1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: Labels, heels and nail patterns - Secrets to ID the maker

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Nov 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

Xpost from thrift thread - what's the approximate era of this BB label?

[​IMG]

2. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

That is odd. The writing def looks like C&J, not AS. Strange. Could it be a re-heel?

3. jjl5000

jjl5000 Well-Known Member

IIRC Church's 'Royals' had the three larger brass pins along the dove tail but I can't recall if they also had a double row of pins around the heel edges.

4. jjl5000

jjl5000 Well-Known Member

Church's Royal collection (not a match after all)...

[​IMG]

5. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

6. ajsnyr

ajsnyr Member

Any help IDing these pants would be appreciated! The wool feels really nice but don't have much experience with pant labels.
    [​IMG]

7. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me identify the maker of this Blue Label sport jacket? It's a herringbone tweedy thing and couldn't make sense of the labels myself...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: My guess would be Hickey Freeman, but I'm stumped for an age - possibly mid 90's?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  8. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Well-Known Member

I feel like BarrlenTrigger(?) had a post earlier in this thread about who made Polo blue label before Corneliani. Can't remember the answer, but I'm pretty sure it was not HF. Sorry.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  9. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

100% not hickey freeman

1 person likes this.
  10. namdaemun

namdaemun Well-Known Member

The script threw me off but the nails scream Crockett and Jones.

Help?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. hooker4186

^^^ Definitely C&J. I think that's an older stamp they were using before the handwritten stuff on their current offerings:

Here's another pair if C&J with the same stamp.
    http://styleforum-testing.s3.amazonaws.com/3/3a/3a60e614_vbattach29788.jpg
    from here:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/141679/fs-crockett-jones-black-suede-chukkas-10-5e/0_100

Newer writing:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-e1TJ9To3mL0/T3c56W7NlsI/AAAAAAAABIg/Ei12P6ye0-I/s1600/IMG_4039.JPG
    (those from some recent C&J for Polo).
    From here:
    http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2012/04/crockett-jones-for-polo-ralph-lauren.html

12. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Thanks - think I found the discussion regarding a similar label earlier in this thread (page 89). So, I suppose it would be pretty tricky to find out who made this if Polo were doing everything from their own factories eh... Would anyone be able to comment on the quality - canvassed / half canvassed etc?

13. namdaemun

namdaemun Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification!

I thought the handwritten meant the shoes are older whereas the electronic script meant newer?

14. hooker4186

Pretty sure the handwriting is recent. I have a pair of these (Peal by C&J for BB) that have the handwritten script, and as they are still on the site I'd imagine it's what they're currently using:
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-...dwvar_273H_Color=BLCK&contentpos=63&cgid=0522

I've also seen the handwriting on quite a few pairs of recent C&J for Polo that I've handled.

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

PRL made for PRL before Corneliani. Corneliani got the license sometime in the mid-late 1990s Quality was pretty good, IMHO, though the older stuff is the betters stuff. The 1980s/early 90s is roughly on par with the silver label Hickey. The older stuff is easily on par, from a construction standpoint, with Corneliani. Cut and fit were obviously very different. -- Several questions. Carroll & Co. Who is this? [​IMG] C&J right? [​IMG] [​IMG] Anybody know who this tie tag belongs to? Bit of a shot in the dark, I know... [​IMG] Anyone know about this company? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  16. hooker4186

Cheaney, on the 175 last (second from the right): http://www.cheaney.co.uk/cheaney-size-fit.php e: that's older Cheaney - they've moved to a handwritten script for their interior labeling. Don't have a photo handy for comparison tho at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  17. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Well-Known Member

I second, Cheaney

Re: the Carroll Company, if I remember correctly from what the CC rep at Beverly Hills said, only Chester Barrie and Samuelsohn (i think?) made their sport coats. CB from the past and Samuelsohn in the present

18. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Well-Known Member

+1. Samuelsohn makes a number of items for C&C, this is one of them. CB for C&C will look just like the regular CB tag, will be made in England and usually says on the C&C label that it was made by CB for C&C. C&C has also had items made for them by Zegna, HF, Oxxford and others.

1 person likes this.
  19. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Well-Known Member

Really? He told me only CB and Samuelsohn. That's good to know! Thanks, CD

20. hooker4186

Thrift thread xpost - I think these are Edward Green for Alan Mcafee? Same script as the Cheaney's GMMcL posted above, but I believe the "89" is the last reference given the location as well as none of the other numbers turning up anything, and EG is the only English maker I can track down with that last. Or maybe Alfred Sargent? Anyone have any insights?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]