• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptym

Reaction score
Just got caught up on the last few days. Happy to see gazman and maomao.
5-65.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Neat jacket. Square would have looked better as a poof imho.

Looking good. Very Manton-meets-Phat Guido.
Who will help poor Acrid?

That looks nice, Sheepy.

+1, w/ the exception that the square looks like it has really thick edge stitching.

I have never been able to justify the ordering of a Dinner Suit, yet have always wanted one, the opportunity to acquire one that I liked, for free, was to good an opportunity to pass up!

Good thinkin'.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe a more earth toned tie would have put this into the "country" zone but I like the colors all the same.

I think that if the predominant pieces (jacket, trousers) were browns/tans as opposed to greys it would read more 'country'

Good points, gentlemen. I was focused so narrowly on pattern and texture that I neglected to 't take color into consideration. Perhaps this fit from last week would have made for a more "countrified" submission, but only if I were to swap out the white shirt for a button-collar blue oxford, no?

Closeup-133.jpg

Sleeve-43.jpg

Feet-71.jpg

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good points, gentlemen. I was focused so narrowly on pattern and texture that I neglected to 't take color into consideration. Perhaps this fit from last week would have made for a more "countrified" submission, but only if I were to swap out the white shirt for a button-collar blue oxford, no?
Closeup-133.jpg

Sleeve-43.jpg

Feet-71.jpg

Socks from Clarks? I'm wearing the same ones.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need your help. Please- a young guy with a limited wardrobe. And I do know that's a poor imitation of a three-piece. Dad had it for his tuxedo (yes, I know), and while I was able to point out his errors, I am in need of more professional assistance.
I think your doing the best you can with this suit. It's black so there's not much you can do with a black suit. The shoes needs to be polished or more formal. You are wearing what are considered casual shoes with a formal three-piece suits. That doesn't work well... Personally I like to show about a 1/4 inch of sleeve. Your jackets sleeves are bit long but thats a very easy fix. The break on the pants is personal prefence, but it does look like the cuffs were poorly put together. Like I said, this is a just a very simple look.

Parterre

Reaction score
Thank you. I've noticed the sleeves do seem too long, and the break is not by any kind of choice. The vest does not actually go with this suit (this is mine, my only one)- I had never actually worn a vest before and just wanted to try it on.

What should I do to fix the sleeves and the break. Wear it higher? Thanks!

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ diesel has given you some good advice here. The suit is not terrible by any means, but not great. The pants do need a little attention but you MUST get some better shoes. That would make a significant improvement by itself. Next time try to take a very standard "fit pic"... full frontal shot with natural pose, arms at sides. the robo pose if you will... then everyone can see how it fits more easily.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you. I've noticed the sleeves do seem too long, and the break is not by any kind of choice. The vest does not actually go with this suit (this is mine, my only one)- I had never actually worn a vest before and just wanted to try it on. 

What should I do to fix the sleeves and the break. Wear it higher? Thanks!

interesting you mentioned that b/c if I'm not mistaken I noticed that it looks like the buttons are covered... yes? in that case it doesn't match the jacket so you might want to change them. One word of advice.... get the shoes you will wear with the pants before you go adjusting anything.... depending the break may be higher or lower or not at all.. those are somewhat bulky shoes you're wearing. and the sleeve cuff can be shortened by any tailor...easy fix.

Last edited:

Parterre

Reaction score
Okay, thanks, I'll see what I can do about the sleeves. The vest is no longer with me- it was a rental for a mediocre tuxedo.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That's a serious colour shift; comes across as a (rather nice actually) olive green on my screen.

The photo angle is a bit dodgy too, what with the Freudian chair leg placement... :laugh:

Friggin' shrinks, always running to Freud :) Yea, it is a big shift, I don't know anything about photograph and therefore can't tell you why, but I promise the pants are actually a dark brown.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the jacket sleeves are fine. It's your shirt sleeves that are too short.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and thumps up today guys, CP, TB, Nii, Acrid, Patrick, SB and UC. Much appreciated.

Acrid, it is a lovely fabric! Its a prl polo II cut in really soft flannel. The color is a bit more mid grey than the pix imply (shows up more charcoal in pictures) and has alot of texture. It is my first 3 button suit, so I had to get used to the cut, but the fabric sold me!

@TB I decided to download some self-timers for my phone and it seemed to work out alot better. The issue is lighting in most of the places I can take pictures is not ideal. I will keep experimenting. I think it is fun to post despite my limited wardrobe and funds, so I want to contribute good pictures at the least.

Great looks today all around I would say gents.

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I like your outfit a lot. Unusual colour and texture suit fabric. I also like how you play on the brown of the suit fabric against the PS, and the black in the Tie. I also like your collar stance / tie knot arrangement, looks pretty cool to me Mister. Stark monochrome and stance adds presence IMO.

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What was that movie about the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads