• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help on my beach menu?

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wilson brother
Spencer, I want this to be a classic American beach party but it will be inside with the air condition unit on high..so I won't worry about the heat.

Are mojitos and kebobs typical American? I want it to feel like the movie "Back to the Beach" even if its in my apartment.

I think technically mojitos are from Cuba, but they're popular enough in America I don't think you'd have any authenticity problems, especially in California. You could also consider mint juleps, if you want to throwback to 19th century Americana.

I think kebobs can be American if you don't go overboard. Chicken, onion, bell pepper, mushroom, etc would be fine; I think you'd have a less American taste if you're seasoning it with SE Asian spices and the like.

Reaction score
I forgot to ask what this is
confused.gif

Weiner:
weiner20doghu1.jpg
I would add California Rolls to the menu.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
I think technically mojitos are from Cuba, but they're popular enough in America I don't think you'd have any authenticity problems, especially in California. You could also consider mint juleps, if you want to throwback to 19th century Americana.

I think kebobs can be American if you don't go overboard. Chicken, onion, bell pepper, mushroom, etc would be fine; I think you'd have a less American taste if you're seasoning it with SE Asian spices and the like.

I agree about the kabobs. If you're trying for present-day California authenticity, mojitos are fine. They've been quite the "hip" drink here the last few years. If you're going for a more "historical" Beach Boys-ish vibe, I'm not sure they'd be appropriate (but imho a tasty drink is never inappropriate). And as much as I enjoy a good mint julep, it may be throwback americana, but it's not particularly Californian (but see preceding caveat
smile.gif
). Also, if you're trying for a beach party feel, I'd say the more complicated the mixed drink the farther you're moving from your theme. Assuming you're talking about a private beach party and thus ignore the fact that alcoholic beverages are prohibited on most CA beaches, I'd say a cooler full of beer or even (shudder) wine coolers would be more appropriate. But then again, see . . .

saajuk-khar

Reaction score
Thank you for the good help here. Saajuk is write this will not be near the beach
frown.gif
but we can be dreaming with Endless Summer on the DVD.

Bouji..I want this to be like a California beach party not beach of Normandy !
teacha.gif
Sorry I hope you understand.

do the members here think pudding would be an appropiate dessert?

sorry dude, i took it you were giving the party on the beach or near it, hence my advice to avoid alcohol.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I agree about the kabobs. If you're trying for present-day California authenticity, mojitos are fine. They've been quite the "hip" drink here the last few years. If you're going for a more "historical" Beach Boys-ish vibe, I'm not sure they'd be appropriate (but imho a tasty drink is never inappropriate). And as much as I enjoy a good mint julep, it may be throwback americana, but it's not particularly Californian (but see preceding caveat
smile.gif
). Also, if you're trying for a beach party feel, I'd say the more complicated the mixed drink the farther you're moving from your theme. Assuming you're talking about a private beach party and thus ignore the fact that alcoholic beverages are prohibited on most CA beaches, I'd say a cooler full of beer or even (shudder) wine coolers would be more appropriate. But then again, see . . .

Man, back then they were drinking Coca Cola, before they took all the good stuff out of it. And if they were looking for a buzz, they would just add asprin.

Gary

wilson brother

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
Assuming it's warm out (not a stretch given recent weather) pudding would work - especially a good cold rice pudding.

Drink wise, what about mojitos? If you're grilling, kebobs are always fun and tasty.

I forgot to ask..

a friend sent me a box of "Jello Chocolate Pudding" that i'll make..but should I tell them its pudding or jello at the party. I thought jello and pudding are different desserts.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Pudding.
BTW, trolls loooove pudding.

wilson brother

Reaction score
Pudding.
BTW, trolls loooove pudding.

Thats too bad because i won't have any trolls there..maybe if i know a lawyer will come i'll make blood pudding
laugh.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
laugh.gif

LOL!

BTW, for a good party, cut the A/C. You want it about 70+ degrees in there so people remove clothes...
teacha.gif

Ideally people would wear their beachwear, well, at least the women would.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Weiner:
weiner20doghu1.jpg

Aww. he looks so delicious! Edit: It's funnier because I'm Korean.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
Aww. he looks so delicious!

Edit: It's funnier because I'm Korean.

You have to buy me a new keyboard

wilson brother

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
LOL!

BTW, for a good party, cut the A/C. You want it about 70+ degrees in there so people remove clothes...
teacha.gif

Ideally people would wear their beachwear, well, at least the women would.

Thats a good idea..but many women here are too shy to wear bikinis..I will suggest that on the invitation I hope I don't get beat.

I also have one of those cd with the sounds of the ocean and whale sounds that I will play on one stereo..the other stereo Good Vibrations.

Kid609

Reaction score
Truffles, fois gras, and shark fin soup are all popular in California right now.

For drinks we like to break open the Dom and Cristal.

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
Anything grilled!

Some good pieces of beef always taste great. BBQ salmon is tasty - grill with the skin on. Anything BBQ could work too, especially baby back ribs.

Or if you wan yuppier Californian food: grilled chicken sandwiches and kebobs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads