1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Saltricks, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Saltricks

Saltricks Well-Known Member

In some of my circles, that would get you cut.

2 people like this.
  2. OTM

OTM Well-Known Member

Somehow I anticipated that reply.
    It really doesn't read good.

3. luftvier

luftvier Well-Known Member

Yes. But who gives a flying toss? If you're going against the grain of current sloppy clothing, you have to know that you're going to get shit from other for it.

It's interesting, I'd never think to openly mock someone who's obviously poorly dressed; yet many deride those who dress "well". It just comes with the territory.

i wish I had a dollar for everytime I've been called Clark Kent, Superman, Peter Parker, Spiderman, etc., by some random person on the street.

2 people like this.
  4. james_timothy

james_timothy Well-Known Member

Went over like a lead ballon.... Twice. :slayer:

In Manton's book you have to figure out how to read his voice to understand when he's being arch and when he's being serious.

On my work side, every single thing about SF is detrimental. Like tj100's interview suit, I have my "science uniform": faded old somet jeans,
    blue OCBD shirts, suede alden boots. I wear it whenever I'm in a group of 50 or more of my colleagues.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

lol!

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

People at work constantly ask me if I have an interview that afternoon...

2 people like this.
  7. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

The other day I saw a man enter the restroom, I followed him in there. He was taking a leak, I stood next to him, I looked over and said "Nice Suit". I never saw a guy leave so quickly.

Another time, I was at a bar. A hot chick came up to me to compliment my suit, I said to her "whats underneath this suit is even more impressive". Within 10 minutes, we were passionately making out in my car. I later paid her $200 for services rendered.

EDIT
    if you guessed this was BS, you were right :laugh:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    2 people like this.
  8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

This problem can be solved by approaching girls yourself and/or smiling at them.

1 person likes this.
  9. unbelragazzo

If it's a lady asking, I usually go with, "because I thought I might see you today"

10. jobro

jobro Well-Known Member

Seems like SF wasn't such a detriment to you. I don't want to know what you were saying to random strangers in restrooms in your pre-SF days.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  11. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

I've never found style to be a problem - on the contrary, I get into all kinds of interesting conversations about clothes and fabrics etc. with women and men. But then I don't think I have an 'SF mentality' or know what that is yet, I just like clothes and I have a sense of style, which is certainly noticed and this has never seemed to be in a negative way (so far).

12. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Well-Known Member

Of course. I'm just giving you a glimpse into the female psyche of my co-workers...

13. VelvetGreen

VelvetGreen Well-Known Member

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary...come again?

14. FlyingMonkey

Quote:
    You never have conversations about clothes with people IRL? No-one's ever asked you about things you were wearing or vice-versa, and you've ended up talking to them about all kinds of other stuff? Maybe it's just me then...

15. unbelragazzo

No, it happens to me too - but I think you want to do this when you already have a friendship with somebody, not as a way to get to know someone. I don't want to have "clothes friends", or be "that guy that knows/cares a bunch about clothes". Also because inevitably discussions of expenditures, etc., gets involved, and it's rarely ideal to be talking money with relative strangers.

1 person likes this.
  16. FlyingMonkey

Quote:
    I guess if you are holding back from talking to people because you are worried that the conversation might turn to money, then you just aren't going to get into conversations with many people. I don't worry about it. In my case, if cost ever comes up, I just tell people I get most of my stuff in sales and second-hand (which also happens to be true). But then I am the kind of person who does talk to strangers. I get into conversations with people on planes, trains and in shops and bars, all the time.

17. luftvier

luftvier Well-Known Member

That was a transparent piss take.

:rimshot:

18. unbelragazzo

Not really? It's just talking about clothes, people ask you what you buy, and you can say you got it on sale or second hand, which is mostly what I do too, but it's still way more than what most people would consider reasonable for clothes. I'm not saying that if somebody really wants to talk about clothes I'm going to avoid them, but if somebody says, "nice jacket, where'd you get that?" I'll probably just say, "thanks, I'm glad you like it - I got it at this store in San Diego" and then turn the convo to something else rather than launch into a monologue about the jacket. Not saying you do that - but generally I just try to accept such a compliment graciously and move on rather than trying to get into a conversation about clothing.

1 person likes this.
  19. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

+1. Prime example was the other night at a bar some dude goes "Awesome jacket, where can I get one?" To which I replied Brunello Cucinelli and he immediately was confused and replied "Wow, well I didn't realize it was some fancy shit." Not even like he knows BC but just an Italian name is enough to scare off/draw judgement from the uniformed.

20. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

I bet you were in philly, eh?