1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

History of Fusing in jackets?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Apr 28, 2005.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Can anyone enlighten me to the history of fusing in jackets? When was the technique developed? When did it become so widespread? I think it would be fascinating to know more about it.

Thank you in advance.

2. chorse123

No one? I know it's a slightly esoteric question, but I figured someone here would have know at least part of the story.

3. Millerp

Millerp Well-Known Member

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

I too can only give a fraction of an answer.

In my time, I've acquired many scores of vintage suits (most from the 1960s and before). Not a one is fused, even those that would have been considered mid- or even lower-end RTW. My guess is that sometime in the 1970s (an age when many sartorial plagues were visited upon the world) fusing became part of the suit-making arsenal.

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Joseph Abboud in his recent autobiography Threads states that the technology was pioneered in Germany after World War II for the sinister reason that most of the good tailors had been Jewish and hence murdered by the cruel Nazis--a grisly case of necessity being the mother of invention.

6. 4Mica

4Mica Well-Known Member

What is the difference between a fusible and a non-fusible interfacing?

A fusible interfacing/interlining is applied using heat. A interfacing/interlining without the special heat fusing adhesive is referred to as "sew-in" or non-fusible interfacing. Sew-in interfacing is not as popular as fusible interfacing because it requires more time to apply to the garment. It does not provide the same quality level as a fusible product.

Funny.

7. chorse123

Wow. That's awful. Thanks for the interesting information, guys. I knew someone would come through. [​IMG]

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Right around the same time that selvage got taken out of jeans. So sad.. [​IMG]

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the line in Schindler's List where Goeth the Nazi camp commandant is admiring Schindler's silk suit. Â Schindler glibly says, "I'd say I'd get you one, but the man who made it is probably dead, I don't know." Witty, cutting, sick and sad all at the same time.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Finally. Some one quoted from SL. (As can be read in my trials and tribulations regarding quotes from SL: http://66.170.193.77/cgi-bin....t=10382 ) Jon.

11. quill

quill Well-Known Member

I think it's important to note that 4Mica was quoting from the link that was posted. I have to admit, at first reading, I thought 4Mica himself was advocating that fusibles are higher quality than non-fusibles...which I'm sure most forum members would have strong opinions about.

12. Millerp

Millerp Well-Known Member

I guess Wendell Textiles is a little biased [​IMG]

13. armscye

armscye Well-Known Member

I cannot address the origins of fused suits, but I do recall reading a rather lengthy study of the British vs Italian RTW suit industries, in which the author makes a strong case that Italian suits have become a world standard for two reasons: the presence of a smart, adaptable fabric industry in and around Biella, Italy, capable of producing attractive pre-fused technofabrics, and batch-cutting machinery (both blade and laser) that piece cuts suit panels in bulk at high speed.

14. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

It makes sense that the Nazi's were behind something as evil as fusing.