1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

He got fired because he was better dressed than the Boss?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Young Gentleman, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Derekweb

Derekweb Member

Many years ago I took a business trip to Silicone Valley. In the lobby, I met my colleague to leave for our appointment. She was a new VP just hired recently. She had a brief case. I had a leather folder. She immediately turned around, went upstairs, and left her briefcase in her room. She did not want to look like my secretary, as I was a Director and she was a VP. I got the message. Next time I brought a brief case. Why get her angry?

Your friend should learn more quickly!

2. viator

viator Well-Known Member

That is crazy of her.

3. Nereis

Nereis Well-Known Member

I believe the term may be 'anal retentive'.

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

not at all.

being in a meeting with customers can be a complex issue, and I can understand, and respect, the desire to control all aspects of it.

5. viator

viator Well-Known Member

I could - theoretically - imagine a scenario where the boss tells the underling to go get a briefcase, so as to reinforce the impression that the client has people of substance working for him/her/it, and that work requires lots of files. I can't imagine a scenario where the simple carrying of a briefcase by a superior somehow creates an unfavorable impression with a client. It's crazy.

6. globetrotter

the boss in the above story didn't ask the subordinate to get a briefcase, she left her briefcase in the room - typically, a situation where one person is carrying a folder and one a breifcase, the bigger bag signifies the lower rank. in the case of a woman and a man, I can understand the sensitivity of the woman.

I deal with big ticket capital sales. frankly, I try to control every aspect of the meeting as best I can, to make sure things happen the way I want them to, and to cut down on distractions. I very seldon have commented to subordinates on their dress, but I have a few times. I have had a subordinate ask me to change my hair for a meeting, because he thought it would be distracting (I have curly hair, and he was worried people would spend time talking about it in an arab country) and I found that a reasonable request.

7. viator

viator Well-Known Member

Understood.
    I hear you but I guess what I'm saying is, it seems a bit much to worry that by carrying a larger bag you'll be viewed as the subordinate. Many many other clues should signify who is where in the pecking order. Of course, if you're talking about one person carrying a banker's box and one person with a manila folder, you might have a point. But leather folder v. leather briefcase? I don't get it.

8. Gerry

Gerry Well-Known Member

I think the boss should have been more secure in the fact that HE was the boss and thats really all that matters. Some companies, especially where the employees meet customers and so represent the company pay their employees a clothing allowance just so they can dress well, maybe that guy should have been praised by his boss on his dress sense.

9. globetrotter

no - some companies pay some customer facing people a clothing allowence so that those people can dress in accordance with the strategy of the company and allow the company to close more business. it has nothing to do with dressing "well". if somebody is acting like a loose cannon, and his manager feels that it is not following company strategy, then the company is right to stop that activity. wearing aligator double monks to a meeting might be dressing "well" but it is a distraction and it sends messages that may be very differnt from what the team leader wants to send.

10. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Well-Known Member

A friend of mine attended an informal get-together with his co-workers, including the CEO of the company. This being Finland, sauna was a natural component of the meeting. My friend is pretty well-hung while his boss happened to be hung like a cashew. Next week my friend got sacked. Now he's contemplating a lawsuit.

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

12. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Similar to globe, I think there is more to the story.

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

For heaven's sake, JayJay, just hire the guy back and be done with it.

14. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Crap. Now I'm all confused about what to wear when I go down to pick up my reparations check :confused:

15. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

The answer to 1984 is 1776.

16. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Were the boss's requests placed in writing? If not, quite possibly your friend has good grounds for claiming wrongful dismissal. Although this probably depends on the country your friend is in.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  17. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

18. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

I've heard that the justice of the Mongolian horde is ruthless and cruel, and sorta inconsistent.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  19. mason

mason Well-Known Member

how can you even work in a dump like that - you're better dressed than theboss??

20. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member