1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

2. Dewi

Dewi Well-Known Member

Looks like Glenfiddich 12 yo.

I like the SC, clap. Even if you don't.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. Sugiya

Sugiya Member

5. twistoffat

twistoffat Well-Known Member

6. Claghorn

I'm not a fan of the dark shirt with a tie thing that seems to have popped up several times in the last few weeks.

1 person likes this.
  7. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Well-Known Member

Agreed, it's very difficult to make it work.
    Also, I would add that it's totally dependent on the demeanor of the wearer, something that often get lost in a clothing focused discussion (perhaps we use the reputation of the poster as an equivalent).

1 person likes this.
  8. Zythophile

Zythophile Member

My attem at trying to make the weather warmer! Thoughts? Sorry about the quality of first image - photobucket being rubbish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Well-Known Member

I wanted that collar to be a real buttondown sooooo badly. Alas. No. Still like it though.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  10. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Seriously. I'm not sure where this is coming from. In any case, it is not a good thing.

11. aravenel

Zytho, unfortunately, this jacket doesn't fit you particularly well. It is far too short, and looks a bit small in the chest.

Also, that looks like a very summery jacket... Is it linen?

Also, it's hard to tell without a full body shot, but it looks like those trousers taper a bit too much for you--they make your hips look overly wide in comparison to your legs.

1 person likes this.
  12. twistoffat

I´m confused. Please tell me why a dark shirt is not a good thing?

13. aravenel

Because it doesn't look good on, well, just about anyone.

Had that been a light blue shirt it would have been much better. Not a fan of the black satin tie either, but I can't tell what else you are wearing, so I can recommend something better.

14. Claghorn

Nothing is wrong with a dark shirt by itself, perhaps in the context of a club or something. With a tie and jacket, it murders the contrast you generally need for those elements to look good.

If you are wearing a tie for business reasons, a dark shirt violates business dress norms. If you are wearing a tie for aesthetic reasons, then why pick a background that renders it either invisible or faded? Either way, dark shirt is a no-go.

I'm guessing the same principle applies in explaining why light ties are so much harder to pull off than dark ties.

I suppose you could wear a dark shirt with a light tie and a light jacket and still get the same aesthetic contrast...but it would be an inversion of what is seen as standard and people would probably register it as being very odd.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  15. Zythophile

Zythophile Member

Cheers, yea it's a linen wool mix I think so should hold its shape ok. I think it's the photo as it does fit! It's a little too long if anything - it reaches the ends of my fingers.

I'll concede the trousers...but I do have fat hips lol.

16. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

+1 Very well said.

17. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Well-Known Member

Don't be offended, but I think that you should take your time to read more before trying to post a fit again.
    Some recommendations: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309586/whnay-s-good-taste-thread/0_30 , http://www.styleforum.net/t/317329/jrds-guide-to-coherent-sportcoat-combinations , http://www.styleforum.net/t/177616/on-pants

Because it's a classic menswear custom, shirts must be in a lighter color than the accompanying jacket.

18. twistoffat

You don´t need to recommend anything. Unfortunately the iphone pics are not the best and the navy shirt and tie look a bit black. The shirt and tie are not that dark.
    I don´t know if you are familiar with the traditional Jil Sander navy blue. If you are thats it. I agree with you on Black shirts. Unless you have a tan they make you look pale and are limited in their diversity. That said in relation to dark shirts and navy or black or grey. When is dark too dark?

19. aravenel

+1. Well said.

20. aravenel

Nothing wrong with fat hips, we can't control our body shape. We can control how we dress to emphasize our best points, and de-emphasize our less favorable aspects.

In this case, the wide hips plus severe taper makes you look pear-shaped. Not a good thing. Some trousers with less taper would not have this effect and would be much more elegant.

Just because something is trendy (skinny trousers) doesn't mean they work for your body type--don't try to squeeze yourself into something that doesn't work for your body type!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.