• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you?

tj100

Reaction score
I have a "job interview uniform" that consists of a Jos. A. Bank suit, Cole Haan captoe, and a plain white shirt.

A recruiter that I was working with a few years ago mentioned that my suits looked too expensive for me to be taken seriously as a "hard working" guy (in the trenches in finance).

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Just thought of another one. My roommate started dating this girl who is a "stylist" (immediate red flag, IMO). Anyway we were sitting on the couch the other night and I was in sweats as I had just finished working out. She went on a rant about how Marc Jacobs makes the best menswear and that she would love to pull some pieces for me because it would be a great style, etc, etc and how, obviously, judging by my current attire, I could use some tips.

I thanked her for her suggestion and then went, politely, yet in an informed manner, on a bit a tirade about the terrible quality, too-trendy styling and how he is in no way, shape or form a good fit for my style. The entire time I could tell she was completely taken off guard and at the end of it was actually quite pissed that a guy knew more about the brands that she was recommending to her clients than she did. When she asked what brands I would love to wear all the time I said Kiton and Attolini and explained why. I might as well have been speaking Chinese.

Needless to say the roommate asked why I had to be such a dick after she told him and she is "no longer a fan of mine." C'est la vie.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I told someone recently that my watch told time in London, Paris, Rome and Gstaad. He offered me $50.

hahahahahaaha!!!!

but thats a $6,000 watch! its THE sports watch of the 1980s...

well in philly, its worth FIFTY bucks.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

It's interesting the comments re: being unapproachable and looking arrogant.

Take from that what you will. I suppose your demeanour should determine whether you are approachable or not - rather than your sartorial choices...

ive gotten that for years, even before SF. the nice thing about getting married, is that you dont have to look approachable anymore...i can become even MOAR of an asshoal. :D

OTM

Reaction score
I like to reply to the question of why I am so dressed up today with my favorite Andre3000 quote:

"Some days you wake up feeling a little extra spiffy!"

or something of the sort...

Saltricks

Reaction score

I like to reply to the question of why I am so dressed up today with my favorite Andre3000 quote:

In some of my circles, that would get you cut.

OTM

Reaction score
Somehow I anticipated that reply.
It really doesn't read good.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. But who gives a flying toss? If you're going against the grain of current sloppy clothing, you have to know that you're going to get **** from other for it.

It's interesting, I'd never think to openly mock someone who's obviously poorly dressed; yet many deride those who dress "well". It just comes with the territory.

i wish I had a dollar for everytime I've been called Clark Kent, Superman, Peter Parker, Spiderman, etc., by some random person on the street.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

See? Same thing in this thread as well. Of course, when I posted it in "conservative business dress an Experiment", I was unaware that Manton actually HAD written a book on the subject.

Went over like a lead ballon.... Twice. :slayer:

In Manton's book you have to figure out how to read his voice to understand when he's being arch and when he's being serious.

On my work side, every single thing about SF is detrimental. Like tj100's interview suit, I have my "science uniform": faded old somet jeans,
blue OCBD shirts, suede alden boots. I wear it whenever I'm in a group of 50 or more of my colleagues.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In my single days, I remember one night at a lounge this smoking hot girl came up to me and said "I like your suit", to which I said, "It's actually a sportcoat". Needless to say, I went home alone that night.

Any funny stories where your SF influenced dress, manner, attitude has let you down?

lol!

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other day I saw a man enter the restroom, I followed him in there. He was taking a leak, I stood next to him, I looked over and said "Nice Suit". I never saw a guy leave so quickly.

Another time, I was at a bar. A hot chick came up to me to compliment my suit, I said to her "whats underneath this suit is even more impressive". Within 10 minutes, we were passionately making out in my car. I later paid her $200 for services rendered.

EDIT
if you guessed this was BS, you were right :laugh:

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's interesting the comments re: being unapproachable and looking arrogant.

A few girls at work actually said once that out of two identically attractive guys - they would prefer the one who is well dressed but would only approach the one who was dressed down...

Take from that what you will. I suppose your demeanour should determine whether you are approachable or not - rather than your sartorial choices...

This problem can be solved by approaching girls yourself and/or smiling at them.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If it's a lady asking, I usually go with, "because I thought I might see you today"

jobro

Reaction score

The other day I saw a man enter the restroom, I followed him in there. He was taking a leak, I stood next to him, I looked over and said "Nice Suit". I never saw a guy leave so quickly.

Seems like SF wasn't such a detriment to you. I don't want to know what you were saying to random strangers in restrooms in your pre-SF days.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads