1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Have you been caught red by your partner buying expensive items without telling her?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lasbar, Jan 21, 2010.

1. philosophe

philosophe Well-Known Member

life is peaceful because we each get a share of the discretionary fund. i also have been known to give up my share (or the proceeds of a B&S sale) to feed her Hermes habit so those do earn me brownie points.

This is a great strategy. My most expensive secret purchase was not for myself.

2. furo

furo Well-Known Member

i also have been known to give up my share (or the proceeds of a B&S sale) to feed her Hermes habit so those do earn me brownie points.

How'd that go anyways? Did you get that bag yet?

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

I have just been caught by my wife making an appointment with Huntsman for bespoke shirts.

haha!
    i know that feeling of being caught and it sux

this is a great thread topic. going to go home and read it later cant wait. i will add my stories as well. haha!

4. furo

furo Well-Known Member

If that works for you, that's great. But I see it as a recipe for disaster. Something just doesn't seem right about that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

I avoid coming home with new stuff, but however careful one is about smuggling the clothes (or shoes!) into the house, there comes a time when one has to WEAR the new item. Eyebrows are always raised. I usually say "oh this was such a great deal on eBay" - which is quite often true - more often it's a great deal from StyleForum but I don't go into that!

What I say is: what do you mean? I've had this for years. I can't believe you've never seen me wear this before!

6. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

How'd that go anyways? Did you get that bag yet?
    we're going to Paris in March, so we'll do it then. already bracing for the body blow [​IMG]

7. EBugatti

EBugatti Well-Known Member

After reading this thread, I can only think how far men have fallen in the world...

It could have just as easily been titled: "Do you wear the pants in your household?"
    [​IMG]

8. Simon4rings

Simon4rings Well-Known Member

I know when my wife buys clothes because of the shopping bags when I pick her up. That and I am her clothing and accessories consultant. I rarely get caught since most items get shipped to my office and I keep the package in the car till the coast is clear.

However, my 9 year old girl do ask why I keep looking at clothes on the interwebz [​IMG]

9. artoftime

artoftime Well-Known Member

In my case , the worse part of it is my guilt.

I do know she is frigging right and my behaviour is irrational.

My desire for a certain hedonistic way of life is stronger than rational thinking.

I'm 40 and acting like a petulant 20 something.

Are we a bit masochist?

+1000 - perfectly articulat'd!

10. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

I don't hide anything, and never would. My wife is always welcome to know about and ask about anything I buy. Which is not the same as saying that she does, in fact, keep tabs on every purchase.

We have a budget, and we stick to it. We each have spending money allotted--she gets more than I do, but I grow mine by thrifting and flipping. So long as I stay within those bounds, she doesn't care. And we trust each other to stay on-budget. She also trusts me a lot more with small things when she knows I'm on top of our overall financial situation and she feels secure financially.

11. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

as me and the wife have our own incomes and individual expense accounts, aside from the shared one, she does not mind where I spend my money as long as it does not affect the conjugal account.

12. rgoldstein

rgoldstein Well-Known Member

This.

However my gf is a bit of an enabler, too. We were at Drinkwater's in Cambridge and I'd purposefully steered myself away from the Paraboot collection in the past, but she spotted a pair of scotch grain bluchers that she loved. Of course I'm wearing them today . . .

My gf is also very much an enabler. While we're both young and our budgets are tight, we love shopping together. She not only understands my clothes habit, she loves it. I have a feeling she'd be a great person to be married to in that respect (as well as many other respects). She even made me ties this year for Christmas. [​IMG] And they're actually really nice. [​IMG] Not Drake's quality, no, but they look good and it makes me happy to wear them.

So I guess I'm lucky.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

We both know that once we have kids, the clothing spree will cease to exist, so we are stocking up early [​IMG]

Errm, unless you are like me, when I discovered SF just a few weeks after my daughter was born, and in 6 monthes my wardrobe increased 40% in volume after being stagnant for about 2 years.

I got nailed a few days ago getting a pair of those RL Gifford Chukkas that were recently discussed here on sale. I hid the shoe box and it was discovered.
    [​IMG] I am like a psycho racing to get home to snag the box on my porch, trash it, get the shoes out of the box, trash the box, and put the shoes with my others. Last week when it was freezing out, I just threw the shoeboxes (3) in the can without breaking them down first. She went to throw something out and saw my RLPL Narvell box on top with the original pricetag on it and was alllllll WTF [​IMG]

More of an issue is the large amount of space my wardrobe takes.

Its a little sad when friends come over and we give them a tour of the new house and they say "wait.. Mrs. Spoo, which side is yours again?" (Looking at my side triple the size of hers, organized by color, style, etc).

14. Imperator

Imperator Well-Known Member

My wife laughed knowingly when I showed her this thread. She thinks my wasteful spending is cute, thank the Lord.

15. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How is having your own money besides a shared amount 'a recipe for disaster'?

16. gazman70k

gazman70k Well-Known Member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor
    Great thread. Just remember: "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission."

OPPS! Just caught on that some one said that already. Back to plotting for the trip to Tokyo for a Hidetak Fukaya fitting in February and topping up the slush fund for G&G's HK visit.

17. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

Are we a bit masochist?
    i dunno, but how did you pass through the croc shoes for..., uhmm err, five grant?

18. jdldore

jdldore Well-Known Member

Had a suit made by an Italian tailor, got caught, and got into a lot of trouble. My devout wife was actually angrier that I did it on YK than she was about the amount I spent. Now I have to check in with her before spending over a specific dollar threshold. Approval:denial ratio has been 3:1. Lesson to be learned: pretend to enjoy services more.

19. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Well-Known Member

This whole thread is the reason why I am and I plan to stay single.

20. acl1

acl1 Well-Known Member

Definitely been caught one time or another, and she as another big-timer laughed it off and told me what she thought of certain pieces. Not bad. Besides, she's the one who gets a visual show.