• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PT are those your daughters?

Crusty, I always wonder if you have ever tried a shorter jacket and/or a higher buttoning point? I think it would make you look taller.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Quote: I've decided colored laces just aren't appropriate with a suit.

Maybe it's a bit sad to to choose an item of clothing solely because I want to post it on here. But after the above comment (probably right, but we're all individuals!), I had to post something just for the elegantly-attired Mr Luftvier. The last picture is with your entertainment in mind, Sir. Not with a suit, but a bit of fun nevertheless :)

Yeah, let it fly....
lol8[1].gif

Mad as it might look, I had a great lunch meeting today, deal done I think - might get some more attractive shoes next month!

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A professor from central casting today. Heavy tweed, mohair, corduroy, suede, and a Harvard (Oxford for my homeland) comma to boot.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As an avid fan of brown ties I applaud your effort of expanding your horizons :slayer:. However, I think a darker brown tone would have worked better in this case, the whole ensemble looks a little washed out. Also, tie and PS are too close in colour for me (but it may be due to my computer monitor, for me the tie looks almost red in the last photo). Still, a great looking suit!

The close-up shot of the suit/shirt/tie/PS combo makes the tie look much redder than it is (a property of the camera which I use, which adds red in low-light situations) - the seated shot is the most accurate shot, color-wise. Otherwise, thanks for your insights.

PT are those your daughters?
Crusty, I always wonder if you have ever tried a shorter jacket and/or a higher buttoning point? I think it would make you look taller.

It is incisive (and ironic) that you say that, as the last suit that I bought at New & Lingwood in London was a short, and my salesman at Paul Stuart says that their Phineas Cole line suits me better as the jackets are cut shorter. It seems as if I am shrinking - I had thought that I was 5'10", but was measured for biometrics recently, and was measured as 5'9" - not strictly "short" from a menswear point of view, but leaning in that direction. Who knew? :embar:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
The close-up shot of the suit/shirt/tie/PS combo makes the tie look much redder than it is (a property of the camera which I use, which adds red in low-light situations) - the seated shot is the most accurate shot, color-wise. Otherwise, thanks for your insights.
It is incisive (and ironic) that you say that, as the last suit that I bought at New & Lingwood in London was a short, and my salesman at Paul Stuart says that their Phineas Cole line suits me better as the jackets are cut shorter. It seems as if I am shrinking - I had thought that I was 5'10", but was measured for biometrics recently, and was measured as 5'9" - not strictly "short" from a menswear point of view, but leaning in that direction. Who knew?
shog[1].gif

Either shorter, or higher-buttoning, but not both - that might have the opposite effect, and make you look broader. I'd keep the low two-button, and normal or very slightly shorter. You do have a lovely selection of suits, though.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's a bit sad to to choose an item of clothing solely because I want to post it on here. But after the above comment (probably right, but we're all individuals!), I had to post something just for the elegantly-attired Mr Luftvier. The last picture is with your entertainment in mind, Sir. Not with a suit, but a bit of fun nevertheless :)
Yeah, let it fly....
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

Mad as it might look, I had a great lunch meeting today, deal done I think - might get some more attractive shoes next month!

Which is it? a. 'There are norms of good dress' or b. 'We're all individuals' .

Seems to me that you're having a bet each way. Plenty of 'a' from you until someone calls you out on something like the color of your laces. Then it's 'b'.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe it's a bit sad to to choose an item of clothing solely because I want to post it on here.  But after the above comment (probably right, but we're all individuals!), I had to post something just for the elegantly-attired Mr Luftvier.  The last picture is with your entertainment in mind, Sir.  Not with a suit, but a bit of fun nevertheless :)

Yeah, let it fly....
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

Have to agree with Lufty on the coloured laces, but as you say "suum cuique". Also, have to say I'm not sold on the PS, too matchy with the tie and shirt. But I dig the SC, very nice!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Which is it? a. 'There are norms of good dress' or b. 'We're all individuals' .

Seems to me that you're having a bet each way. Plenty of 'a' from you until someone calls you out on something like the color of your laces. Then it's 'b'.

I don't see that the two are mutually exclusive. Everyone has some "rules" or preferences. But everyone has a different opinion on what's "the norm", or perhaps put more accurately, which "rules" are there to be broken. Me, I don't like the "sockless" thing, and I also don't like penny loafers with a suit. But it doesn't mean they're wrong - they're just wrong to me. Once upon a time the whole "no brown in town" thing was a rule. Now it's an anachronism, and a rule most people break as a style choice, me included.

As for being "called out", I'm not sure what that means. I'm not competing in conformity. I'm only sharing at all because some seem to find the idea offensive that someone might respond to their requests for feedback while not permitting them the same. I'm not asking for approval. So I'm happy to be a sport, but although the opinions of complete strangers on the internet are sometimes interesting, they are hardly going to define my taste.

I think it's nice to see the trends observed by others, but also the individual diversions. There's a lot of tweed around this season - I like it, and I've just bought some myself. I've also been inspired to pick up a couple of accessories the like of which I've seen on this forum. It's a useful source of new ideas. But the "fashions" are just one aspect - the thing I like most on this forum is the quirky eccentricities, even the things that don't quite work. They're all potential sources of inspiration.

The thing is, though, it's not a competition. Just as someone I know has just started imitating the contrasting-shoelace thing having liked the look on me, there are others who will find it anathema. I'm not offended by that and feel no need to adjust my ways as a result. But it would be a sad state of affairs if I were to start trying to imitate whoever seemed to be most popular on an internet forum, and rush to a Ralph Lauren wank-fest with my credit card in hand.

Posting an imitation of others would be a waste of time. If I am bothering at all, I figure it might as well be as individual and caricatured a version of me as possible, otherwise I'm not really contributing anything at all.

Interesting question, though. :)

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Have to agree with Lufty on the coloured laces, but as you say "suum cuique". Also, have to say I'm not sold on the PS, too matchy with the tie and shirt. But I dig the SC, very nice!

Quite understandable, the shoes are offensive enough on their own. I was just in the mood today for a bit of silliness; I think it's healthy not to take it all too seriously!

I was in two minds about the PS, was also considering a darker blue or a safe white. But in defence of this one, what doesn't really come across in the photo is that the blue items are all different shades and very different textures: twill shirt, coarsely-woven silk tie, satin PS. Thanks for the feedback anyway; you do have a point.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while, and have no idea how this will be received, but here was my fit today. Taking a cue from Albert, the SC is secondhand and vintage.
Deets: Coat: HF SC: Oxxford Waistcoat: J. Crew Shirt: Borrelli Tie: Italian woven wool, maker unknown Square: Italian silk, maker unknown Trou: Zegna Shoes: AE (Sorry about the waistcoat lapel here. This is the only shot that shows the square.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I haven't posted in a while, and have no idea how this will be received, but here was my fit today. Taking a cue from Albert, the SC is secondhand and vintage.
Deets: Coat: HF SC: Oxxford Waistcoat: J. Crew Shirt: Borrelli Tie: Italian woven wool, maker unknown Square: Italian silk, maker unknown Trou: Zegna Shoes: AE (Sorry about the waistcoat lapel here. This is the only shot that shows the square.
I think this falls into the "trying too hard" category. It looks like you have a roughly textured tweed waistcoat underneath a worsted suit jacket, paired with the pants from a different worsted suit. Combined with the generally poor fit of these items (tie/shirt showing below the waistcoat and pants nearly puddling at your feet), the net result is not good. I do like the combination of shirt, tie, and waistcoat, though.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Old stuff, today:
DB 3 piece MTM Hickey Freeman
Shirt: Claymore Shop
Pocket Square: unknown and ancient

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads