1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Thank you for the input! I was really sort of looking for fit opinion on the sportcoat, but I'll change pants -- brown.

No prob--I figure we're all grown men here so it pays to be frank. It just seems to me there was no need to turn this outfit into a gimmick. The problem with this thread is that 90% of the outfits posted are show-off outfits, intended to draw attention to the fact you care about how you dress and make sure everyone knows you just bought this or that. If everyone calmed down a bit and didn't try so damned hard to express "personal" style, they'd look a hell of a lot better.

2. JPHardy

JPHardy Well-Known Member

I've been pretty forthright in WAYWRN about my terrible style sense.

Not in furniture. But get the star clock of the fireplace.

3. mafoofan

I've been pretty forthright in WAYWRN about my terrible style sense. That's why I'm here! So chalk it up not to ostentatiousness (?), but to incompetence.

Then my advice is to keep it plain and simple. Work on getting the details right rather than trying to be bold. It is much harder than you think.

In this case, the fool-proof trouser color would have been a light or medium grey and any tie would have looked better that was less loud and in-your-face. So, the question is: did you simply not know those things beforehand, or did you have a reason for taking a different route? I suspect it's more likely the latter. You don't just stumble upon a pair of trousers or tie like that. There's no need to reinvent the wheel when wheels work very well as they are and are very hard to make correctly.

4. bleachboy

bleachboy Well-Known Member

Not in furniture. But get the star clock of the fireplace.

LOL! I had taken it down and was using the peg to hang sportcoats from. (See sig)

5. niidawg3

niidawg3 Well-Known Member

Did you just call Vox an old Asian guy?

Damn, that's cold.

Naah ... i wasnt, so i'm gonna assume you are joking. Vox posted a picture of an Asian guy in a brown chalkstripe DB with a similar colored tie ... which i thought was a homerun.

Everyone says it's great when I'm constructive and precise until they're the subject.

A better combination would be any number of things. Really, I very much dislike that outfit and think it utterly fails, so you could try almost anything else and it would be an improvement. Swap out the tie and trousers for anything less random and try-hard, and you're good to go. A blue jacket and blue shirt should be an almost fool-proof base for an outfit. I think you have to want to make a show of things to f*ck it up--and, if I had to venture a guess, that applies to the poster. Why else pick such a bright, flashy tie and such an unusual color for your trousers?

How about "swap the pants out with XX, keep the tie/shirt OR swap the tie/shirt out with XX and keep the pants. There are elements of his fit that can be worn at any time.

C-

6. mafoofan

How about "swap the pants out with XX, keep the tie/shirt OR swap the tie/shirt out with XX and keep the pants. There are elements of his fit that can be worn at any time.

Burn the tie, keep the trousers for another season and a more casual outfit. Make the trousers grey. Always grey (well, almost always). Fun pants are no better than fun ties or fun shirts.

7. Diavolo

Diavolo Well-Known Member

Then my advice is to keep it plain and simple. Work on getting the details right rather than trying to be bold. It is much harder than you think.

In this case, the fool-proof trouser color would have been a light or medium grey and any tie would have looked better that was less loud and in-your-face. So, the question is: did you simply not know those things beforehand, or did you have a reason for taking a different route? I suspect it's more likely the latter. You don't just stumble upon a pair of trousers or tie like that. There's no need to reinvent the wheel when wheels work very well as they are and are very hard to make correctly.

Careful, radical comments like this can inspire hatred.

8. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

Try, "schmatta."

When are you moving to Florida?

[​IMG]

- B

I've got an option on Del Boca Vista Phase IV.

9. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

Everyone says it's great when I'm constructive and precise until they're the subject.
    Not everyone. Foo, if only for reasons of sheer disgust, at least your critiques are thought out. Others are as well. All such pointers are effective & welcome.

10. TC (Houston)

Careful, radical comments like this can inspire hatred.

Interesting how the most hated critics seem to have the greatest power to effect change/improvement.

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Someone photoshop some explosions in the background.

[​IMG]

Great pics.

I hope everyone is having a blast at work like me today!!! Maybe I'm just running on fumes.

I suppose whether that's good depends on what fumes you're inhaling. Nice to see someone cheerful in amongst all the boring blather in this thread over the past 24hrs. More pics, people! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. niidawg3

Burn the tie, keep the trousers for another season and a more casual outfit. Make the trousers grey. Always grey (well, almost always). Fun pants are no better than fun ties or fun shirts.

Send the tie to Vox ... lol.

More importantly - almost always grey? Imagine a world where we all wore navy jackets, blue shirts and grey pants.

13. Diavolo

Diavolo Well-Known Member

What if I keep everything as is, but simply go about in bare feet?

Subtle, but when noticed, I think it will provoke astonishment, which we know is a synonym for "envy."

I also feel that I could draw in the energy of the Earth Mother more easily this way.

Let me know.

- B

Okay. There are clear advantages in this.
    Eventually your feet would harden like those of the Australian Aborigines, which will allow you to chase Kangaroos and giant frill-collared lizards across the blazing rocks and desert of the outback - I believe that is what it's called.
    But I insist that the money you will save on not buying Lobbs and Kitons you spend on a full-time pedicurist.
    You will have to beware the constant attention of the Hare Krishnas however.

14. gregaz

gregaz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

15. mafoofan

All dressed up for salsbury steak night at the supper club. Finally got my mohair back after a month in for surgery.

[​IMG]

Not bad. However, I really do hate solid white shirts paired with solid white sqaures. It's too sharp and graphic--and a wasted opportunity to marry the other pieces of your outfit together. Consider that it is undisputedly banal to wear a matching tie and square, and you would never wear a square in the exact same color and pattern as your non-white shirt. Why is white and whit okay? It's less unusual, but I think it's equally wrong.

16. bleachboy

Point well said and well taken. You are right that I generally try to avoid being boring when I dress. I didn't really consciously think about it until you pointed out that the tie and trousers didn't just magically appear in my closet. So, with that in mind:

[​IMG]

17. niidawg3

waaay better.

is u just chilling in the crib trying out different 'fits?

18. bleachboy

waaay better.

is u just chilling in the crib trying out different 'fits?

Thanks!

Yeah, I already worked today but tonight I am the speaker at an AA meeting.

19. niidawg3

20. TC (Houston)

Not bad. However, I really do hate solid white shirts paired with solid white sqaures. It's too sharp and graphic--and a wasted opportunity to marry the other pieces of your outfit together. Consider that it is undisputedly banal to wear a matching tie and square, and you would never wear a square in the exact same color and pattern as your non-white shirt. Why is white and whit okay? It's less unusual, but I think it's equally wrong.

Thanks, man. I tend to agree with you. The shirt is actually white with a micro blue overcheck, so reads pale blue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.