1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

History of mens clothing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Dec 7, 2004.

1. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

Ok another post reminded me to post this but its something i was wondering about and considering as a possible topic for an honors project. I was wondering if their is any websites/books that talk about the history of mens clothing from say the 19th century on or even the 20th century on. Something that talks about how it changed/why? I've been looking for the history of the two button suit and who invented it an such that i remember reading a little bit about in another post awhile back and that kind of got me thinking about this topic. Just wondering if anyone knows

thanks
    Nik

2. j

j Well-Known Member

I have "An Illustrated History of Mens Fashion" or similar, with the history you reference included. You might look for that.

3. Sevcom

Sevcom Well-Known Member

For a cursory starting point, try the online excerpts of Flusser's Clothes and the Man here.

4. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

Just got done reading that and it gave some of what i wanted. Looking to check out those other books too.