1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Help gladhands pick out a whipped wagon

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gladhands, May 2, 2011.

1. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

Just my opinion but you'll want to get something as roomy as possible relative to wheelbase. Nixing SUVs limits your choice at that point. Check out Volvo.

+1

OP, my brother the banker married somebody much like your wife (from your description) and he bought the Volvo SUV-thingy XC90. Peace at any price, my friend ... [​IMG]

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Congrats !

Look at the Ford Edge, the newer ones are better on gas, they also have a generous back seat to fit the car seat plus all the other baby necessities. They are also rather quiet.

My sister and her husband got an Edge when they had their second kid. They love it. It gets 25 mpg highway, feels nice, and I've driven it several times and it's nice to drive around it. Big and roomy.

3. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

i love my Subaru Forester. the first one saved my life so naturally i picked up a second one.

the first was an XT which was a hoot to drive. and it was fun being able to out accelerate G35s, 328s, etc in my little turbocharged 4 banger. i miss that thing.

current one is a bottom of the line model but i still love it.

-Jjeff

4. pscolari

pscolari Well-Known Member

My wife just had our first child and will be moving from Boston to Pittsburgh, so it's time to add a second car. We're looking for a wagonish vehicle with awd or 4wd to deal with the hills and snow in our new city. I'm not interested in an SUV.

Right now my wife and I are considerign the Honda Crosstour and Audi A3. Thoughts? Suggestions?

We recently bought an A3 with quattro here in Boston. For us size was not an issue as we have no kids and just a small dog. Prior to this, we had (and are just about to sell) a Subaru Outback. Our first instinct was to test drive the new Outback, but we felt the car was bloated and nothing like the best parts about our 2000 Outback. We also realized at this time we didn't need the space, but still wanted to focus on AWD. We did also test drive VW Tiguan and Passat wagon. Didn't test Jetta wagon as, like you mention, not 4motion.

We are very happy with the A3, though the wait was terrible. We ordered around mid-August and finally got the car December 29. The day before I picked it up we got about a foot of snow and got to drive it in the snow right off the bat. Compared to our outback, the quattro feels better, but that might also have to do with having a much smaller wheel base and a lower COG.

For your purpose, I am not sure how great it would be for an infant w car seat in back. For a point of reference though, I have been in the back of A4 Avants before and it doesn't seem like there is that much more room compared to A3. So, I don't think you win with Audi, unless you go Q5. The only other car I would consider if we had to do it over again would be either a 3 or 5 series wagon with about 30k miles on it. Since we have only put on about 200 miles a month on the A3, I would be happy to buy preowned with a car like that.

5. turboman808

turboman808 Well-Known Member

Sorta on topic sorta not

Getting married this Friday and we are picking up a 4x4 when we get back from our honeymoon. [​IMG]

Really we are getting a rock crawler. We go out with friends and it's always a good time. Now we will have our own.

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

Just my opinion but you'll want to get something as roomy as possible relative to wheelbase. Nixing SUVs limits your choice at that point. Check out Volvo.

This is what I told him to do in a PM; the new V60 that is coming out looks like a nice car and would suit his needs well. It's also more car than an A3, which is essentially a nice looking Golf 5-door, though the Volvo and the Audi with similar realistic options probably come with similar price tags.

7. gladhands

gladhands Well-Known Member

I appreciate everyone's advice here. You guys are great. Who knew that this is where the gentlemen hang out?

8. OldGeezer

OldGeezer Well-Known Member

+1 Volvo
    +100 Subaru

9. changy

changy Well-Known Member

Why the aversion to SUV's? I think models like the Lexus RX line or BMW x3 is a nice middle ground if you don't want to go full size. Just throwing it out there

10. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

If you're willing to look at the Xtour, might as well take a look at the Toyota Venza. My wife and I are in the same situation and after car shopping for several months, I'm pretty confident we've found the car we need in the Venza.

11. henrikc

henrikc Well-Known Member

The Volvo XC70 would probably be a good fit. As far as I understand, most of the issues with this model has been sorted out in the last couple of years. Worth a look at least.

12. Spats

Spats Well-Known Member

The Volvo XC70 would probably be a good fit. As far as I understand, most of the issues with this model has been sorted out in the last couple of years. Worth a look at least.
    My usual .02 on automobiles (don't ask me how I know): European cars, any of them, will break you on maintenance costs relative to American or Asian cars. That's a promise. And, Audis are this decade's douche-mobile. That is all, and happy motoring.

13. gladhands

gladhands Well-Known Member

We ended up going with the Subaru Forester. The signt lines in the Crosstour were awful. The rear windshield is like a porthole. The A3 Quattro barely exists, and we didn't want to wait. In the end, we went with the lez-mobile and saved ten grand.

14. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

Congrats. Hope it lives a long and trouble free life in your hands.

I've secretly been eyeing an Audi S6 Avant Quattro (340hp, fuck yea!) that somehow only has 60k miles and is around $18,000. Would be a great whip for carrying cycling, skiing, golf gear etc. Plus could fit a good number of adults comfortably. Or a dog if I ever got around to owning one. I'd need to move out of NYC to make this something feasible though...

15. impolyt_one

one of the older ones, without the V10 right?

16. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

340hp is a 4.2 V8 (the C5 model)

17. impolyt_one

Would love to have the newer V10 one - the 4.2 V8 one, not so much. There's a family next door that has the S8 and the 5.2 R8, so they have 2/3rds of the cars that are sold with that engine... haha. The V10 cars are something special.

18. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

V10 ones are also several multiples more expensive than the one I'm eyeing. Not even close to affordable to me :nodding:

19. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

nvm

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011