1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Help finding and investing in a good overcoat. Maybe a camel coat?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by angelescrest, Oct 5, 2016.

1. angelescrest

angelescrest Well-Known Member

So I dress primarily for the university setting, and occasionally for church. My style tends to be more preppy, ivy style. Lots of merino sweaters and cardigans, wool pants, Allen Edmond shoes/boots, and knit ties if I wear a tie (every other day), of course when it's winter time.

What I've been wrestling with, and missing, is a good winter coat that can fit over my blazers and the rare suit I wear. I have lots of jackets, from down puffers to a Barbour waxed jacket, as well as a couple wool coats that are too slim to fit over any Blazers or suits. Basically, anything in a size medium fits too perfectly, and works only if I'm wearing a dress shirt or light sweater underneath. Large coats are usually too large, and while it got fit in the shoulders I would have to get some tailoring done.

It seems like I have to spend some decent cash to get a good coat, but I want to buy something that I can use, honestly, for the rest of my life. Both in terms of quality and a timeless style. I would also like a coat that isn't extremely formal, so that I could get away dressing it down like with nice jeans and knitwear.

1) What should I be budgeting? I'd prefer to spend 500-750, but I don't know if that's reasonable.

2) What kind of coat should I look for in terms of style, brands, materials, etc? If you know of any good posts that discuss this, please link to them.

Lately, I have been looking at camel coats, with the idea that they are timeless. So I have been looking for a wool camel coat, double breasted. I've noticed the Ami version on Mr. Porter, and theSuSu one, both are nearly identical in style, though I don't know if they are good quality, and warm enough for northern cold winters. I'm also thinking of avoiding a full length coat since I rarely wear suits. The other coat I like, and is a classic style, is the Gloverall Duffel coat, maybe in a dark green or navy. It's less formal, a good length, but isn't particularly amazing or anything. Last winter I bought the J.Crew peaked lapel camel color topcoat, on a great sale, but the shoulders were too snug and I couldn't fit it over much. It seems like so many of the coats out there, with the slim style going on, don't really fit properly over a suit jacket. The Gloverall does not have this problem.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Any leads on companies and models I should be looking at, or particular styles, would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016