1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

high calorie balanced diet on a budget?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by iroh, Jan 19, 2012.

1. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

This was a staple for me when I was in grad school. A pot of beans would last for many days and in the meantime, I'd get the protein I needed for the miles and miles of running and cycling that I did back then. It was cheap, and very good, too.

2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Not the highest calorie, but easy as hell and pretty cheap and super delicious

Cut Potatoes into 1 inch cubes

Smother in Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper, rosemary.

Stick in the oven at 425 for 45ish minutes.

Eat.

3. iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

what is the price of olive oil relative to vegatable oil? veggie is cheaper right?

what are the reasons why i should choose olive oil over veggie oil?

4. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

if you buy olive oil for cooking dont get extra virgin. no real reason to buy olive oil over veggie unless you buy into polyphenol hype

stop asking us prices. prices differ depending on where you are. calling your local market will give you a better idea.

5. iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

where would i buy fatback? or "cheap pork meat"? i dropped by the supermarket today (no frills, & foodbasics) all i saw was margarine and butter, and ground pork and other more pricey meats. :confused:

6. theecaptain

theecaptain Well-Known Member

if by brick you mean soup. gomad was great for gaining weight but i've never pooped so often in my life. also very cost effective ~$3 for 2400 cal w 128g protein.

7. g12528

g12528 Active Member

get into drinking macedamia nut oil or coconut oil or even coconut milk. easy way to up the calories

8. Superfluous Man

Superfluous Man Well-Known Member

Hamburger Helper is like $1/box. I've seen ground beef go for like $8 for a 5 pound tube. Combined with whole milk, that'll keep the calories coming.

9. Mistabruno

Mistabruno New Member

Get butter, not margarine (unless you want a heart attack soon).
    Olive oil for salads only, don't heat it (it becomes carcinogenic if heated).
    Coconut oil is very healthy, but you have to like the coconut taste. Almond/macadamia/walnut oil is also great.

The problem with veggie oils is that they contain a high amount of omega 6, which, when not balanced with omega 3, can be unhealthy. But, anything in moderation...

I make muffins with almond flour, eggs, honey and butter - about 600 kcal per muffin, chug down a couple of those per day for some extra calories.

For breakfast, I make scrambled eggs with bacon and veggies, and fry it all in butter or coconut oil. Top it off with an avocado and salad with olive oil, and you have a high calorie, healthy breakfast.

Hope that helps!

10. iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

still looking for an answer to the above.

btw, has anyone tried drinking some olive oil daily? and how much?

edit i just drank 1/4 cup of olive oil, my god that is most nastiest drink i have ever drank. :smarmy:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  11. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Pork shoulders cheap, don't know if your super markets sells it. Like $1.10 a pound. I would not drink it, just put it on food, goes with pretty much anything.

12. stinger70

stinger70 Well-Known Member

Um, what. Olive oil has one of the highest smoke points and is fine for pan frying.

13. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Brb going to the hospital for some chemo because I just cooked a chicken breast in olive oil.

1 person likes this.
  14. iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

you know that powdered cheese that comes with kraft dinner, is there any way to buy powdered cheese separately? if not, then what would be the lowest priced cheese to buy? i am kinda liking my pasta with lots of cheese now

15. Newo

Newo Well-Known Member

Yeah, Olive oil is perfectly safe to heat. It's olive oil's of a certain acidity that are "questionable", and this only comes into play when you heat it repeatedly, i.e. in a deep fryer. That (as well as the flavour) is why you never deep fry with olive oil, but usually saute.

16. Newo

Newo Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you're Canadian go to a Bulk Barn, if not, I'm sure you have similar stores where they sell candies/baking ingredients and like munchable type staples. They should have dehydrated cheese, I'd just do my best to try to make sure you are actually buying cheese, and not some god forsaken Frankenstein type stuff.

17. iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

ok just got back from the super, so they do have something called lard, which i understand is pig fat, it was all wrapped up in a rect cube like butter, now if i use this to cook w beans it will be ok substitue for fatback?

i see the lard is also a solid fat, will eating large amounts bring me towards a heart attack?

as for the cheese, is dehydrated cheese cheaper than buying cheese outright? i assume it isnt. i didnt get a chanc to drop by bulk barn, but i recall them being expenisve. plusi would prefer regular cheese over dehydrated cheese. recently started eatingsolid cheese as a snack, pricey from the $/calorie perspectivebut it tastes so good.

18. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Well-Known Member

This is simply silly. 1 gram of fat contains more calories than 1 gram of the other 2 macros. If you don't limit fat intake, you can end up with a very skewed number.

19. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

:facepalm:

I mentioned total calories, and the OP is trying to consume a lot of them. A low fat diet would be pointless and counter to his goals.

20. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Well-Known Member

yes, but at the same time, we dn't want him to go off the deep end in terms of fat intake. I'd rather have him kick up both fat and carbs a git, rather can increase only fat. He may misconstrue things and assume ALL fat is okay. But, yes you're right =] Moderate fat is good