1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

High End Cologne

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NewYorkIslander, Jan 14, 2011.

1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

So, what makes the higher end colognes worth their money (think Creed, TF, etc)? I know that clothing can have aspects of it that can make it more valuable than others (hand made/fabric/etc) but what makes the scents that way. I admit, I don't have such a trained nose for that stuff, but is a $100 bottle of Green Irish Tweed much different than Coolwater by Davidoff? They smell similar to me. Also, Dunhill Red smells like TF Tuscan Leather, but again, the price difference is huge. Is it simply a name thing with customers willing to pay for a certain brand? I've been to Fragonard in paris a few times, so I have some idea as to how fragrance is made, and the difference between EdT and EdP and such...anyone?

2. Kuro

Kuro Well-Known Member

3. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Well-Known Member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    Concentration of essential ingredients

4. Khnelben

Khnelben Well-Known Member

my wife presented me with Red Vetiver by Montale . Wonderful scent . But is very similar to Hermes.

the price, among other things, is driven by use of natural (and sometimes) rare ingredients, more manual labour (?)

marketing also plays its part.

i think one should use what one likes and what suits one - its not only about the price.

but i tend to stay away from high street brands or their divisions (as Armani, for example, has Armani Privee)

one exception i make is for Fahrenheit by CD - but my dad used this so its a tradition [​IMG]

Andrey

5. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Well-Known Member

A bit of this...

Marketing.

... but more of this.

AFAIK, fragrances are some of the highest margin items for designers. As for myself, when I use cologne - which is very rarely - for the past 15 years it's been either Acqua di Parma or d'orange verte.

6. Omega Man

Omega Man Well-Known Member

Marketing and the brand play a big part.

How about natural vs. synthetics?
    Montale is famous for his "rose" scents. It literally requires a ton of roses in order to get a few quarts of essense/oils. If you were to use synthetics, you can bypass this process and mix chemicals/aromatics together. You should post this question on the Health section. We do have a few knowledgeable fragrance experts on the forum.

7. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Maybe they last longer? Just a thought, I really don't know...

8. Kuro

Kuro Well-Known Member

was being a little glib.. however an example: imho this smells very much like this . Both are from "exclusive" perfumers so why the price discrepancy?

9. ktrp

ktrp Well-Known Member

A big difference is that many of the high end ones have a certain image. The image is cultivated via money-losing runway designs of the house in question. Obviously, creating an entire fashion line that nobody buys in order to create the right image for the cologne is expensive, and this is embedded in the price of the cologne.

10. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Well-Known Member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    A big difference is that many of the high end ones have a certain image. The image is cultivated via money-losing runway designs of the house in question. Obviously, creating an entire fashion line that nobody buys in order to create the right image for the cologne is expensive, and this is embedded in the price of the cologne.

[​IMG]

11. Omega Man

Omega Man Well-Known Member

Maybe they last longer? Just a thought, I really don't know...

Not true. Creed (a few that I have tried) are notorioulsy fleeting. Although it depends on a wearer's skin chemistry, this is the view share by many people.

12. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Well-Known Member

does it, smell? better end

13. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Marketing.
    These, mostly marketing though. Funny you mention GIT and Cool Water: they were both composed by the same perfumer and have small variations between them. As I understand it, the house making the scent decides what they'll sell it for, then back out their markup and production/distribution costs, and then say: the formula will cost X and smell like (blah). From that point it's up to the perfumer to select what goes in. That said, even among the synthetics there is a wide range in quality and price: musks in particular come to mind. Natural musk is simply not used outside of Natural Perfumery, and everything else falls in between Body Shop musk and Chanel musk. Or, God help you, Le Labo Musc. From that, you might argue that Creed simply selected better ingredients than Davidoff to get a better raw product. You could be right, or you might not - depending on how much markup they want.

14. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

Read the novel "Perfume," and all will be revealed.

15. Beaune Head

Beaune Head Well-Known Member

16. Merlino

Merlino Well-Known Member

First off: don't think for a second that the cost of ingredients of most niche brand perfumes is substantially higher than the cost of designer brand perfumes' ingredients. We're talking $2.50 vs $2 per bottle, something like that. There are exceptions: Creed, while much maligned for its fleeting perfumes, uses more natural ingredients which also contributes to their perfumes being somewhat fleeting. In general, naturals are more fleeting than synthetics.

Second: don't think that naturals = expensive = good and synthetics = cheap = bad. There are cheap and expensive naturals and there are cheap and expensive synthetics. Synthetics are a necessary component of perfumes without which modern perfumery would literally have never existed and we'd all still be splashing scented citrus waters on ourselves 12 times a day.

As for the price of niche brand perfumes, I think it's a combination of pricing as a tool of raising perceived value AND of the necessity of asking higher prices because the makers have to make a profit while selling much less of the stuff.

If you're really really into the stuff, start looking into vintage Guerlain, Chanel, Caron, Dior etc. 1970's or earlier. They are more widely available than you would think, especially on the Bay.

17. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

18. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Well-Known Member

Everyone is right. I like to mix up the price range from Creed down to Hermes. I also have a bottle from a store in Red Bank, NJ that was developed by the owner and bears his name (with an "ino" on the end for a little more "sophistication" and that ran me two bills. They pump it into the store and then you gotta have it. Got a few compliments on it. (I won't mention the name unless you ask me because I don't think you're supposed to shill on the site.) So the point is you can run from $200 to $85, depending on what you like. I seem to never use a bottle up--still nursing my Helmut Lang Cuiron from about 5 years ago. THAT one is a killer! No longer available, though, damn it.

19. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

^^ Agree on Cuiron. Still nursing my old bottle as well. Although Mr. Blass does okay in a pinch for me.

Funny thing, though: more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better - sometimes a scent can be awkwardly-composed, or just not work with your chemistry no matter how much you spent.

iirc, Mona di Oiro's scents are notorious for smelling awful on paper, but faring much better on skin.

As for Creed in particular, I'm not really a fan of their marketing but they have put out a few good scents, but I can think of a dozen houses I'd put before them in terms of quality product/composition.

20. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

interesting.

I REALLY like TF Azure Lime, but I've yet to know of a cheaper alternative or something which smells close enough.

Personally, if I like it enough I'll buy it. No other real factor involved.