• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help my family understand

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I literally can't hear the end of it from my family about my champagne tastes and how I'm "paying for the name and not the quality" when they have no Idea what they're talking about.

So when you respond, do you know what you're talking about?

If you have no idea why 3sixteen jeans are better, why are you buying them over the other ones?

dickenshero

Reaction score
So when you respond, do you know what you're talking about?
If you have no idea why 3sixteen jeans are better, why are you buying them over the other ones?

The denim for 3sixteen is much better, just absolutely worlds better. Like I said with the whole silver and gold reference. The thing is my family doesn't buy that and I just don't know how to explain it better.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best thing you can do is to not even try to explain it to your family.

onbooze

Reaction score
I've had to justify expensive (-esque, by SF standards) purchases a bunch recently as well. I'm a college student, don't have a lot of cash rolling around, but am employed. My parents and friends both shrieked when I bought $140 denim.

But hey, it was my money, and I really wanted those pants.

Especially for premium denim, there were a few things I said that seemed to help. I mentioned how well it wears, how the pants are meant to last for a long time and get more comfortable and interesting with age. They are an investment—not a pair of $35 levi's from Sears that you throw out once the crotch blows out. I anticipate them getting older with age.
My first denim purchase were Blackbird Hazelwoods (might get some gripe for that but my second pair was RRL and I still love my hazelwoods to death—I'm wearing them now!). I almost always try to mention that they're made in the U.S.A. with Cone Mills denim and what this means—high quality, and supporting business I believe in. It's not just about the use I get from the jeans—it's about what kind of economy I'm supporting in buying them. I buy from brands I like who use quality manufacturers.

That's the main thing—longevity, quality through-and-through. I'm willing to spend money on those things. I'd rather have 3 pairs of denim for my entire life than go through a cheap-o pair every 2 years because they start falling apart at the seams.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's an easy solution, don't tell people how much you spend on clothing.

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tell them to mind their own ******* business

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kill your parents.

tumblr_m9ub370gLG1qmagjfo2_500.jpg

ac_slater

Reaction score
It's called don't give a ****.

When people ask me how much I paid for my jeans and I tell them $300, they usually react just like you would expect.

Guess what? I don't care. When they ask why on earth I would spend that on jeans, I say: "because they're worth it and I love them." End of conversation.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

mcbrown

Reaction score
First of all, forget trying to get people to understand why you spend so much on jeans. Everyone here has a disease that is absent in 95% or more of the population. Most people think spending a lot on clothes is stupid, even if they understand and appreciate differences in design or quality. My wife has no problem with my spending on shoes, and she gets that high quality men's shoes will last for years and (probably) never go massively out of style, but she still pokes fun at me for wearing fancy shoes. And why not? It's a lifestyle decision, not an objectively rational consumption choice. Once you've accepted that people won't understand your choices even if they accept them, you have a decision to make. You can choose to deflect the issue when it comes up, or you can choose to engage. Personally, I choose to deflect. When friends or family ask me why I have so many shoes, I say it's because I like shoes. If they ask how much they cost, I (politely) refuse to tell them because it's none of their damn business. The only person who has the right to question my spending decisions is my wife. And if you're not married then it's no one's business at all. If you choose to engage, then the wine analogy is a good one - cheap wine will get you just as drunk, and a lot of cheap wine isn't objectively bad, but some people just appreciate wines that happen to cost a lot. Cars are an even better analogy because just about everyone buys a car at some point in life - a Camry will get you from point A to point B just as quickly (in the real world with speed limits) as a Porsche/Mercedes/whatever, but some people just like the feeling of driving of a sporty/luxurious/whatever car. There's no "proving" that one is better than the other or that the higher price is justified; different strokes for different folks, horses for courses, an ass for every seat, etc. Arguing about fabric weights or hardware quality is not the way to go. It's like justifying a Porsche by comparing the power to weight ratio to a Fit. It's "better", but that doesn't make the Porsche a better value, and it's hardly the point anyway.

dickenshero

Reaction score
I've just decided to go with the **** you guys it's none of your business route (directed at my family of course, not at you guys... except the ones asking me if I had a job after the question was answered like 40 times). Thanks sf
thumbs-up.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads