1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Help building a SPECIFIC Wardrobe request - Help is appreciated

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Magician Shaun, Dec 11, 2013.

1. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Well-Known Member

^^^ Or a few different velvet sport jackets, with dark trousers, same shirt and tie combos.

1 person likes this.
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

3. gringodaddy

^^Same concept though I think technically smoking jackets have particular features to them (shawl collar and belts as opposed to buttons?) that make them appear more archaic and costumy. Velvet is pretty well established as evening wear, picks up light well, will not be confused with office wear, and there are plenty of options at various price-points.

1 person likes this.
  4. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Well-Known Member

Does the color of your suits figure into any slight of hand activities? Do you need to blend in with background to take visual focus off your body?
    If it does and you work primarily in front of black backdrop then black suit may be important.
    I agree that the grey suit and striped tie looks nice but is more CBD style and is not what I think is a memorable outfit lending itself to branding you to your clients.

5. Magician Shaun

Magician Shaun Well-Known Member

The wardrobe doesn't have any functional properties. Black is actually bad for certain types of effects, think floating objects.

I also agree that the suit is kind of basic and business like. I wanted a couple of more conservative options in the wardrobe as I feel they will be appreciated by a certain clientele that have events with a business like dress code. Performing for corporate events during business hours comes to mind. Like annual company meetings where I am hired to relieve some of the monotony and help keep people from falling asleep.

I definitely plan to look for some older styled tail coats for performance formal wear. I currently don't do a traditional stage show. Most of my magic is known as close-up, parlor, and stand up. I am also unfortunately not an illusionist.

I like the idea of of blue peak lapel suits and the velvet blazer idea is nice as well. Those will certainly help to give my character a bit of definition.

Does anyone have any other recommendations on hats? I actually do some effects that use hats/ I don't actually pull bunnies out of them or anything but there is one trick where I pull a cantaloupe out of it. I would like something that bridges the gap between costumey top hat and a Sinatra lid.

These ideas are great and I thank you. When I find a nice Velvet jacket that I like I will be sure to post some photos.

6. ridethecliche

I'd be more likely to fall asleep if I thought the hired magician was 'Fred' from Accounting wearing his work clothes because he didn't have time to change vs someone assuming a character.

Do you ever do events where you just walk around doing tricks for people in the crowd? I think that would be pretty hilarious if you're just wandering around as part of the crowd as opposed to being the center stage. Performance art if you will.

7. Magician Shaun

Actually yes. It is a style of magical entertainment called strolling magic.I mingle, introduce myself, perform for around 5 minutes, excuse myself, and then repeat it with another group. It's quite popular for social events and it's fun for me too!

8. ridethecliche

I would wear a business outfit for that but wear something much more fun for a stage performance.

9. Magician Shaun

Yes so my wardrobe needs are somewhat varied and based on the venue. I don't want be shopping before a show so I am trying to put a few things together for various situations.

Here is my 4-in-hand knot
    [​IMG]
    Is that acceptable?

I suppose I need to learn a half windsor and a Pratt as well.

10. Magician Shaun

I picked up this Ermenegildo Zegna 95% Wool 5% Cashmere sport coat at Marshalls. It was miss priced, in my size, and I loved the color and feel of it. It is currently at the tailor and the sleeves are being finished. The guy charged almost the same to finish the sleeves working buttons as non-working buttons including the slight shortening of the sleeves so I went with functioning sleeve buttons. I figured why not seeing as how I paid $29.00 for the jacket. So with tailoring the cost will be $109. Amazing deal.

[​IMG]

I know the tie and shirt are too much, I was just putting it on for the photo. What color is this?

How should I pair this with shirt tie? Obviously the stripes are just too much, Should it be a solid shirt and large patterned tie? I am not too familiar with mixing jacket, shirt, and tie patterns and what is and isn't OK. Advice is appreciated.

11. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

In general, a solid navy knit tie with a solid blue shirt or a black knit tie with a solid white shirt will pair with your jacket. If that's not the case, your jacket is probably too flamboyant to really match anything.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  12. Magician Shaun

Thanks. This thread is more about putting together a wardrobe that represents my branding as a magician. However that jacket was just so awesome I had to share it. I can see it pairing with a nice navy tie and white shirt.

I think a light lavender shirt would also work.

I do want to come up with some more shirt/tie combinations that match my branding colors and are "lively."

My logo is:
    [​IMG]

Since computer screens change colors, the background is navy and there is purple smoke and a purple hat band on a top hat. When people see my business card after having seen my show I want it to remind them of me during the show. To this end I am trying to wear ties, shirts, and pocket squares that are mostly these colors.

I would like to find a way to wear this jacket and make it work with some purple.

13. gringodaddy

Isn't there a bit of purple in the jacket shaun? Regardless, light blue solid shirt, solid navy tie with s bit of texture. Dark purple solid tie if you feel you must

14. Magician Shaun

If I am wearing the jacket for myself and not for anything work related, then I have no need for purple at all outside of actually becoming fond of it from wearing it all the time when performing.

Another subject. I have a possible Black Tie Gig in a few months. I would love to have a tailcoat and top hat outfit for this. Something older and really nice would be great. It is a wedding and "Paris" themed." They are wanting a "street" performer wearing formal wear during their cocktail hour. Any suggestions on where to look? I would prefer to find something of good quality and at thrift prices...

15. ridethecliche

I think those are going to be hard to find at thrift prices unless you thrift it yourself because there's a relatively high demand for that sort of thing, especially if it's vintage. That's the thing with classic pieces... they're never out of style so people can usually sell them for a decent chunk of change.

16. Magician Shaun

As it's a business expense I am not opposed to buying them at above thrift prices. I would love too though.

17. ridethecliche

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
    You should follow spoo's auctions on ebay. He gets tons of awesome stuff and might get one of those at some point in your size.

18. Magician Shaun

I am having professional head shots done for my promotional materials in a couple of weeks.

I want to look my best. I will post several pictures of me in various suits I have acquired and I would appreciate opinions on which look best and changes to look better.