1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Help Me Pick Out a <6k Dress Watch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by J. Cogburn, Nov 26, 2011.

1. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Well-Known Member

This would be easy for me if money were no object; Patek Phillipe. But alas, it is, and I could use some advice. Short of the ideal, these are my criteria:

1. <$6k.
    2. Few complications beyond a second-hand and perhaps date.
    3. Roman numerals on the face (partially or fully).
    4. Round face.
    5. Pink gold case.
    6. Black crocodile strap.

OK, that's pretty specific, so if I have to vary a little to get close to this package, I'm game.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  2. ohdannyboy

ohdannyboy Well-Known Member

sorry, do you mean more than $6k, or less than? You've posted >$6k, which would mean greater than, but your tone implies less

3. J. Cogburn

Fixed. You're right. Other edits also tendered to sharpen the criteria.

4. ohdannyboy

ohdannyboy Well-Known Member

admittedly i haven't found the perfect one in a few minutes of googling (mostly looking at ebay) i think you would do tremendously well with a vintage omega deville or speedmaster; they look wonderful on croc straps, and their pink gold was exquisite. hope this helps a bit.

5. handsolo

handsolo Active Member

Seems like your criteria are rather narrow. Roman numerals? Really? Pink gold --this stuff has been a big fad for the last five years. I know that there are some classic pink gold pieces but most of it lately seems like gimmickry. I'm not sure you can get all of this in one production piece. I believe there's probably a Rolex that meets most of your criteria but the price would probably go north of 6k. Maybe something by IWC. Keep in mind that you can buy a lot of watch for half of the budget you describe. It probably wouldn't be pink gold, however.

6. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

Checked prices at prestige time.com. The cheapest gold JLC is now over 10k ? I gifted someone a VC Patrimony Traditionelle some time back and it was around 15k. Now it's over 20k.

Anyways, the watch I thought I would suggest were the basic Breguet manual wind or the JLC ultra thin. Both are now north of 10k

7. J. Cogburn

Not wild about the Omega's for the office. Nice watches though.

Yeah, it's a wish list, but I'm willing to be flexible. I'll trade yellow gold for the pink gold. I'll punt on the crocodile band as long as I switch out the band I'm stuck with. And I'm sure not wed to $6k. If I can get that watch for less, then it's all good.

Now, God-help-me for offering this thought given how I gather Baume & Mercier are felt about around here, but I quite like this watch from an aesthetic point of view

8. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

9. J. Cogburn

Yeah, I'm pretty sure "gold-plated" is the only way I can swing this.

10. J. Cogburn

11. J. Cogburn

Of course, if I want to go quartz, I can always save a lot of money and go with Ole Mathiesen. Note the watch with the black croc band and roman numerals.

12. lostron

lostron Well-Known Member

I would go for an Omega as well, great quality and brand. Go for a Seamaster or de Ville

13. Matto ELITE

Matto ELITE Well-Known Member

Yes. I wear an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45.5 daily (it also fulfills my Bond obsession),and I would love to purchase a Speedmaster Professional or De Ville as a dress watch.

I currently have a vintage 67' De Ville that I love, I need to get a new strap for it however.

14. Style Noob

Style Noob Member

You can buy a croc strap anywhere, for any watch. I wouldn't factor that in to a search. I also think you are looking for Rose Gold. May have better luck looking for that search term. Keep in mind those are almost always plated and will damage over time. I suggest either a solid SS, or a very strong plating that will last.

Check out a watch forum (watchuseek). Will give you a lot more suggestions and it will be from "watch people". They work great with a search like you are doing by listing the features you want or don't want.

15. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

16. Fantom555

Fantom555 Member

17. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

18. Karl_in_Chicago

Karl_in_Chicago Well-Known Member

This is great advice. Watchuseek is full of watch geeks that can give you informed feedback and if one of your considerations is the strap then, as Style Noob notes, that is very easy to swap onto the watch - it shouldn't be the driving choice as to which watch. Also - strongly consider buying used. Lots of watch geeks (I say that with no prejudice as I am one myself) buy and sell watches yet put little to no wear on them and take very good care of them while they own them. Let someone else take the depreciation hit that comes with buying a new watch and pick up an excellent value for yourself. You also don't mention if you require an Automatic - opting for a non-Auto will greatly trim the price as well (and only another watch geek will ever know). The Prestige models of Omega's DeVille line have Roman Numerals and might serve as a good starting point in evaluating look & tech against other competing brands/models.

19. J. Cogburn

True enough.regarding the band. And I'm having second thoughts about the gold. I like silver or SS better (I've got salt & pepper hair and have always gravitated to silver rather than gold because I think it looks better on me), but had the impression that gold was dressier on a watch. Upon reflection, I'm not sure that's true. Is it?

20. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

If you're not averse to vintage I would look into a vintage VC like this

Gold is not necessarily more dressy than silver/platinum/wg. A classic dress watch has no numbers, no seconds, very minimal writing on the dial, no lume, and a leather band.