1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Headed to Montreal

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by odoreater, Sep 15, 2008.

1. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Well-Known Member

I used to stay at the Queen Elizebeth, which was a pretty nice, old fashioned hotel. I liked it

I would also recomend Biddles jazz club. hear jazz, eat ribs, what could be bad?

The Queen Elizabeth is a nice hotel in a good location, but I found the standard rooms quite small. I've only stayed at a few hotels in Montreal, but the Hilton has been my favourite. It shows its age a little now, but is also in a good location, has gigantic rooms, and a beautiful (heated) rooftop pool.

Montreal is a fantastic city for foodies and there are lots of great recommendations already on here. I will say that I've never had great sushi there, though.

Restaurant l'AcadÃ[​IMG]mie on St. Denis at Duluth is a great example of (usually) very good food at absurdly affordable prices. Most times I've been there it's been excellent, although the quality varies according to the staff when you're there since the restaurant is part of a culinary school. Don't forget to bring your own wine! (And don't fear the long queues; they don't take reservations, but things move along quickly.)

2. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

I will be staying at the Hotel InterContinental. Anyone know anything about this place?

3. Fabienne

Fabienne Well-Known Member

+1 on L'express sur St-Denis.
    For good mussels and Belgian beer: au Petit Moulinsart dans le vieux MontrÃ[​IMG]al
    Le restaurant Cocagne sur St-Denis

4. Histrion

Histrion Well-Known Member

I will be staying at the Hotel InterContinental. Anyone know anything about this place?

It is a nice hotel as far as I know. I've been to a meeting there a few years ago. Its located on Saint-Antoine in the Financial District so that will put you right beside Vieux-MontrÃ[​IMG]al. If you intend on taking the subway then you'll be be in a good location for that. I'm not an expert of the financial district though. All I know is that I once went into some sort of lounge there and it was a total rip off.

5. premo

premo Well-Known Member

6. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Well-Known Member

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I've stayed there and it's a pretty generic hotel. If you have a choice I'd go with a boutique hotel that has some character. The W is cool. Hotel St-Paul is cool. The Vogue is cool. There are tons of nice boutique hotels in Montreal depending on how much you want to spend.

8. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Well-Known Member

Montreal is so overrated, IMO.

9. odoreater

Overrated compared to what? I thought it was pretty nice, had a good time.

10. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Well-Known Member

Montreal is so overrated, IMO.

Lies.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I'm adding another recommendation for L'Epicier. Had a really nice dinner there - very inventive without being silly molecular stuff.

12. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Well-Known Member

Overrated compared to what? I thought it was pretty nice, had a good time.

I find Toronto has more to offer than MTL.

13. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

For visiting, maybe... I think you get better quality of life in montreal though. There's more than enough good restaurants. The opera is decent and the symphony is good. Living is cheap and the commute is a breeze if you're smart and forgo driving.. There's two great markets that are easy to get to, pretty good shopping, and it's compact, so it doesn't take any tmie to get from point A to point B. I do like Toronto, but it sucks needing a car for everything.

14. odoreater

Really? I always thought Toronto would be just like another American city, whereas Montreal is more unique. I mean, I live 15 minutes outside of NYC, so for a city to be interesting to me, there has to be something unique about. I don't care for visiting cities that are just watered-down NYCs.

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Really? I always thought Toronto would be just like another American city, whereas Montreal is more unique. I mean, I live 15 minutes outside of NYC, so for a city to be interesting to me, there has to be something unique about. I don't care for visiting cities that are just watered-down NYCs.

Quebec city would be more different from NYC than montreal. Aside from Old Montreal, I'm not sure what a tourist goes to see here. The downtown core is like any other city except that it's compact and you can walk everywhere.

16. odoreater

Quebec city would be more different from NYC than montreal. Aside from Old Montreal, I'm not sure what a tourist goes to see here. The downtown core is like any other city except that it's compact and you can walk everywhere.

Yeah, we spent most of our time in the Old City and in the area of St. Denis street.
    Both of those areas are very different from what you see in NYC. We spent very little time in the downtown section.

17. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Oh you're already back? Did you go to Au pied de cochon? I personally think food is the best reason to visit the city. It's a great food city.

18. odoreater

Oh you're already back? Did you go to Au pied de cochon? I personally think food is the best reason to visit the city. It's a great food city.

Nah, we didn't have as much time as we thought we would to be picky about eating places. We had crepes for lunch one day at what's supposed to be one of the best crepe place (La Treskill I think it was called). Then we had dinner one night at a place called "Le Grill" in the old city. We ate at a few other places where the food was generally pretty good (although, admittedly, I don't have the most discerning tastes and given that I diet pretty strictly most of the time, pretty much anything that isn't turkey with honey mustard tastes good to me).

We tried to go to L'Avenue a few times, since I hear it has the best breakfast food in all of North America, but the line was always so long that we didn't go.

One day we rented bicyles and rode around the entire city and that was pretty cool. We went to the park where there was some kind of impromptu drumming/weed smoking session going on, which I enjoyed.

All in all, it was a nice trip. Would visit Montreal again.

19. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Well-Known Member

20. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

My wife is entertaining an offer to move to Montreal, which doesn't thrill me as I'll have to commute between the city and NY. However, for better or worse.

Where to live? Looking for an hip area with neighbourhood amenities.

Plateau?
    Outremont?
    Westmount?

Haven't been there in a while, but I think that Old Montreal may be too toursty.

Thanks,

lefty