1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Help deciding...low tier MBA now or top 10 later?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by inq89, May 10, 2011.

1. austinite

austinite Well-Known Member

I suspect that the quality of the school would have little impact on your current plans, but are you sure you know what you want to do?

As a compromise can you get a masters in management now, and save the MBA for later? Do people do this?

2. inq89

inq89 Well-Known Member

Very persuasive points on both sides, and it clearly makes my decision that much harder. Thanks all.

I suspect that the quality of the school would have little impact on your current plans, but are you sure you know what you want to do?

As a compromise can you get a masters in management now, and save the MBA for later? Do people do this?

The conflict is whether or not to take my program's dual MBA/PharmD, so no I am not interested in any other master's (not that my school offers anything else anyway).

3. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

could you pile some management topics in to the extra year and graduate with a double major? something like that?

4. scientific

scientific Well-Known Member

dude. i just skimmed the OP and it's clear you have no idea what you're doing. are you using the dartboard method?

5. inq89

inq89 Well-Known Member

could you pile some management topics in to the extra year and graduate with a double major? something like that?

No I'm already in a professional graduate program with a set schedule, so it isn't like undergrad where I can add another major, except for the dual doctorate/masters.

dude. i just skimmed the OP and it's clear you have no idea what you're doing. are you using the dartboard method?

How so? I see it as two defined decisions, please aware me?

6. alphaO888

alphaO888 Well-Known Member

why are you even considering an MBA? I don't see how an MBA will do anything for you in the military nor your career path. Save your money and start your career path.

7. slycedbred

slycedbred Well-Known Member

Do any of you have any reading skills at all?

This is the most down's syndrome advice I've ever read on SF. It's unfortunate because SF usually offers pretty logical advice.

8. HEARTLESS-531

HEARTLESS-531 Well-Known Member

Inq,
    I would do it now. If you end up at the VA (in a GS position) they don't care where your MBA came from, as long as you have it. The same with the military - and I can certainly speak to that!Personally, I would opt for in-class vice on-line MBA program. Although the ranks of medical/dental professionals with MBAs is growing, you, as a pharmacist, are still a hot commodity with an MBA.
    When a dumb-ass computer-job person asks me why I got an MBA - I usually ask them, 'What, you don't have an MD?' (insert your professional degree here: DDS, DVM, PharmD, etc).
    To sum up:
    -Enroll now with in-class MBA.
    -Keep options open.
    P.S. - Later never comes. Marriage, kids, divorce, etc.

9. alphaO888

alphaO888 Well-Known Member

Inq,
    I would do it now. If you end up at the VA (in a GS position) they don't care where your MBA came from, as long as you have it. The same with the military - and I can certainly speak to that!Personally, I would opt for in-class vice on-line MBA program. Although the ranks of medical/dental professionals with MBAs is growing, you, as a pharmacist, are still a hot commodity with an MBA.
    When a dumb-ass computer-job person asks me why I got an MBA - I usually ask them, 'What, you don't have an MD?' (insert your professional degree here: DDS, DVM, PharmD, etc).
    To sum up:
    -Enroll now with in-class MBA.
    -Keep options open.
    P.S. - Later never comes. Marriage, kids, divorce, etc.

I can't comment on how necessary an MBA is in the pharmacy field but in finance there's absolutely no point in going to school for one if it isn't a top ten; it becomes a huge waste of money.

I totally disagree with the MBA-MD comparison. An MD takes substantially longer to complete due to its undergrad prerequisites, longer school time, and residency requirements to practice afterwards. An MBA on the other hand is a two year vacation.

10. inq89

inq89 Well-Known Member

why are you even considering an MBA? I don't see how an MBA will do anything for you in the military nor your career path. Save your money and start your career path.
    While not specifically needed, an MBA would help in getting a Director of Pharmacy position which is where I eventually want to end up. If anything it helps set me apart from a field of widely "just pharmDs".
    Do any of you have any reading skills at all? This is the most down's syndrome advice I've ever read on SF. It's unfortunate because SF usually offers pretty logical advice.
    lol
    Inq, I would do it now. If you end up at the VA (in a GS position) they don't care where your MBA came from, as long as you have it. The same with the military - and I can certainly speak to that!Personally, I would opt for in-class vice on-line MBA program. Although the ranks of medical/dental professionals with MBAs is growing, you, as a pharmacist, are still a hot commodity with an MBA. When a dumb-ass computer-job person asks me why I got an MBA - I usually ask them, 'What, you don't have an MD?' (insert your professional degree here: DDS, DVM, PharmD, etc). To sum up: -Enroll now with in-class MBA. -Keep options open. P.S. - Later never comes. Marriage, kids, divorce, etc.
    Agree on your key points. I talked with a director of pharmacy at a VA yesterday...he said do it now, and I trust his opinion the most. I am 99% sure I will do it now at this point.
    I can't comment on how necessary an MBA is in the pharmacy field but in finance there's absolutely no point in going to school for one if it isn't a top ten; it becomes a huge waste of money. I totally disagree with the MBA-MD comparison. An MD takes substantially longer to complete due to its undergrad prerequisites, longer school time, and residency requirements to practice afterwards. An MBA on the other hand is a two year vacation.
    I think that's where the confusion stems from, as healthcare at this point is still widely different from wall street. I myself have confusion as well, which is why I started the OP, but from research since then I have gathered that brand name does not matter in my specific career goals. CEO of Pfizer, sure. But not a DOP at any regular VA. My PharmD is seen as the terminal degree, since it is a professional doctorate, in which case my school is known for it. **If I am wrong in this thinking, please add to the discussion. **