1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Help with graduation attire. Gingham too informal?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CDNstyle740, May 27, 2012.

Is gingham too informal for a graduation brunch?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    88.9%
  1. CDNstyle740

CDNstyle740 Well-Known Member

Listen you came at me saying I needed 'remedy' with all me having said was that I need some suggestions for appropriate dress for the event. You call me unprepared when I am currently in the process of resolving this by asking some men who have experience attending events of similar formality if you will. How else is it that I would be prepared for such an event, I am asking for suggestions 2 weeks in advance of the event so I am not worrying about this the night before. You call me rude when I excused my manners to quote what others had agreed upon, and you claim paranoia is setting in when a man whom I have not met in my life, claims I am in need of 'remedy' when I have not stated anything previous that would warrant such remark on your behalf.

2. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Well-Known Member

Haven't you?

3. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

I think your original outfit will be fine and completely appropriate for the occasion. There is no need to add a jacket to what you suggested.

And Mr. Treehorn is being an ass.

1 person likes this.
  4. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Good Lord, man, why are you taking Treehorn even remotely seriously when it's obvious he's kidding around? Your gingham shirt and tie will be fine. On Thursday I attended a graduation at a large (admittedly second-string) state university here. You would be better turned out than the vast majority of the grads I saw .

5. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Well-Known Member

Am I, though? Or am I imparting valuable wisdom upon this young man?

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  6. CDNstyle740

We seem to have gotten off the original question I asked of you, for which I apologize. It seems as if my emotions got the better of me which lead to my "rude" behaviour. May we please return to my original question to you, which was

Is a purple checkered/gingham dress shirt too informal to wear to a graduation mass and brunch?

You responded with the following.

"Way too informal. Please reconsider your graduation, especially in light of how upscale the banquet hall will be. Are you sure you deserve this?"

Might you provide an example of which this type of comment would be warranted based on what I had originally stated?

7. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Well-Known Member

100% you're being trolled. Just ignore him. He's trying to say, "You should look at your graduation banquet as a great honor, so you should dress really well in light of that, and you shouldn't be told what to do, I'm not trolling you I'm just being nice to you, I won't tell you what to do, you should dress however YOU think is appropriate, I'm not telling you what to do but...."

If you think too hard about your outfit, you're doing it wrong. The outfit looks good.

1 person likes this.
  8. musicguy

musicguy Well-Known Member

9. CDNstyle740

???

10. Plestor

Plestor Well-Known Member

11. Bradford

And you determined this based on what? The fact that this young man took time to ask whether a gingham shirt was appropriate attire?

You're a dick. Yes, you're trolling, but you are still being a dick.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Jackie just got the rest of the month off for being too much of an ass. Remember, people, too much of a good thing is still too much.

Cheers,

Fok.

1 person likes this.
  13. sportin_life

sportin_life Well-Known Member

I think it'll look fine with a solid charcoal or navy suit (when not wearing gown). I think I wore a t-shirt under my gown in HS... :D

14. CDNstyle740

Once again I believe you are evading the question at hand.

Please provide an explanation using the original post I made which was,

"Is a purple checkered/gingham dress shirt too informal to wear to a graduation mass and brunch?"

You responded with the following.
    "Way too informal. Please reconsider your graduation, especially in light of how upscale the banquet hall will be. Are you sure you deserve this?"

Might you provide an example of which this type of comment would be warranted based on what I had originally stated?

15. Bradford

He can't respond, his account has been suspended for being a jerk.

- Your friendly neighborhood Spiderman.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  16. index1489

index1489 Well-Known Member

This thread blew my mind, simple question 6 pages, I would rock that shirt/tie combo.

17. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

sorry to hear that. jt was quite entertaining, while op is a dick in my book.

18. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Seriously?

Geez. As trolls go he was pretty mild.

19. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Agreed, but he was persistent. It's the short part of a week. And the kid seems okay. Sometimes, you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

1 person likes this.
  20. CDNstyle740

I would say I am quite the opposite of a "dick", he came at me with a statement that was completely uncalled for, and repeatedly failed to provide legitimate explanation/proof.