• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose a special pair of Edward Green shoes

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of nice reccomendations. The split toes are nice but they would be a more informal design. Personally I would go with either the Walcot Newbury or Ladbroke. Regardless of style definately definately DEFINATELY go with Edwardian

sysdoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
What the push-bikes??? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151 I don't think there is anything wrong with the bikes.
Guess I've got to declare myself a bit thick ... or at least somewhat dyslexic.
mad.gif
Bengal, all is clear - their ain't an Edward Green Halford and I guess there was never meant to either. The mysterious shoe style named after John's home town and shut down by Hilary is called HAYFORD! It sometimes helps to read your stuff before posting at SF. No push bikes from EG either ...
confused.gif

sammy

Reaction score
I'm in a similar position as Thinman. For my first pair of MTO EGs, I'm going with the Newbury without the medallion, 4 eyelets, 82 last, heavily antiqued burnt pine. I'm open to suggestions.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
I'm in a similar position as Thinman. For my first pair of MTO EGs, I'm going with the Newbury without the medallion, 4 eyelets, 82 last, heavily antiqued burnt pine. I'm open to suggestions.

888 instead of the 82

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Hilary sent the promised pair of try-on shoes to the Beverly Hills RL store very quickly and I drove there yesterday to try on shoes and place my order. The US 11.5D on the 89 last was a nice fit, snug but not too tight. I adopted much of the advice given in this thread and ordered what RL calls the Pitney (the EG Dover) in US 11.5D on the 89 last, in Edwardian antique with extra antiquing, and the Thames sole. My only reservations concern how the Dover will look on the 89 last, but I'm excited and have begun anxiously awaiting delivery of the shoes, which I understand will take about 3 months. Thanks for all of the advice!

As a sidenote, I also drove to the Cabazon outlet mall and found a Luciano Barbera suit in my size(!!) at Saks Off 5th, for $439. Basting threads are intact, sleeves are unfinished, and the trousers appear long enough for 1.5" cuffs. They'll ship it to me when their sale starts on the 15th. I put the suit on an Oxxford hanger I found (didn't find the suit) and they're supposed to send me the hanger as well.

As a non-clothing sidenote, the Villeroy & Boch store in the Cabazon mall is closing, so I dropped a small bundle on china as well, priced at 50% off the usual outlet store prices.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
As a sidenote, I also drove to the Cabazon outlet mall and found a Luciano Barbera suit in my size(!!) at Saks Off 5th, for $439. Basting threads are intact, sleeves are unfinished, and the trousers appear long enough for 1.5" cuffs. They'll ship it to me when their sale starts on the 15th. I put the suit on an Oxxford hanger I found (didn't find the suit) and they're supposed to send me the hanger as well.

Was the stock at Saks good enough to merit a trip from San Diego?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reubencahn
Was the stock at Saks good enough to merit a trip from San Diego?

The Saks Off 5th in Cabazon had more Corneliani jackets and suits than I've ever seen at an outlet store (half a dozen jackets, in sizes near 42-46, and a mix of regular and long) and several Corneliani suits in 40R and a few other larger sizes. The 40R always tempt me because they're just a smidge too short. They also had 4-5 Dunhill jackets that were well-made, but in patterns that would arrive before I would (e.g. cream with a bright pink windowpane). I checked the entire rack of odd jackets (a fairly small total number, but a high percentagfe of Corneliani and Dunhill), but only the 40L and 40R suits. I saw nothing interesting in sizes smaller than 40. They also had their usual large number of Abboud and Boss suits. If you want something specific, you might call first, but if you go and are serious about finding something, you may want to check very carefully, because many of the sizes on the hangers didn't correspond to the size of the jacket on the hanger.

I might also mention that the Ralph Lauren store in the same mall just received about 10 charcoal pinstripe *Blue Label* suits (so made by Corneliani) in sizes 42 and larger. It's the first time I've seen Blue Label or Purple Label suits in any RL outlet store.

Since I was in Beverly Hills and I hadn't been to the Cabazon mall in 2-3 months, I thought it would be worthwhile for me to look. I was thrilled to find the Barbera suit, since I *very* rarely find suit or jackets in my size (38L in most makes, 40L in some).

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
An Ecton! Congrats man, I love that shoe.

Thanks Z! I'm especially happy to have found it on the 888.

tailorrmade

Reaction score
Thinman what did you wind up with? I am about to do the same. I am looking at the Gresham boot with the Edwardian finish. Also, I am having a hard time with sizing. SkyValet never has my size in the 888 last. How did you get them to send you a trial pair for size? thanks for any help you can provide!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tailorrmade
Thinman what did you wind up with? I am about to do the same. I am looking at the Gresham boot with the Edwardian finish. Also, I am having a hard time with sizing. SkyValet never has my size in the 888 last. How did you get them to send you a trial pair for size? thanks for any help you can provide!

I ended up with the Dover (RL calls it the "Pitney") in Edwardian antique, with extra antiquing, on the 808 last. I could have sworn that I ordered it on the 89 last, but the 808 is an excellent fit. They are my favorite shoes and I wear them approximately 3 times a week (I'm wearing them today, in fact).

Hilary Freeman sent the try-on shoes to the Beverly Hills RL store, where I was fitted. I suspect the BH RL store sells a much higher volume than Sky Valet, so it's easier for them to request try-ons. Although Adam at Sky Valet once told me he would get a try-on pair for me, he never called and I didn't follow up either.

If you want to try on a pair of lace-up shoes on the 888 last, you might call your nearest RL store and ask if they have a Mackay in your size.

Oh, and thanks again to all who contributed to this thread. I'm truly enjoying my EG shoes (and collecting more. During the recent 30%-off sale on polo.com, I ordered a pair of Grants from "my" salesman at the BH store and he honored the online sale price).

tailorrmade

Reaction score
Thanks! Is that sale over? I would love to order a pair of Grants!

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I ended up with the Dover (RL calls it the "Pitney") in Edwardian antique, with extra antiquing, on the 808 last. I could have sworn that I ordered it on the 89 last, but the 808 is an excellent fit. They are my favorite shoes and I wear them approximately 3 times a week (I'm wearing them today, in fact).

Hilary Freeman sent the try-on shoes to the Beverly Hills RL store, where I was fitted. I suspect the BH RL store sells a much higher volume than Sky Valet, so it's easier for them to request try-ons. Although Adam at Sky Valet once told me he would get a try-on pair for me, he never called and I didn't follow up either.

If you want to try on a pair of lace-up shoes on the 888 last, you might call your nearest RL store and ask if they have a Mackay in your size.

Oh, and thanks again to all who contributed to this thread. I'm truly enjoying my EG shoes (and collecting more. During the recent 30%-off sale on polo.com, I ordered a pair of Grants from "my" salesman at the BH store and he honored the online sale price).

Any pics?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads