1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

help! wet wool suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by joelmthw, Nov 3, 2011.

1. joelmthw

joelmthw Well-Known Member

so i got caught in a random downpour in the parking lot in my 100% wool suit and ended up drenched. i need to wear this suit tomorrow morning. how do i go about drying this to avoid shrinking and wearable for tomorrow? i am afraid i will not have time to go to the dry cleaner and get it cleaned. what do i do sf??

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

hairdryer? place near heater?

3. joelmthw

someone told me heat will make it shrink/deform? truth? myth?

4. AdrianS1

AdrianS1 Member

Take it to the dry cleaners. They can probably do it by tomorrow if you ask.

5. joelmthw

negatory. i need to wear this around 6am tmrrw morning. i am planning to let this air dry overnight and hope its dry by the morning. maybe i will turn the shower on and let it get steam dried in the bathroom.

6. contactme_11

contactme_11 Well-Known Member

If I were you I would throw it in the dryer on the lowest heat setting for 10- 15 minutes and hang it back up for the rest of the night. It shouldn't be enough heat to shrink it but probably enough to take a little moisture out.

7. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

You could try laying it on a towel, rolling them up together and then squeezing gently to draw as much moisture from the suit as possible. You might try this with the towel on the inside and the outside of the suit.

Steaming it would just add more moisture imo. Heat would probably shrink it. Maybe tumble with no heat? If you don't have access to a dryer, hang it on a wide hanger that allows air to circulate and the shoulders to not get bumps. Make sure the shoulder pads and other things dry flat or in the shape you want them too.

Once it dries, or is almost dry, you'll probably have to press it. Make sure you put a cloth (t-shirt, pillowcase) between the iron and the wool, or the wool will take on a sheen.

Good luck.

8. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

Putting a wet garment in a room filled with steam (moisture) is just going to keep it wet.

9. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Sucks to only have one suit hey? Lessons to be learnt here.

1. Have more than one suit.
    2. If you actually do have more than one suit, if you rotate your suits and never wear the same suit two days in a row, this problem could have been avoided.

10. Mustelid

Mustelid Member

What if he's travelling and only brought one suit with him? That happens sometimes.

11. joelmthw

thanks for all the advice guys. will tumble dry with no heat and press it in the morning.

broke college kid who owns one suit for interviews. give me a break

12. TieMyShoe

TieMyShoe Well-Known Member

What happens if you iron it?

13. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

I would not recommend the dryer, though you've probably already proceeded. Let us know how it works out. In future (starting tomorrow) always carry an umbrella at all times. A compact model will easily fit into a briefcase.

14. koolhistorian

koolhistorian Well-Known Member

Let it air dry, water is not the enemy of wool! Just put the coat on a hanger and the trouser on a clip hanger (so they dry heads-down, gravity will do a lot of the work). The biggest problem will be the "internals" of the suit - if it is fused, it can be a problem, a floating canvass will keep it better. The best it will be to bring it to a tailor to press it - or get a sponge and press. Any trained tailor can do that - i saw a full tails jacket being pressed by my tailor for a known romanian conductor that was drenched by rain, then stuffed into a luggage for at least 24hrs (it was during a tour abroad). If it is not totally wrinkled, search for Jeffreyd's thread on how to touch up a suit!

15. joelmthw

just an update for whoever cares

i let it airdry as much as possible, came out slightly damp and somewhat wrinkled. tossed it in the dryer with air dry and no tumble for about 10 min to get rid of any leftover water. proceeded to spot iron with a pillowcase wherever wrinkles had formed. looked fine when i used it that morning. now its at the dry cleaners. thanks for all the help/advice

16. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  17. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

I was wondering. Glad it worked out.