1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

help me computer experts :(

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Teger, Mar 9, 2011.

1. intent

intent Well-Known Member

but.. i have a mac!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. codetomorrow

codetomorrow Active Member

I can't believe nobody's said this---virus scan?
    Your Mac isn't going to get a virus any more than your toaster will.

3. CrackBaby

CrackBaby Well-Known Member

obviously there's something wrong with your brain, macs never do anything wrong, didn't you watch all those commercials?

cycle router, modem, restart computer, see what happens. i dunno how to do this on mac or if they even permit you to but on PC an error like that is typically your router denying access or a DNS error.

you can clear your computer's DNS cache in command prompt with:

ipconfig /flushdns

then
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

I dunno how you'd do that on a toy computer though.

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Interesting, makes me wonder if http://195.234.175.160 would work(amnesty international).

That URL is blocked by the Great FireWall. I guess it hasn't sussed the earlier Twitter URL yet.

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Actually malware for Macs does exist and it is out in the wild. But you have to really go out of your way to get it, namely installing pirated software.

6. codetomorrow

Actually malware for Macs does exist and it is out in the wild. But you have to really go out of your way to get it, namely installing pirated software.

There never has been and will never be a Mac virus. I didn't say anything about malware. Microsoft office could be considered malware. Malware is simply a very extreme version of, lets say, a poorly written application. If a user installs "I'm gonna fuck up your computer.app" which requires an admin's user name and password then they deserve whatever the app does to their computer. Don't however, confuse this with a virus.

</rant>

7. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

You're an idiot.

obviously there's something wrong with your brain, macs never do anything wrong, didn't you watch all those commercials?

cycle router, modem, restart computer, see what happens. i dunno how to do this on mac or if they even permit you to but on PC an error like that is typically your router denying access or a DNS error.

ipconfig /flushdns

then
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

Lol at you considering Windows more powerful than Mac, which is based on BSD and has a terminal.

There never has been and will never be a Mac virus. I didn't say anything about malware. Microsoft office could be considered malware. Malware is simply a very extreme version of, lets say, a poorly written application. If a user installs "I'm gonna fuck up your computer.app" which requires an admin's user name and password then they deserve whatever the app does to their computer. Don't however, confuse this with a virus.

</rant>

Still an idiot.

---

Teger, try changing your DNS settings:
    http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

Also, is this with wifi or via ethernet? Does one work, while the other doesn't?

8. CrackBaby

Lol at you considering Windows more powerful than Mac, which is based on BSD and has a terminal.

look brah, clearly you're on that phaggytime 24/7 with linux or some other kind of virgin until he's 35 OS but i never said windows was inherently more powerful. i said macs were toys, and implied that users of them were children compared to windows users which is proven again and again by mac bros asking the dumbest of dumb questions and wtfing when something relatively basic goes wrong with their shit.

9. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

There never has been and will never be a Mac virus.

Wasn't there something about the Titanic been unsinkable?

10. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

look brah, clearly you're on that phaggytime 24/7 with linux or some other kind of virgin until he's 35 OS but i never said windows was inherently more powerful. i said macs were toys, and implied that users of them were children compared to windows users .
    From experience some Windows users can be quite dumb as well. Opening every email attachement possible, installing every piece of spyware shovelwear they find. These sort of people maybe better off with a Mac. Windows in the corporate environment can be OK, because it's locked-down and administered by the IT department. Users shouldn't be able to get into trouble here, but they still do, infected USB sticks etc. Myself, I bought a Mac because I didn't want to be dealing with Windows Vista. Although I've since gone on to using Linux Mint as my main OS, and won't be buying another Mac. Now I'm living in China, is a very good reason I won't be using Windows.

11. CrackBaby

good luck pirating everything you need on a mac

12. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

ipconfig /flushdns

then
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

well, none of those commands work on macs, but ive already flushed my dns file and my host file and it still persists.

13. CrackBaby

14. codetomorrow

well, none of those commands work on macs, but ive already flushed my dns file and my host file and it still persists.

Were you able to ping or traceroute the site when you booted to the Mac OS X install disk? That will isolate the issue to your computer or your network/isp. I know you said it happens from multiple locations but there could be a common node causing the issue, like if you MAC address is ghosted out there in internet land.

You haven't isolated the issue, so doing troubleshooting is kinda pointless since you don't know where you're looking.

If you do end up isolating the issue to your Mac, then try both AirPort and ethernet, test in a new user, and try making a new location in Network Preferences. Depending on where it works and doesn't work helps you isolate the issue so you know what you're looking for. Otherwise you're just doing shotgun troubleshooting.

15. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

Were you able to ping or traceroute the site when you booted to the Mac OS X install disk? That will isolate the issue to your computer or your network/isp. I know you said it happens from multiple locations but there could be a common node causing the issue, like if you MAC address is ghosted out there in internet land.

You haven't isolated the issue, so doing troubleshooting is kinda pointless since you don't know where you're looking.

If you do end up isolating the issue to your Mac, then try both AirPort and ethernet, test in a new user, and try making a new location in Network Preferences. Depending on where it works and doesn't work helps you isolate the issue so you know what you're looking for. Otherwise you're just doing shotgun troubleshooting.

im gonna try the ethernet this weekend, and still trying to dig up my boot disk. part of the strangeness is it goes in and out - now i can click through links, but still can't access certain sites. sometimes they'll work for 20 mins, then stop.

16. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Just download a new copy of Snow Leopard. It'll be finished by the time you find the fucking disk. Then you can backup, reinstall, and go on about your life.

17. r...

r... Well-Known Member

You're an idiot. Lol at you considering Windows more powerful than Mac, which is based on BSD and has a terminal. Still an idiot. --- Teger, try changing your DNS settings: http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html Also, is this with wifi or via ethernet? Does one work, while the other doesn't?
    Snark + No help = assholery on your part. Mac "viruses" have been macros based via Microsoft Office apps. Trojenz, now thats another issue. To the OP, if I were a Mac Genius (wich im not) or so up on my skillz i would be willing to give you my number on the internet (wich i wont), the first thing I would have you try is to create a separate account on your mac and see if you can replicate the issue.

18. forStyle

forStyle Well-Known Member

clear cookies, try another browser? try linux liveCd?