1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Help me find a "new" mid-life crisis car.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Mark from Plano, Dec 1, 2009.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Easy solution: buy two. One for your commute, one for fun. [​IMG]

2. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

Get a 3 year old pre-owned car with low miles and an extended warranty that is fun. Boxster? Of course you would have your choice of blonde, brunette or redhead.

[​IMG]

Is she standard with this model or a VERY VERY expensive option?

Easy solution: buy two. One for your commute, one for fun.

[​IMG]

You [​IMG], but I've actually considered this.

3. Dburr

Dburr Well-Known Member

With your budget, you can have a choice of dozens of great cars. I have strong German leanings but other european cars interest me as well. (one of my cars is a Jaguar S-Type. I love it, it's been trouble free, I've had it for well over a year and its great for commuting. It has the most luxurious interior imaginable.) I simply don't understand Corvettes, I'd rather drive any Porsche up and down the line - with the exception of the Cayenne. I don't know if anyone has suggested a Merc 500 SL. I've had 2 of them and they're great cars. MFP, you have a great problem and the DFW area has hundreds of great solutions in your budget range. Good luck.

4. crazyquik

crazyquik Well-Known Member

Lotus Elise; unquestionably.

5. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Great car but maybe a bit rough for daily driver, no?

6. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

Also, finding one used might be an issue and a new one is above my price range. I would become my 14 year old's hero though.

7. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

and a bit plasticy. Non-daily driver only.

when I get home, I'll load a picture of a Lotus Elise that rear-ended an SUV just outside of my apartment. Thing just fell apart, no damage to the SUV. When the SUV pull forward to dislodge the Lotus, it sounded like a Semi running over a Fisher-Price set.

8. Dburr

Dburr Well-Known Member

Lesson here - don't rear end SUV's if you drive an Elise. If the rear-ender had been driving a dump truck the results would have been reversed. So are we to adapt a bigger is better philo?

9. gomestar

bigger is better? No. Aluminum is better than plastic? Yes. The car was totaled in the low speed bump.

But I'd still love one.

10. Mr.Pinchy

Mr.Pinchy Well-Known Member

C6 Vette

If you were truly going through a mid life crisis, you'd buy one of these. Go for something cool but non-practical because you've always wanted one when you were younger.

11. Dmax

Dmax Well-Known Member

3 series are for kids - I can't take seriously anyone over 30 driving one. SLK is a woman's car.
    [​IMG] I guess that leaves the 1-series for absolutes spouting teenagers like you.
    Excellent question. In my saner moments I think I should keep what I have because I put so many miles on a car. For at least the next 3 years or so I'll likely have a massive commute that will eat up a car. This really argues against something at the higher end of my price range since it's going to be a 100K car by the time I get rid of it in 3 years. I've actually considered going with a 3 year lease with extended mileage (22K/year or so) for this reason, because I'd probably be looking at changing again in 3 years. I should probably just keep what I have a while longer...but I want one...[​IMG]
    Just wanted to let you know that most German manufacturers don't want to lease a new car to you for more than 36 or 39 months and they certainly don't want you to drive more than 15k miles per year. If you look at the manufacturer set residual values and money factors, aka lease interest rates, the lease gets extremely expensive after 36 months/15k miles year. You may be able to pre-purchase extra miles on a lease in advance but I don't think they will be cheap. It may be less expensive to take advantage of 0.9-2.9% financing and buy the car outright. Leasing a used car is usually a very bad deal with payments similar to what you would pay for a comparable brand new model.

12. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

bigger is better? No. Aluminum is better than plastic? Yes. The car was totaled in the low speed bump.

The skin of a car isn't important in a crash for protecting the passengers. The Elise has an aluminum chassis underneath its plastic exterior that handles the crash energy.

--Andre

13. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

If you were truly going through a mid life crisis, you'd buy one of these. Go for something cool but non-practical because you've always wanted one when you were younger.

Funny enough they are actually decent in terms of practicality.. Comfy, good highway mileage, etc.

14. emmanuel

emmanuel Well-Known Member

15. Night Owl

Night Owl Well-Known Member

i cant believe you are talking about a 3 series for a MID LIFE CRISIS car, its about as wild as drinking milk one day past the expiration date

slk is still for hairdressers no

16. epb

epb Well-Known Member

There used to be a saying - "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM." In the sports car world, that same phrase works for Porsche 911s. Your proposed budget would be fine for a 996 cab, ideally a 2002+ with the facelifted front-end. I'd also suggest a Mercedes-Benz SL500, if you're more interested in cruising with style than a hardcore driving experience involving track days. Both of these have better images than the Boxster and SLK, though both are fine cars.

You could possibly forgo the sports car altogether and get a Rolls-Royce or Bentley. There are people that say the best revenge is living well. Most people find that expression hard to believe, but most people have never seen the expression on the face of an ex-girlfriend upon seeing you emerge from a Rolls-Royce. [​IMG] Though with an ex-wife, I imagine it might spark legal proceedings inquiring into your finances...

17. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

308 GTB (or S). 'Nuff said.

[​IMG]

18. Dburr

Dburr Well-Known Member

308 GTB (or S). 'Nuff said.

[​IMG]

has to be one of the ugliets cars ever

19. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

BMW 5-series
    Audi A5
    MB CLK or wait a year and get a used E coupe
    Porsche Cayman

20. gomestar

The skin of a car isn't important in a crash for protecting the passengers. The Elise has an aluminum chassis underneath its plastic exterior that handles the crash energy.

--Andre

I'm not talking about saftey, but rather the general destruction of a car at low speeds.

But I'd still love one [​IMG]