1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Ferragamo Shoes for Work? (New MBA in Consulting)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by barracudapartne, Jul 7, 2012.

1. barracudapartne

barracudapartne Well-Known Member

2. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

You're a damn fool if you spend 1900+ and end up with Ferragamos

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  3. barracudapartne

What do you recommend

4. latindandy

latindandy Well-Known Member

I bought three pairs of nice gamo's for about 100$ each in a sale. Wait for a sale.

5. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Well-Known Member

Yes, you don't get much more formal than a black cap toe. Leather soles. Go for it, but i'd shop around rather than buying direct, there is always a better deal to be had, and in the case of the first shoe, a much better deal, for that shoe, or better yet a much better shoe for that amount of money.

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Although wholecuts are very excellent (I own 3), if these are going to be your first dress shoes, I suggest you pick up shoes that are more basic (i.e., cap toe or short wings). Wholecuts look nice but are unique so they will draw attention (not a good thing if you're wearing the same shoe every other day).

SF is fine, especially the Tramezza line, but you can definitely get at least 3 (or even 4) good shoes for around $2K. You can easily pick us shoes from Crockett & Jones, Alfred Sargent, or Vass for that amount of money. The quality is on par if not better than SF Tramezza and you get an extra shoe out of it! If you taken it down a couple of notches, you can pick up a half dozen Allen Edmond shoes, which personally I think are stepping stone shoes, to get your started.

Leather soled shoes are considered dressier but others prefer the comfort and traction of rubber soles. My preference is leather soled. Congratulations on your new job!

7. supplychainman

supplychainman Well-Known Member

8. newyorknoir

newyorknoir Well-Known Member

If you want a wholecut I would go with Crockett & Jones, hand grade.. Weymouth..

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  9. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Well-Known Member

I currently work at a ferragamo outlet and we have Tramezzas for half that. Ill pm you.

10. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Don't forget to get shoe trees!

11. barracudapartne

Thanks for the advice.

It seems I'll be probably going with a BB-Fitz, so will Allen Edmonds look too "wide" given the more modern cut suit, or should I stick with slightly narrower, Italian shoes?

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Those will look great, stick with black.

13. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Go with the width that fits your foot. Trust me, you'll be happier when your feet don't hurt after 3 hours.

14. victory2g

victory2g New Member

I work at McKinsey - I would not recommend the Ferregamos because, as a previous poster mentioned, they will attract attention. I've always been told by management that you don't want to 'show up' clients. Allen Edmunds is probably a safer bet. Might work better in investment banking, but I'd skip the flash in consulting.

15. plei89

plei89 Well-Known Member

:facepalm:

The two shoes he posted, no one's going to know they're Ferragamos. And most Allen Edmonds are more elegant and attention grabbing (aside from the Park Ave).

16. Ivon

Ivon Well-Known Member

If you pick a conservative model in a conservative color, they won't really stand out. I have LO Novaxy perf captoes in black and brown, they are sleeker than AE on the standard 5 or 7 last, but are actually a bit wider than my G&Gs. Just try not to wear fashion Ferragamos, aka Gancini loafers. Nobody will really notice. All they will see is that the shoes are "correct" and "professional" and therefore you are not a moron or narcisstic joke and that is all that matters, client perception of consultant trumps fashion til you succeed/fail.

17. EBugatti

EBugatti Well-Known Member

This. The shoes are nice and conservative --if you like them get them. No one will notice, esp if you get the black ones.

18. curzon

curzon Well-Known Member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti