1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Hoarders

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, Feb 23, 2010.

1. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be able to watch for similar reasons to Kai's. My mom went from "pack rat" to "hoarder" as her dementia advanced. It hadn't reached the proportions that Kai describes, but it still took us months to clear out her house when she moved to assisted living. I'd almost say that she had a shopping mania more than a hoarding complex; her bedroom was about 4' deep in clothing from TJ Maxx and Chico's - I get the shudders whenever I pass one of those stores.

It always freaks me out when I see similar tendencies in myself.

2. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

My aunt, who is in her 60's, is a hoarder. She has a large apartment (she lives by herself) and I remember a family gathering there 12-15 years ago where we had well over 20 people and there was so still so much empty space. Last time I was there, about 7-8 years ago, I had to enter her apartment sideways. The front door could not be fully opened and the hallway was packed from floor to ceiling with only a small space in the middle available to walk through. In the living room, if I sat on sofa A and you sat on sofa B, we could not sit across from each other as our legs would hit since the two sofas were pushed up against each other and every other square inch in the room is taken with furniture/paintings/garbage bags full of stuff/old TV's and lamps. I'm told the bedrooms are the same and you can barely make out the bed. She has a cat that must get lost amongst all that crap. And the cat, it pisses/craps in the toilet. She's taught the fucking cat to use the toilet. I haven't taken my kids there and don't plan on it. She's not "crazy", yet she lives like a crazy person. Can't explain it. She can converse with you about the days events, doesn't have any bizarre "theories" or outlooks, she just has a salvation army store in her apartment :confused:

3. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

Have you guys (family) thought about getting her some help?

4. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

well, she doesn't have a problem if you ask her, so its hard to help someone that does not think they need help. Her married daughter was staying with her for awhile but that was temporary and she says she is not planning on going back. Her son is a successful business owner, but they have issues (he's gay and has not really come out but you'd have to be stupid not to know). I think she's blocked that out of her mind and he lives in her building as he feels responsible to keep an eye on her but the relationship is not really strong and he is not really living the life that he wants to so there's a lot more than just the hoarding going on. My family is a mess, if I had Bill Gates's money, I'd probably go through at least half of it on therapy for everyone and would still probably have issues.

5. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. At least her children have tried to assist her.

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Bumpty bump

I just downloaded 5 seasons of this show. I am on season 3.
    These situations are the extreme of sad.
    Outta sight.

7. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

I forget which episode was in which season, have you gotten to the freeze dried cat corpse episode yet?

8. MyOtherLife

Yes! Unbelievable! 70-something cat corpses in the fridge and freezer and at the bottom where the vegetable crisper is, cat 'liquid'. I almost puked lookin at that episode. Just finished the episode with the Irish ex-military guy who thought everything in his home was a pot of gold and near everything was worthless...lol..poor guy.

9. MyOtherLife

10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

11. MyOtherLife

Season 3 Episode 19 ...one woman hoarding turkeys and chickens, and a man who hoards rabbits...even the guy looks like a rabbit himself. Where do they find these people?

1 person likes this.