• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! College Colors for ties.

abc123

Reaction score
Georgetown - blue and grey (though silver would work fine). I would love to be able to get a custom sized one in high quality silk.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobo
you say you wove the silk for that tie? Well if you did, you got the orange color wrong.
Looks right to me -- but maybe not burnt enough? I'm a recent Texas graduate and although I really despise the burnt orange color for shirts and nearly all attire, I think it looks great on a tie. When I finally get around to ordering a tie from you, Mr. Hober, this may be the one. As of now, though, I have too many ties and not enough shoes.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Penn seconded. I know of a few other alumni and student around these parts who would probably be interested, too. A smaller audience, I suppose, would go for Dartmouth; at least I'd want one. And if there is interest, Stanford, Harvard, or MIT ties would be very appreciated by me for gifts.
Whoppee, Thank you for your suggestions. Any ideas on designs?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Penn should be equal blocks of red and blue. Usually I see Dartmouth, Stanford, and Harvard repps with the dominant school colour (green, cardinal, crimson) as a wider stripe, and a narrow white stripe. Having them be equal size could be a nice touch, though perhaps not completely authentic and also more casual and summery to my eye. I can't remember seeing an MIT tie being worn; it seems to me that school ties aren't their sort of thing. All the more reason to make one? Maybe, maybe not.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can't remember seeing an MIT tie being worn; it seems to me that school ties aren't their sort of thing. All the more reason to make one? Maybe, maybe not.
Someone needs to capitalize on this nascent bespoke "pocket protector" market.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
hey now...
easy tiger... don't fog up your glasses... hehe

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Penn should be equal blocks of red and blue. Usually I see Dartmouth, Stanford, and Harvard repps with the dominant school colour (green, cardinal, crimson) as a wider stripe, and a narrow white stripe. Having them be equal size could be a nice touch, though perhaps not completely authentic and also more casual and summery to my eye. I can't remember seeing an MIT tie being worn; it seems to me that school ties aren't their sort of thing. All the more reason to make one? Maybe, maybe not.
Equal Blocks could be interesting. What width were you thinking of? I used to prefer thinner stripes like this classic tie: http://www.samhober.com/store/Englis...5-p-16920.html But recently I have been very interested in bolder equal bands of color. I am working (an unrelated project not connected to this college series) on a multi-color design now for a client that will be very bright and cheerful. An MIT tie could be a stroke of genius, then again it might not.. (smiling). I shall have to ponder the matter. I did some research on the Penn colors, please note the flag discussion: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] University of Pennsylvania [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]History of Penn Colors[/FONT]
redblue18890315x250.jpg
"The Red and the Blue" Vol. I, No. 2 published March 15, 1889
"When were the Red and Blue first used as Penn's colors? Francis James Dallett, then the University Archivist, answered this question in the Daily Pennsylvanian of 23 November 1983:
"The earliest known representation of the combined Penn colors, red and blue, is as reported: on the incised letters of the lid of the 1871 College Hall cornerstone. I am unable to trace the use of either color as having any prior use on any document or artifact which would indicate any special significance to the institution; of course, the two colors do reflect the colors of the national flag. The whole business of assigned institutional colors is a 19th century phenomenon, perhaps with roots in the Romantic Age in the commercial vein of the 'assigned' tartans of the Scottish clans who had no defined plaids earlier. Eighteenth century American academic institutions simply did not have colors."​
Exactly which shades of red and blue are those of the University? The University has used different shades of red and blue at different times over the past century. Hopefully the University has been faithful to a resolution adopted by the Trustees on 17 May 1910:
"The colors shall be red and blue,...The colors shall conform to the present standards used by the United States Government in its flags."​
In the nineteenth century there were no official standards for the colors of the United States flag. The federal government and private manufacturers did not follow the same color guidelines, and private manufacturers in particular tended to use whatever shades of red and blue cloth that were available. Later the garment industry developed the first precise color standards and presented them as the Standard Color Card of America. When the first government standards were established for the flag in the 1930s, the specified shade of blue, "national flag blue," was the same blue-black in common use for police uniforms. In the 1960's the shades of the flag colors were officially designated as "Old Glory" red and "Old Glory" blue. These colors are not designated by law, but are listed in the GSA technical specifications for manufacturers. Today the Standard Color Card of America standards have been superseded by the Panatone Matching System (PMS). According to the PMS system, the PMS number for national flag blue is 282, while the current flag colors are PMS color blue 281 and PMS color red 193. A darker "burgundy" red and a dark blue were adopted many years ago as competition colors by Penn Athletics and these colors have long been preferred by Development and Alumni Relations. About 1986, PMS red 201 and PMS blue 288 were established as the specification for all official University printed material; these are the standards Facilities Services uses when selecting paint colors."

