1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Hearing Loss After a Concert - How Long?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by VMan, Jul 2, 2006.

1. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

I went to a punk show last night and, well, it was a punk show - loud and rowdy. I've been to plenty of shows before but never had a problem.

The show started at about 11pm last night, and my hearing is still affected almost 24 hours later.

Right after the show I would say that I had only 1/3 of my normal hearing (judging from the volume setting in the car on the way home - I had to crank it up a lot higher than usual). My ears were also ringing horribly. When I tried to make a phone call after the show, I couldn't hear the person on the other end.

I'd say that I have about 2/3 my normal hearing capacity as of posting this, but my ears are still ringing badly and I have a bad headache.

Is this normal?

2. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

I had a bad case of this after *I think* a Fear Factory concert. Took about a week for the ringing to subside [​IMG]

3. sparx

sparx New Member

I've been to a fair share of loud concerts--I'd say you'll be noticeably better come tomorrow morning.

4. stach

stach Well-Known Member

If your ears are ringing it's a sign of damage. Your hearing may come back but your hearing capacity will probably be diminished. I hope I don't sound too much like a parent here but it might be a good idea to get your hearing checked.

5. Yudi

Yudi Member

I wouldn't be too worried about it. I've had ringing for a couple days after concerts a bunch of times and it's never had any long term effects. Give it another 24 hours and it should be just about back to normal.

6. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

I would moniter your hearing and wear earplugs from now on. It's no fun having hearing damage with ringing that doesn't stop. Also, the headaches and throwing up that accompany long term hearing loss aren't fun either.

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

yep, I also have had my fair share of ear ringing the next day after a loud gig. You'll be back to normal in no time, if not already.

8. tommib

tommib Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're hearing will go back to normal, I've had that before.

Although what I would recommend is that you don't turn up your stereo/ tv/ ipod etc. to compensate for your temporary hearing loss, because although you can't hear as much, the loud noise still damages your ears in the same way.

9. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

It's pretty much back to normal. I still have some inner ear pressure/pain, and some ringing.

10. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Wear earplugs the next time, but damage has been caused even if the ringing's subsided. Your high frequency hearing definitey has been diminished: there are small hairs of varying lengths proportional to the wavelength of sound at various frequencies in your inner ear. Sound vibrates these hairs which convert the sound to electrical impulses which are sent to your brain. The smallest and most fragile hairs are used for high frequency hearing. Sustained loud sounds basically destroy the smaller hairs very quickly causing high frequency hearing loss.

Maybe if stem cell research is successful, you could regenerate these hairs, as has been done in mice.

--Andre

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Maybe if stem cell research is successful, you could regenerate these hairs, as has been done in mice.

--Andre

That's blasphemy! I'm telling the President on you!

Jon.

12. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

That's blasphemy! I'm telling the President on you!

Jon.

[​IMG]

13. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

This happened to me at a Crystal Method show. It was so loud is was distracting.

It was bad but was okay in a couple days I guess (it was a number of years back). But between those shows and the car stereo and headphones, my hearing is not in great shape.

bob

14. stach

stach Well-Known Member

Best to try to avoid getting to the hearing aid point. That makes you look older very fast. [​IMG]

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

This happened to me at a Crystal Method show. It was so loud is was distracting.

It was bad but was okay in a couple days I guess (it was a number of years back). But between those shows and the car stereo and headphones, my hearing is not in great shape.

bob

Seriously: earplugs.

Jon.

16. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

People in the audio industry have noticed that many more young people have damaged hearing than a decade or two ago. Some of these people develop audio codecs like MP3 and AAC, and part of finding and screening test subjects involves a hearing test, and it's getting difficult to find people without some amount of hearing damage already --- they're finding 20 year olds with hearing losses you'd normally see in 50 or 60 year olds.

--Andre

17. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

I'm one of the nerds that puts cotton or a little tissue in my ears for shows. It does the trick. No ringing, and the shows are so loud, its not like your missing anything.

18. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Cotton won't work as well as earplugs, because they don't block out as wide a range of frequencies or as much sound, but I suppose it's better than nothing. Earplugs are cheap easy to find at your local drug store and they don't look as nerdy! Or if you want to get fancy, you can try the hi-fi ear plugs from Etymotic:

http://www.etymotic.com/

I have both, and prefer the comfort and ease-of-use of the disposable ones (the flesh-colored ones that are deformable --- they have a pretty garish purple and yellow logo, but I can't remember their name). I use them on plane flights too, and I think I arrive more relaxed and refreshed than without them.

--Andre

19. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I have the Etymotic ER-20's. They're small, preserve sound quality very well, and are only $12.

20. denning

denning Well-Known Member

One of my best friends went to a concert and suffered permanent hearing damage as a result. It wasn't even supposed to be a loud or raucous concert either. Always, always, always wear earplugs when going to a concert.