1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Help! College Colors for ties.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sam Hober, Oct 10, 2006.

1. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Well-Known Member

different is always better.

2. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Well-Known Member

different is always better.
    Hi Dirk Diggler, Different/new is certainly often better artistically speaking, but many gentlemen seem to prefer a more traditional approach when it comes to college ties.....

3. abc123

abc123 Well-Known Member

Traditional is better, imho. If you're making a college tie, I feel that it should be an authentic college stylled tie.

4. Sam Hober

For those who are interested in the final selection please visit:

http://samhober.com/collegeties/collegeties.htm

The next step is to work on CAD designs, which will show the colors and patterns but not the repp weave. All the striped ties will be done in a repp weave to give them a traditional feeling.

Please note that while the selections for phase one are finished we are starting to work on the next group of silks. So please let us know your thoughts.

Thank you!

5. Sam Hober

6. Sam Hober

I am almost done making adjustments to all the designs.One that is proving to be fun and challenging is Penn State.

Here is the situation, dark pink was a traditional color in the past but is no longer an official color - but it certainly is historically a trad color, this is clear.

Here is the current draft of the design:

[​IMG]

It is hard to see in the image but there are thin black lines between the blue and white.

A suggestion has been made to add a pink line down the middle of the white lines.

1) Would this be a trad thing to do - using the dark pink. Cetainly historically, but trad?

2) If the consensus is that it is trad, how would it look aesthetically?

Here is some background info:

Penn State's student-athletes are instantly identified by their blue and white uniforms - but those weren't the original school colors. A three-member committee representing the sophomore, junior and senior classes was appointed in October of 1887 to develop color options from which the student body would select the school's official colors. Dark pink and black was the unanimous choice of the student body after considering the color combinations presented by the committee.

Soon many students and the baseball team were sporting pink and black striped blazers and caps. However, problems arose when the pink faded to white after several weeks of exposure to the sun. The students then opted for blue, rather than black, and white. The official announcement of the new choice was made on March 18, 1890.

Current colors:

Penn State Colors

Penn State colors are dark royal blue (PMS 287) and white. A lighter blue (PMS 285) is used as an accent color. Black and gray (PMS 424) are used as supportive colors.

PMS 285
    0-102-255
    #0066FF
    PMS 287
    0-0-153
    PMS 424
    102-102-102
    Black
    0-0-0

7. Sam Hober

The silks are all done except Stanford, Mississippi and Virginia. It has been a pleasure working with all the suggestions. Getting the colors was a big challenge, as many schools have different colors for home and away games as well as different colors for various departments. The most interesting design to work on and the most challenging was Pennsylvania State. I love history and Eagle 2250 was an advocate of reaching deep into the past to include a black and dark pink which although not currently in use are very much part of Pennsylvania State's past. After spending a long time thinking about the design I decided to put a thin dark pink and black stripe on the edges of the white stripe the effect is subtle as a reflection of the past. Here is the Pennsylvania State design (The photo is not the exact color that the silk will have) Please note that this design has a thin dark pink line which the photo in the previous post does not. [​IMG] A few days after Christmas I should have time to take photos all the silks (except three) and send out swatches to those who would like one. Just send me an email. Thanks again for all the ideas.

8. Sam Hober

Georgetown Blue and dull gray - per request. I looked at quite a few old civil war photos (amazing what you can find with Google images) to get the dull gray. [​IMG] A big thank you to all those who contributed ideas.

9. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] PLEEEEEEEASE someone make it stop!!!!!

10. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

11. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

How about a West Point tie? The current offering leaves something to be desired:

http://www.westpointgiftstore.com/pr...dept%5Fid=2110

BTW, the colors (black, grey, gold) correspond to the components of gun powder: charcoal (black), saltpeter/potassium nitrate (grey) and sulfur (gold).

I'd be the first to buy one.

12. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

bowtie guy was hilariously annoying.

Sam, if you are thinking about any more. You could do blue and gold for the UC System. Maybe the University of Delaware one would work, though I see the UC one as looking more like the UNC you have. Maybe with some metallic gold accent if you have another go around.

13. Sam Hober

Phoenix, Thank you for the idea - for the future. I love the historical information. I wonder about the sulfur color, would it be sort of a pale yellow/gold? Keep in mind that silk tends to make colors brighter which is why pantone colors are a good starting point - but I actually work with silk yarn/swatches when we get to color specification. For the sake of diplomacy I would probably have to do the the other service schools at the same time....
    How about a West Point tie? The current offering leaves something to be desired: http://www.westpointgiftstore.com/pr...dept%5Fid=2110 BTW, the colors (black, grey, gold) correspond to the components of gun powder: charcoal (black), saltpeter/potassium nitrate (grey) and sulfur (gold). I'd be the first to buy one.
    Tie collector, When you say UC do you mean the University of California? We are currently working on a very interesting project based on USC's colors. In addition to USC's main two colors we are adding a third color with the idea of blending with a suit. As an example: Gray or blue. The silk is being woven now and we should have photographs for next month. By the way, I think that you have a great name. I would love to start a tie collection of historical ties. I have an early Talbott seven-fold which is probably from their first year, but no old western ties, and I would love some old English and French ones. Maybe we could start making period ties for movie companies?
    David, if you are thinking about any more. You could do blue and gold for the UC System. Maybe the University of Delaware one would work, though I see the UC one as looking more like the UNC you have. Maybe with some metallic gold accent if you have another go around.

14. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

Tie collector,

When you say UC do you mean the University of California?

We are currently working on a very interesting project based on USC's colors.

In addition to USC's main two colors we are adding a third color with the idea of blending with a suit. As an example: Gray or blue.

The silk is being woven now and we should have photographs for next month.

By the way, I think that you have a great name. I would love to start a tie collection of historical ties. I have an early Talbott seven-fold which is probably from their first year, but no old western ties, and I would love some old English and French ones. Maybe we could start making period ties for movie companies?

Yes, UC is University of California. I believe the official colors for UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, UC Davis, UCLA, etc are blue and gold. UCLA is a little different in that it is light blue and gold though and UC Davis uses a metallic gold instead of a yellowy gold like the other UCs do. A lot of people go to at least one of the UCs though.

15. jefferson

jefferson Well-Known Member

The colors for the UC systems are a little bit different specific to the campus. The blues and golds are of different shades. However, if you do create one for the University of California- Berkeley, I can guarantee at least one sold tie! If you make it 7-fold, you'll have a friend for life!

16. Sam Hober

Jefferson, Thank you for the color variation information. If we do weave a CAL silk six and seven-folds will be available. A lined six-fold will tend to be better than an unlined seven-fold in terms of wrinkle resistance.
    The colors for the UC systems are a little bit different specific to the campus. The blues and golds are of different shades. However, if you do create one for the University of California- Berkeley, I can guarantee at least one sold tie! If you make it 7-fold, you'll have a friend for life!