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by abc123
Georgetown - blue and grey (though silver would work fine). I would love to be able to get a custom sized one in high quality silk.
Abc123, What sort of design did you have in mind?

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mulberrywood
Coachvu,

Black and gold are good colors. When you have a moment please let me know how small you were thinking about for stripes.

I understand what you mean about bookstore ties. Have no fear these ties will be fully bespoke like all of our ties. Length, width, shape & construction. The only challenge is getting the colors correct.

Well, nothing bigger than 1/2", but I think 1/4" might look even better. I think larger stripes in those colors may be too overpowering.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Mr. Hober, I see the Longhorn on your site, but am unable to locate the Columbia, which, though not a football fan, I would buy in a New York minute.
Hello Nantucket Red, We only have the Longhorn today. The college colors tie series is a new project that was sparked by an interest in the Longhorn tie. We have had a request for a Columbia tie in light blue and white with equal 3/4" inch wide stripes. What do you think about that stripe pattern? I lived in Mitaka on the west side of Tokyo for 5 years where do you live?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That Longhorn tie is fantastic. I may consider that for my first order. By the by, I really like the idea of college rep ties. I'm sure some of the colors will appeal to buyers even if they didn't go to the school. Just keep away from crests and the like!

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Equal Blocks could be interesting. What width were you thinking of? I used to prefer thinner stripes like this classic tie:

http://www.samhober.com/store/Englis...5-p-16920.html

But recently I have been very interested in bolder equal bands of color. I am working (an unrelated project not connected to this college series) on a multi-color design now for a client that will be very bright and cheerful.

An MIT tie could be a stroke of genius, then again it might not.. (smiling). I shall have to ponder the matter.

I did some research on the Penn colors, please note the flag discussion:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] University of Pennsylvania[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]History of Penn Colors[/FONT]
redblue18890315x250.jpg

"The Red and the Blue"
Vol. I, No. 2 published March 15, 1889
"When were the Red and Blue first used as Penn's colors?
Francis James Dallett, then the University Archivist, answered this question in the Daily Pennsylvanian of 23 November 1983:

"The earliest known representation of the combined Penn colors, red and blue, is as reported: on the incised letters of the lid of the 1871 College Hall cornerstone. I am unable to trace the use of either color as having any prior use on any document or artifact which would indicate any special significance to the institution; of course, the two colors do reflect the colors of the national flag. The whole business of assigned institutional colors is a 19th century phenomenon, perhaps with roots in the Romantic Age in the commercial vein of the 'assigned' tartans of the Scottish clans who had no defined plaids earlier. Eighteenth century American academic institutions simply did not have colors."​
Exactly which shades of red and blue are those of the University?
The University has used different shades of red and blue at different times over the past century. Hopefully the University has been faithful to a resolution adopted by the Trustees on 17 May 1910:

"The colors shall be red and blue,...The colors shall conform to the present standards used by the United States Government in its flags."​
In the nineteenth century there were no official standards for the colors of the United States flag. The federal government and private manufacturers did not follow the same color guidelines, and private manufacturers in particular tended to use whatever shades of red and blue cloth that were available.
Later the garment industry developed the first precise color standards and presented them as the Standard Color Card of America. When the first government standards were established for the flag in the 1930s, the specified shade of blue, "national flag blue," was the same blue-black in common use for police uniforms. In the 1960's the shades of the flag colors were officially designated as "Old Glory" red and "Old Glory" blue. These colors are not designated by law, but are listed in the GSA technical specifications for manufacturers.
Today the Standard Color Card of America standards have been superseded by the Panatone Matching System (PMS). According to the PMS system, the PMS number for national flag blue is 282, while the current flag colors are PMS color blue 281 and PMS color red 193.
A darker "burgundy" red and a dark blue were adopted many years ago as competition colors by Penn Athletics and these colors have long been preferred by Development and Alumni Relations. About 1986, PMS red 201 and PMS blue 288 were established as the specification for all official University printed material; these are the standards Facilities Services uses when selecting paint colors."

Here's what the Penn tie looks like today.http://upenn.bkstore.com/images/imag...oduct_id=26671

Mine is from the mid eighties and I still wear it. It is a traditional repp weave, not what is shown in this picture. I love the fact that the tag on the back says The Bookstore.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Hello Nantucket Red,

We only have the Longhorn today. The college colors tie series is a new project that was sparked by an interest in the Longhorn tie.

We have had a request for a Columbia tie in light blue and white with equal 3/4" inch wide stripes. What do you think about that stripe pattern?

I lived in Mitaka on the west side of Tokyo for 5 years where do you live?

It sounds perfect and much better than any Columbia-branded thing available.

I'm in Shinkawa (Chuo-ku), which is between Ginza and Akihabara (Hatchobori on the Hibiya line).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads