1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Help me choose a Warby Parker frame

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rennavate, Aug 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. rennavate

rennavate Well-Known Member

I need a new pair of glasses, so I thought I'd give Warby Parker a try. At $95 with the option to get up to five frames sent out to try, I figure it's a good deal. These are some photos of some frames and what they "look like on me." Which look best? Don't mind colour so much as frame shape.

The Huxley:
    [​IMG]

The Japhy:
    [​IMG]

The Miles:
    [​IMG]

The Owen:
    [​IMG]

The Preston:
    [​IMG]

The Sinclair:
    [​IMG]

The Webb:
    [​IMG]

The Zagg:
    [​IMG]

Or am I completely off track in terms of what looks flattering on my mug?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. rennavate

Any thoughts? My favourite is the Miles.

3. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

I like the first one and the last one.

4. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Quote:
    +1 i blends in the best with your face

5. southbound35

southbound35 Well-Known Member

+1 on the Miles. That was the one that stood out to me as I took a quick look at the different styles and before I read that was your choice. If they allow you to buy a few pairs to try on and return, I would definitely pick up a few of the other styles that are close because it's likely each of the styles will look just a bit different in real life than they do in the computer-generated "try-on". The Zagg looks good as well.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  6. threeleggeddog

threeleggeddog Well-Known Member

I also like the miles (and maybe the Japhy - I'm not sure if black is the best though). However, I've placed two home try on orders with Warby, and NO frame looked nearly the same in-reality as with the virtual try-on. Maybe it's the way the computer analyzes my face size. But regardless, I would just order them all with home-try-on and re-post with real pics. Also, you have a very oval face - in reality I feel like a more rectangular frame might look best. Did you try the sibley?

7. Erenoth

Erenoth Well-Known Member

+1 on the Miles

8. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

First one radiates authority in a late fifties early sixties style.

9. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Well-Known Member

I like the Sinclair - sharp looking pair.

10. rennavate

I think the Sibley is too rectangular. I don't really like rectangular frames; I think they're too harsh.

11. threeleggeddog

Fair enough, your face, your style. But in general, deeper glasses are going to deepen your (oval) face. The Miles works best because it's kind of a contrasting horizontal oval. For the reverse reason, the Owen, Preston and Sinclair are the worst. And the Huxley kind of works because of the thickness of the sides - it helps pull your face out. I tried on an Oliver People's frame that I think would work extremely well with your face (but I can't remember the name). If I run across it, I'll let you know.

12. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Agreed, I think the Miles suits you best.

13. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Well-Known Member

I like the Huxley, though I rather despise Aldous Huxley.

14. steviecakes

steviecakes Well-Known Member

Either the Huxley or the Miles. With your oval face shape, it's hard to go wrong though. Have you considered the Griffin? It's more circular/larger than the others, but I feel like you can get away with that.

15. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Well-Known Member

Are you satisfied with the quality? I'm sitting on a set of try-on frames but I can't really get behind any of them.
    I ended up ordering a set of try-on frames from classicspecs.com. My understanding is that they're manufactured by Shuron and, IMO, the styles look better. I should get them in a few days; I'm interested to see how they stack up to Warby Parker.

16. threeleggeddog

Holy crap - those classicspec glasses are all tiny in width. I'm not sure who they are selling to (maybe mostly women, with unisex offerings?). The biggest eyesize I saw was 52mm with a 17mm bridge. I have a medium width head and I would have to bow the arms a bit just to keep from touching my temples. Even the round frames are smaller than average - typical round glasses seem to be around 47mm. Their two options are 43mm and 45mm.

The glasses look nice though if they fit your face. Post some pics once you get them.

17. shakattk

shakattk Well-Known Member

Like both miles and Sinclair. take your pick of how bold you want to go. Or buy two like I did last year and switch off.

18. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

i like the sinclair best but the pics don't make it easy to tell which suits your face best (and i probably wouldn't know anyway).

19. Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan Well-Known Member

I like the Miles, Japhy or the Zagg..

20. rennavate

Thanks for the feedback, guys. It turns on the Try-On feature is limited to the United States, and I'm in Canada. I might order two or three pairs and send back the ones I don't want. Or I might just order one and see how it turns out.