1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaune Head

Beaune Head Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Diggin the Mardi Gras decor...

2. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that this early in the game even, this may be the best entries for any challenge ever. EVER.

I think it's already the best. I'm loving it.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Some very amusing entries in the challenge.

I have to say though, more than a few of them are a lot closer to costume party than using a particular celebrity as an inspiration for a new look. I'm not a fan of that, at least not in this thread.

Using a particular celebrity outfit as a base inspiration, and then re-interpreting it by using certain aesthetic touches or elements to enhance your own look is a really great thing and a way to learn new ways of dressing.

But just copying an outfit/photo as closely as possible isn't something that inspires me at all, sorry. It's still fun to see the entries though; as one-off contest, it's certainly entertaining.

But to those that have re-interpreted rather than copied, you get some extra kudos from me. I think when I vote, I'll have to allocate one vote to "best costume" and one to "best outfit". It's almost like there are two separate contests going on...

Anyway, this is all just my carping from the sidelines, since I'm not actually taking part this week due to a combination of disinterest in the costume party aspect and general lack of any particular need to dress up today. You'll just have to settle for regular HF as usual. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Don't worry Orge, we're all playing for second this week. [​IMG]

Also, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but that one pose, with the smoke, you could kind of pass for a slightly less foppish Pee Wee Herman.

Sadly, that's not the first time I've gotten that comment. [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure NOBD gets praise more because his stuff fits well and looks good. His photoshops add to it but you can't make your clothes fit via and look good via photoshop alone.

I understand what Orgetorix says. The thing is, I don't have to dress up for work and I like simple (zzz) stuff. The challenges"”for me"”are about having fun; that's why I try to come up with something 'new', whenever I get the chance.

This one started out with the Bullitt-outfit, then I thought a background would be nice, and after that the idea of the film poster came to mind. It combines three (or even four) things I like: clothing, photography and graphic design (and fooling around with language).

Don't get me wrong--I'm not hating on NOBD's clothes. They fit him better than mine do me, most of the time.

All I'm saying is that I think while photography shouldn't get in the way of appreciating a fit, it also shouldn't boost poor or boring or just ho-hum fits. And I include myself in that, as well.

The Bullitt poster is legitimately awesome, NOBD. I truly do wish I had your Photoshop skills. I just wish you put as much effort into doing fun and creative things with your clothes as you do with your photos. With a little more variety, you have the potential to be legendary.

5. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Wow, good work guys. These are very imaginative!

6. NotDickDiver

NotDickDiver Well-Known Member

OMG SYLAR!!

[​IMG]

Dude, elgreco is way better looking than the other guy who's ears apparently has melted to the side of his face.

7. Redwoood

Redwoood Well-Known Member

Dude, elgreco is way better looking than the other guy who's ears apparently has melted to the side of his face.

say what?

[​IMG]

8. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Well-Known Member

I like the way this week's competition is shaping up...

[​IMG]
    Brilliant... but would McQueen really have gone with 3 buttons? (I honestly can't remember)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Like yours better than the original actually. He seems to have some shoulder fit issues.

[​IMG]
    Don't care about the DTO'ing - just love this fit.

9. PandArts

PandArts Well-Known Member

say what?

[​IMG]

Fixed:

[​IMG]

10. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Well-Known Member

The only thing I'm DTO'ing today is the dullness of the weather. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Brilliant... but would McQueen really have gone with 3 buttons? (I honestly can't remember)

Thanks. Nope, 3-2 (mine is 3-2.5) and dark trousers...

[​IMG]

Imageshack people; change your host because it doesn't let many countries see what you are using. Use http://www.imgur.com or something else.

Does this one work?

[​IMG]

12. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

Some very amusing entries in the challenge.

I have to say though, more than a few of them are a lot closer to costume party than using a particular celebrity as an inspiration for a new look. I'm not a fan of that, at least not in this thread.

Using a particular celebrity outfit as a base inspiration, and then re-interpreting it by using certain aesthetic touches or elements to enhance your own look is a really great thing and a way to learn new ways of dressing.

But just copying an outfit/photo as closely as possible isn't something that inspires me at all, sorry. It's still fun to see the entries though; as one-off contest, it's certainly entertaining.

But to those that have re-interpreted rather than copied, you get some extra kudos from me. I think when I vote, I'll have to allocate one vote to "best costume" and one to "best outfit". It's almost like there are two separate contests going on...

With all due respect, I think you have it wrong, HF. The Challenge was clearly to DTO a celebrity. DTO means copy a celebrity....not necessarily come up with your own unique fit based upon a celebrity as inspiration.

I also think everyone looked for something within their comfort zone/wardbrobe to DTO. It would be very different if people were randomly assigned someone outside of their own typical manner of dress, and had to broaden their horizons. Take a good look at the fits again and see what is going on. I don't see many fits that would not be worn by the poster outside of this Challenge.

I know when I chose mine, I went for something that I owned already, and that was a trademark of my celeb. I don't know if you consider me one of the "costumey" ones, and I admit my selection is not exactly conservative, but this is a suit I wear regularly when the season is warm and one that I have posted a few times already. As a matter of fact, it is one of my personal favorites.

Mike

13. acridsheep

acridsheep Well-Known Member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    With all due respect, I think you have it wrong, HF. The Challenge was clearly to DTO a celebrity. DTO means copy a celebrity....not necessarily come up with your own unique fit based upon a celebrity as inspiration.

I also think everyone looked for something within their comfort zone/wardbrobe to DTO. It would be very different if people were randomly assigned someone outside of their own typical manner of dress, and had to broaden their horizons. Take a good look at the fits again and see what is going on. I don't see a single fit that isn't something that would probably be worn by the poster outside of this Challenge.

I know when I chose mine, I went for something that I owned already, and that was a trademark of my celeb. I don't know if you consider me one of the "costumey" ones, and I admit my selection is not exactly conservative, but this is a suit I wear regularly when the season is warm and one that I have posted a few times already. As a matter of fact, it is one of my personal favorites.

Mike

+1. Even though SF has transformed my wardrobe, I confess to wearing today's exact fit when the mood strikes.

14. Fred H.

Fred H. Well-Known Member

Great, great, great job guys. I'm busy as can be getting ready for a huge client meeting that starts on Sunday, but a shout-out to ALL who took the time to DTO!

15. SG-22

SG-22 Member

My humble entry to the Friday Challenge. Being a red head from Britain there's only really one choice

[​IMG]

Some say the less stylish of the pair, I say he's on the rise (when he's not wearing a Nazi uniform). Prince Harry

[​IMG]

16. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Well-Known Member

Friday Challenge - Puttin' On The Ritz

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Let's do this every year about this time (see this thread, page 430, March 16, 2010):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- B

17. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Nothing for the celebitation... As I look at the full-length shot, I see that the left SC sleeve seems longer. I'll have to check that out. Rubber soles for the monsoon this morning, but now there's a completely clear blue sky outside my office window. So much for the threat of snow in San Francisco... [​IMG]

18. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Let's do this every year about this time (see this thread, page 430, March 16, 2010):

Holy shit.

19. TTO

TTO Well-Known Member

Holy shit.

+1
    -TTO

20. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Holy shit.

Absolutely--wow, that's freaky. I had no idea. I was just looking through my copy of Fred Astaire Style and thought those were good looks to copy.

I also considered a few other options, and I may DTO them in the coming weeks:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.