1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

help me darken my red wings

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Trapp, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Trapp

Trapp Well-Known Member

I love these vintage red wings, but I wouldn't mind if they were a little darker brown. Thoughts on how to try this? Stripping or anything extreme is out of the question. I read somewhere that sno seal darkens red wing boots, but before I do anything, I want to know what others think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MiniW

MiniW Well-Known Member

use Pecard's Leather Dressing (only available through mail order). It darkened my Indy's with Great Success.

3. MonkeyFresh

MonkeyFresh Well-Known Member

Mink oil will be sure to darken those, but be careful not to use too much
    Just about any kind of leather conditioner will, I prefer Obenauf's LP, but Snoseal is great and Mink Oil will bring out the red in the leather so maybe try one of those out

4. Trapp

Trapp Well-Known Member

After treating with one of the above options, polish can still be applied, right?

5. erbs

erbs Well-Known Member

Obenauf's boot oil darkens leather more than Obenauf's LP. I don't have any experience with Pecard's, so I don't know how it stack up to the Obenauf's products.

6. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Check with a good shoe repair shop.

7. Trapp

Trapp Well-Known Member

I go to an amazing cobbler, but he's a real purist about leather color. His response is that the color is what it is, nothing to be done.

Some people here have reported good luck in darkening their shoes, so that's why I posted.

8. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Hmm. I'd be inclined to trust your cobbler then and just leave well enough alone. I would be hesitant to do something that might mess up a pair of shoes unless I wasn't bothered by the prospect of replacing them or whatever.

9. London

London Well-Known Member

2nd the picard's

10. Racove

Racove Well-Known Member

they look great as-is

11. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

Hmm. I'd be inclined to trust your cobbler then and just leave well enough alone. I would be hesitant to do something that might mess up a pair of shoes unless I wasn't bothered by the prospect of replacing them or whatever.

+1 on this. or if you do go the darkening route, try it on the tongue first to see how it'll turn out.

-Jeff

12. Trapp

Trapp Well-Known Member

I should clarify that my cobbler hasn't seen these particular boots. His 'no color change' is a standing principle that has emerged through my years of going to him. He did not back off on these specific boots, he just doesn't go in for darkening, period.

Of course, i don't want to mess them up. The advice of trying mink oil or pecards, etc., seems safe in that they are boot products. And if need be I can live with the color (i like them too). They're just a tad orange, which looks good in isolated pics but, in my opinion, looks a little bright against dark jeans, which is how i generally wear them.

13. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

They'll darken up a bit on their own through wear, too. I wouldn't be overly concerned about this.

14. Window

Window Well-Known Member

Put some sort of oil/conditioner on them, put them in the sun inside a black garbage bag. I like the way those look, though. Nice boots.

15. otc

otc Well-Known Member

sno seal tends to darken leather. You can polish them after applying sno seal but the first polish will be a bit funny/take more work.

I put my boots in the over on the warmest setting (if you have an oven thermometer, make sure it isnt too hot) for a few minutes and then rubbed them with sno seal. Using my hands was the easiest way and felt pretty therapeutic (use a toothbrush to get at the seams). I did this a few times (maybe too much...how can you tell?) ahd let them cool off before rubbing off any excess with a cotton rag.

16. Trapp

Trapp Well-Known Member

lol...where did you get the idea to put them in the oven? My cobbler definately wouldn't approve of that.

17. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

If the problem is a orange hue, why not just use brown shoe cream? I did that with a pair of red wings that was too orange/red from the beginning, worked just fine.

Putting boots in the oven sounds insane...

18. Narwhale

Narwhale Well-Known Member

It does mention using an oven on a jar of Sno-Seal (Quote: "Use hair dryer, sunny area, or preheated and extenguished oven.").

19. Trapp

Trapp Well-Known Member

What you see in the pics is the already the result of two light applications of medium brown meltonian cream, which did work to take some edge off the orange.

I'll be hiking with them today on Mt. Tam.

20. otc

otc Well-Known Member

lol...where did you get the idea to put them in the oven? My cobbler definately wouldn't approve of that.

This is a warm oven, not a hot and ready to cook oven. To really get the sno seal worked into the boots, you have to get them warm and this is the best way to do it. Use an oven thermometer to MAKE SURE the oven is not too hot and put them in for a little bit. If you can't pull them out with your bare hands, something is definitely wrong.

It darkens the boots though for sure...