1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Help me out guys.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sushijerk, Aug 19, 2006.

1. sushijerk

sushijerk Well-Known Member

Hey guys, recent lurker and first time poster here.

I was rummaging through a 2nd hand shop recently and found a Pierre Cardin velvet blazer that had a beautiful classic look. The jacket is labeled as from the 1950s and the price is $220. I've no liking for current Pierre Cardin but from what I understand the label used to be very respectable decades ago before it licensed out everything.

I'm not too sure on canvus/fused or any technical tayloring aspects of the piece, but it has none of the bunching/stiff shoulder/lapel moving problems that I've had with all my other off the rack jackets. It has a comfortable slim fit and I can move around easily.

The problem is that I'm always reading posts here about you guys picking up awesome pieces for $5-$20, which makes the $220 price tag seem rather steep for 2nd hand. Plus the place I found the blazer (Cheap Jack's on 5th) is rather notorious for marking up items for the hipster doofuses who will buy it anyway.

I'm not sure if I've found a good deal or if there are tons of pieces like this sitting in other thrift/consignment shops for much cheaper. I've been to a couple in the village/chelsea and frankly they all seem very picked over. Should I be checking out places on the UWS/UES or waiting until jan/feburary which is when I presume they will get a lot more stock?

2. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

I've purchased a fair amount of vintage clothing in my time, so let me be blunt: this is not a particularly good deal. You're right in thinking that Cheap Jack's is "jacking" up the price.

3. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with thrift shop bargains . . . my size is small, so I find bargains at out of the way places, too. But if you're concerned about this purchase, just forget about it. Wait until something you love at a legit department store or boutique, goes on sale. Buy that, instead. I've gotten tremendous buys . . . simply by waiting and watching.