• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackunderpants

Reaction score
350x525px-LL-45dc25ac_IMG_6324.jpeg
35kir9e.jpg

I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it myself, but the progress from before is remarkable.

Haha, who is that guy?
Cool look
satisfied.gif

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overcoat is The Finnish Navy coat. It is dark navy. I am going to change the coat with black buttons.

It'd be a shame. Its a very nice coat. I just think you need to balance it out with a bit of color and distinctly non-military clothing. Maybe more colorful pants, corduroy or something.

Then again I suck at casual.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and say that that coat looks like a costume piece. As a Soldier, I think it looks really stupid when people wear items clearly associated with the military that haven' been diluted by ubiquity. It just looks like dressing up to me and is similarly as ridiculous as someone outside the medical world wearing scrubs.

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm going to go ahead and say that that coat looks like a costume piece. As a Soldier, I think it looks really stupid when people wear items clearly associated with the military that haven' been diluted by ubiquity. It just looks like dressing up to me and is similarly as ridiculous as someone outside the medical world wearing scrubs.

While I get your sentiment, I think military inspired details have long been a part of the sartorial sphere, which i think gives them a pass. I do understand how it can be seen as a right, earned by those who served, but I think that ship has sailed in terms of its acceptance

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While I get your sentiment, I think military inspired details have long been a part of the sartorial sphere, which i think gives them a pass. I do understand how it can be seen as a right, earned by those who served, but I think that ship has sailed in terms of its acceptance

I agree but I exempted a lot of things that have been diluted by ubiquity: denim, cargo pockets, camp collars, peacoats, trench coats, jump boots etc. The coat Jmasa is wearing looks like a straight up uniform item. It's the striped epaulets that bother me the most, without those it would just look like a militaryish topcoat.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I agree but I exempted a lot of things that have been diluted by ubiquity: denim, cargo pockets, camp collars, peacoats, trench coats, jump boots etc. The coat Jmasa is wearing looks like a straight up uniform item. It's the striped epaulets that bother me the most, without those it would just look like a militaryish topcoat.

With all of the current social problems the world faces you are crying over epaulets.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With all of the current social problems the world faces you are crying over epaulets.

What does this have to do with anything? I don't like the kid's coat and have a somewhat unique reason for feeling that way and decided to share it. There's no crying here...

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

So? In addition to the inspiration of military uniform refered to by NYR (without which, BTW, we would have very few Savile Row tailors at all), military clothing has long taken inspiration from civilian items or adapted them - indeed the greatcoat is one such item. This interplay has long complicated any clear distinction. Secondly, militaries all over the world have also long made plenty of money selling surplus equipment so it's rather ridiculous to insist that people shouldn't wear them. And finally, I have no problem in people wearing military clothes subversively, to deliberately demilitarize them by combining them with non-military items and wearing them in a non-military context. That last point is a question of culture - in many countries there simply isn't the celebration / fetishization of the military that exists in the USA - and of course personal politics - on which we would no doubt disagree - but the other points can't really be denied.

I think this example looks fantastic and I beg JMasa to keep the buttons!

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rob, something's going on with the vest and trou, like I feel the bottom of the vest should sit flush with the waist of the trou. Other than that I think it looks good and the footwear is awesome, more deets please!

+1. It looks like pants are sitting very low on the hips and were not meant to be worn that way... but the pockets are flaring as well, which makes me think the pants are a bit too tight and can't go any higher. The suit itself is lovely, though!

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wearing the hell out of my tweed stuff as long as the weather allows it (it's been the coldest week in Sweden this winter).

Same bow tie as last time, in a new combo

Fabrics et c.

Beat shoes that somehow seemed appropriate for the mix of ruff fabrics/patterns

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys...yes the suit was made when I was 20 pounds lighter 4 years ago. the jacket has been let out but the pants haven't, and I have put on a few pounds in ****** and thighs as well as upper body which would cause the pants to be a bit wonky...I guess I'll have to suck it up and get them let out a bit...:)

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Thanks for the comments guys...yes the suit was made when I was 20 pounds lighter 4 years ago. the jacket has been let out but the pants haven't, and I have put on a few pounds in ****** and thighs as well as upper body which would cause the pants to be a bit wonky...I guess I'll have to suck it up and get them let out a bit...:)

The sweet spot waist let out on SF now is 5cm.

This number has been established in various threads, at also at high cost, so it's worth remembering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads