• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why did you decide to put flap pockets on this jacket, Vic?
Donegal seems to cry out for patch pockets, no?
It's a gorgeous piece either way. I'm only asking because I'm just starting to experiment with MTM sport coats and I'm trying to learn the customs and protocols.

not in my book.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yet another new SC by Isaia...
f4e91ceb.jpg

75c84ce8.jpg

75166f33.jpg

..and new kicks too.

Isaia lightweight cashmere SC
Battistoni shirt
Unlined Cesare Attolini tie
Talbott square
Panta panta
Sutor Mantellassi boots

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And I'm pretty short, so I sympathize. We are both wider than we'd like relative to our verticality. That's exactly why skinny lapels are a particularly bad idea for both of us. I realize they are the trend, but that doesn't make them any better looking or less detrimental to your specific aesthetic.
For shoes, just pick something less square and that isn't black. Assuming you changed nothing else about this outfit, I would pick ones that are dark brown or burgundy.

ah yes, the life of the "imperfectly built." tbh, im not at a point yet that i even considered the width of my lapels. i buy whay i think fits ok, and what i like, i have yet to have the financial freedom to be that astute with my clothing. but it will be something to at least be mindful of, thanks.

however, in the fit from yesterday, although that jacket was terrible fit wise imo, the lapels were wider, and i felt like it looked ichy. were those any better iyo, just the lapel, not the rest of the fit, i know it was off.

as to shoes, interesting, i assumed with all the black in the pants, jacket and tie, that brown shoes would look out of place.

But in those cases, it is not the pleats that ruin the pants. It's the pants generally sucking.

:laugh:

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like both flat front and pleats. I own both and I like both of them equally. Although I own more flat fronts than pleats.:embar:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

f4e91ceb.jpg

75c84ce8.jpg

75166f33.jpg
..and new kicks too.
Battistoni shirt
Talbott square
Panta panta
Sutor Mantellassi boots

great SC, you must have had a sweet hookup for that. ;)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is always true on Styleforum. Elsewhere, it is optional and also depends on the weight of the cloth as some people, tailors in particular, think heavy clothes do not make up well with patch pockets since the patches sit on the outside of the coat and add bulk. I have suggested to tailors that they would be able to get rid of lots of old ideas, outmoded experience and hidebound tradition if only they would only spend more of their apprenticeship learning on the internet instead of the workroom.

+1

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

as to shoes, interesting, i assumed with all the black in the pants, jacket and tie, that brown shoes would look out of place.

There is black in your jacket, but since it is peppered with white and gray, it comes off as grayish overall. This is always the case with black-and-white weaves. "Gray" herringbones, houndstooths, and plaids are often actually a mix of white and black threads.

If those trousers are black, they should be burned.

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

f4e91ceb.jpg

75c84ce8.jpg

75166f33.jpg
..and new kicks too.
Battistoni shirt
Talbott square
Panta panta
Sutor Mantellassi boots

For some reason the pants+boot combination here looks even better than usual.:worship:

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

not sure if this is all working together or not :confused:
Untitled-14.jpg

dcba3195.jpg

755ed0d4.jpg
edit - excuse the porch mess. morning shopping wasnt brought in the house just yet.

looks great broski

btw, can the kiton not be tailored?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
On this whole "flat" versus pleated front business, my question is why not pleats also in the back?

On most guys, this could improve their gait since their knees could go higher with each step.

And the twirls would be magical.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads