1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Hiring an Au Pair

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by topcatny, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Well-Known Member

I find this thread fascinating. I certainly like the idea of au pair but I would be reticent to have a young woman staying in my home. I dont need that kind of problem in my life. I am certain it can be done without...issues, but I would hesitate to put myself in that position.

2. topcatny

topcatny Well-Known Member

My kids are 8 and 5. We have asked innocent questions to the kids about getting a new babysitter and neither seem bothered by the idea. I think my oldest is looking forward to it and has an idea that something will happen. Either way, this was going to be the babysitters last year. Next year both are in school for the full day and our needs/hours change and we would be changing anyway. We are just pushing it up by 8 months or so. I am sure there will be times they miss her though.

Most aspects of my life involve me dealing with women and the drama they cause. My current Nanny has caused more than her fair share over the last couple of years. I'll keep you posted how things go.

3. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

8 and 5? they'll be fine.

4. topcatny

Update

The au pair has been her for 7 weeks and we couldn't be happier.

She has had an interesting experience so far. She was here 8 days and then hurricane Sandy hit and we had no power for 9 days. My mother in law then stayed with us for 10 days because her house was flooded and she is still not able to move back in. She took it all in stride and helped out tremendously.

The idea of having another person, particularly a teenager, living with us was our biggest concern. It has not been an issue at all so far. She eats with us and watches TV with us and we don't mind at all. But she is also developing her own social life. She has a friend from home that is also an au pair 5 miles from here and they have started going out and exploring the area and New York City during their time off.

I think we got exceptionally lucky with the person we chose. The kids love her and so far she seems anti-drama. Hopefully, that will continue

5. sns23

sns23 Well-Known Member

I would rather take care and raise my children myself.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  6. topcatny

Well, thanks for the insight, you've added a lot to this discussion. I can assure you that even though my wife and I both work we are raising our children and are very actively involved.

7. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

Often it's difficult to do both at the same time.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  8. tropics

tropics Well-Known Member

au pair pics or GTFO

9. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

^ +1

Also, I'm moving back to LI shortly. Maybe I should meet her? We went through at least 20 au pairs/babysitters growing up.

10. topcatny

Aww hell no ! :)

She came to a family wedding her second week here. She was seated at a table nearby with my 30+ yr old nephew and his girlfriend and a group of their friends. My youngest fell asleep in my arms so I ended up just sitting at my seat for most of the wedding. I watched the guy next to her hit on her most of the night. The protective father side of me was not happy..I got a glimpse of what my life will be like in 10 yrs. No way I am introducing her to any of you!

11. Bakes11771

I'm a good guy though. She is surely better off with me than the scoundrels that she is probably meeting in the city. I don't even drink. I come from a good family and have good direction. I probably went to the same schools that your kids attend.

We lost a few Au Pairs because they missed their boyfriends back home. You better keep this one distracted if you don't want that to happen. Once they receive flowers from their back-home boyfriend, you have about 2 weeks until they quit.

12. Bakes11771

What if she becomes involved with a guy from New Jersey? She'll be driving the family car there every weekend and wrecking it.

13. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

Better have your AP run off with a well dressed (if camp and neurotic) internet scoundrel than one dressed in Ed Hardy.

14. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Every single time I see this thread title, I think of all the wasted potential it has. This really should have been in DT.

15. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

A gracious "thank you," kind sir.