1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Headphones

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by SGladwell, Apr 18, 2006.

1. montyharding

montyharding Well-Known Member

Senn sells all the parts you need to refurb a pair of HD650's. But my question is, why are they already on their way out? Even with abuse that included a copious amount of inter-continental travel my HD580s lasted a year before needing serious work.

Three words: Office Chair Legs. And in fact, my own legs as well.

I use the Senn in my workroom, and so far the phone-hungry chairs have claimed a limited number of ATH-W5000 / K701 / HD650's.

Something like an HD25-1 would definitely be a better option to survive multiple chair maulings, but I can't stand the more durable, closed, DJ-style phones for any longer than an hour or so.

Obviously with the HD800 given the single-unit replacement cost I'd be looking to install some sort of headphone cable conduit or something. But I wouldn't entirely rule out another chairing.

So true. It is amazing how many audiophiles who write prose like the above articles *are* deaf. But the biggest problem I have with these guys is that there's absolutely no consistency. It really is down to how they're feeling that day, how pretty / appealing the gear is, and how much it is / or has cost to mod.

I look at flagship audio as functional furniture which I can enjoy - and I do enjoy it... the new toy phase, the 7-month-itch, etc - but I'm under no illusions as to how little a genuine improvement most of the stuff I have is over things which are in the very low thousands, if not the hundreds.

2. Sprezzatura2010

Sprezzatura2010 Well-Known Member

Three words: Office Chair Legs. And in fact, my own legs as well.

So, what'cha break? Senn sells OEM cords, even earcups and headbands. And the prices are reasonable. I'd go that route before ditching the 650s.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/service...rt_part-finder

I look at flagship audio as functional furniture which I can enjoy - and I do enjoy it... the new toy phase, the 7-month-itch, etc - but I'm under no illusions as to how little a genuine improvement most of the stuff I have is over things which are in the very low thousands, if not the hundreds.

That is the only reasonable way to justify "hi end" audio (outside of speakers), with the caveat that much of the extreme boutique stuff performs far worse than mass-market audio gear.

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

That is the only reasonable way to justify "hi end" audio (outside of speakers), with the caveat that much of the extreme boutique stuff performs far worse than mass-market audio gear.

[​IMG]

4. montyharding

montyharding Well-Known Member

So, what'cha break? Senn sells OEM cords, even earcups and headbands. And the prices are reasonable. I'd go that route before ditching the 650s.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/service...rt_part-finder

I'm aware of spare parts availability. In addition to the attendant actual problems, it's looking a little worse for wear. I'm not really into repairing these myself so I'd send it into Sennheiser and in that case, it'll be a notable portion of the cost of the phones.

Even now, sometimes it will refuse to play ball with cutouts - and the problem is beyond the plug - so it is ripe for replacement. When that happens, although I have been known to heave the system from the living room I usually whip out the Triport On-Ears as a substitute since it's the only other portable phone I have that I can physically stand to wear for more than an hour and still hear phone rings, etc. And although high-end Grado owners may recognise more than a hint of their phone in the Bose (well - if I blindfolded them, backed off the bass somewhat and told them it cost $1500 [​IMG]), it's aurally somewhat excruciating for me even with heavy bass-reduction EQ.

5. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Well-Known Member

not an audiophile disclaimer<-

Shopped w/ the SO for some new inner ear headphones that actually fit.

ended up getting a pair of Victor-JVC HP-FXC50's on the recommendation of the SA.

6. heisenberg

heisenberg Active Member

Cheap and good in-ear mp3 player headphones - Sennheiser CX300-B.

I went through a few pairs of the Sony MDR-EX71s. They kept falling apart on me - one headphone would die, or the plastic around them would fall off. I finally wised up and got a better product.