• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
All you ******s. Couldn't sleep. Work in 2 and a half hours. I figured ***k it. SF. Here is what I am wearing today. I'm not wearing pants. The shirt is blue and NOT WHITE STITCHY YOU HEAR ME!?! I'm trying your rough on rough advice. The jacket is rougher than it looks. It's going to be worn with some rough gray woolen slacks, but right now its worn with American Apparel boxer briefs. Yeah. ***k you guys its morning here and I can't sleep.

Self edited for profanity. I'm not a morning person.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That shirt is definitely a doozy. If you are against getting rid of it, I would suggest wearing it in a more casual sense. Possibly wearing it without a tie and with a navy or black blazer. Also, the shirt only seems appropriate for a night on the town.

Thanks. I like your suggestion.
You love contrast collars, don't you!

Yes... I like how they look. I'll post some outfits with no contrast collars. Hehe.

This is your first fit I have put a STOP sign on. That shirt is really tricky...maybe a light solid yellow tie?

Thanks. I think I will go with rms340 suggestion. I will use it without a tie, something more casual. But thanks for the suggestion, yeap it's really tricky.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think it gets much better than this TB.

Thank you, sir.

I don't think this look is ideal for younger less conservative folks.

I'm 52, Frankie. My "younger, less conservative" days are behind me. :happy:

Do you find the suit helps to deter helicopter parents from making unfair criticisms?

I honestly don't know. I do get taken pretty seriously, and I do think people have an unconscious tendency to let me run meetings, even when I'm not the most senior player at the table. There are a lot of variables that play into that, however, and I might also just be fooling myself. There are many fascinating threads on SF related to how dressing well affects people's attitudes and behavior. They're well worth searching for.

I really, really, really like your outfit.
Still I always wonder if you could profit from greater cuffs.

All my suit slacks are cuffed at a modest 1.75". I'd be willing go as large as 2", but no more than that.

You are a tall guy and could pull off another inch imo.

That's what she said!

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. :embar:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that many folks don't like black suits, but I do. (My wife says they make me look, "severe" but that's actually the look I needed yesterday.)

Wool Suit: Canali,
Calfskin Shoes: Churches
Silk Tie: Carlo Franco
Stitched linen Pocket Square: Ben Silver (I know, it's poking out too much.)
Shirt: Nordstrom

Men in Black:

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clag - defo better. shirt still looks white. :p

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long shot cancelled today on account of blazing direct sunlight on the back porch.

Deets-15.jpg

Feet-121.jpg

Sleeve-56.jpg

BB Fitz SC
ModernTailor.com shirt (It's blue, by the way)
Sam Hober cashmere tie
Kent Wang PS
Banana Republic slacks
Boss socks
Cheap-ass shoes (Mercanti Fiorentini, if you must know)

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're getting a lot of negative comments on the shirt.

All depends on context, I think.

That shirt works well for a night out with your lady.

That shirt works well for a day at the office if you're the king of the office and you're not in a conservative profession (lawyer, banker, accountant, etc.)

That shirt also works well for a day at the office if you're so successful at what you do that you don't need to be conservative in your dress and can peacock without fear.

The shirt does not work well for a day at at the office if you work in a typical, conservative office environment.

I think it looks good, provided that the context is right.

Hi gents! This is as of yesterday. I was all the day at the office, so I tried this combo (luckily for me, at the office there are not to many people). I wanted to try it, cuase that shirt I don't know with what tie I could use it with a blue suit. I think a lighter grey tie would work fine. But any other colour recommendations? Thanks!

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't it Friday yet...

Suit: Herringbone - This suit is officially too tight in the shoulders and chest now - will be relegated to the archives directly
Shirt: Henry Carter white poplin
Tie: Henry Carter Brown Pin dot 7 fold
Shoes: Herring reading

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isn't it Friday yet...

Suit: Herringbone - This suit is officially too tight in the shoulders and chest now - will be relegated to the archives directly
Shirt: Henry Carter white poplin
Tie: Henry Carter Brown Pin dot 7 fold
Shoes: Herring reading

From this angle, I'm no expert, but I think it looks great, just my thoughts. Plus I think the fabric looks splendid, I like it.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That shirt works well for a day at the office if you're the king of the office and you're not in a conservative profession (lawyer, banker, accountant, etc.)
That shirt also works well for a day at the office if you're so successful at what you do that you don't need to be conservative in your dress and can peacock without fear.
The shirt does not work well for a day at at the office if you work in a typical, conservative office environment.

Thanks Kai. I used that shirt for my prom, almosto two years ago but with a different suit and different tie. I do believe that this shirts is more for something like that, a party that does not requiere black etiquete or something like that, I would not wear it for a wedding or something like that. Also the suit that I wore to my prom was black... and I know SF is not fan of black suits, I like them, but thats a different history hehehe. I work as an ITSM Consultant, most of the time I'm out of the office, I can go to the office in jeans if I want, but I like to wear a suit or Jacket and dress pants. Yesterday there were 3 people in the office and as you mention, it's that conservative, that why I tried the outfit.

Thanks again for the comment, I appreciate it!
smile.gif

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think part of the problem is that the shirt occupies a weird middle ground. The bright purple color puts it immediately into the casual group (still not a color I would recommend, but hey--to each his own). However, the contrast spread collar is quite formal. It thus ends up too formal to wear casually, and too casual to wear formally.

About the only situation I can see it working in is if you are a movie star or something. Even then, I don't think it would look very good, but at least you could understand the effect it was displaying.

Or, like you said, if you are king of the hill and it literally does not matter what you wear :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads