1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Harry Rosen, Hugo Boss, and JP Tilford.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rsid77, Oct 20, 2013.

1. ssesf

ssesf New Member

I've never been able to make a somewhat fair comparison myself.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Well-Known Member

Othertravel, when does the sale start? I'm visiting my parent's tomorrow so I might check it out. Thanks.

3. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Starts Thursday and runs to Sunday. They also have Gaziano Girling for RLPL shoes at $699. Comes out to $560 after discount. I think the best deal on shoes will be the Testoni's and Zegna Coutures. The Zegnas come out to $480 (regular price 1400-1500).

I'm also excited because they now carry Armani black label dress shirts, which retail for $500. Beautiful fabric and much more conservative than TF. Also $145.

If anybody needs a proxy, I'm happy to oblige.

One more thing. If you need a tux, they have RLBL Anthony midnight navy tux in 38S. It's one of the most beautiful tuxes ive ever seen. Peak lapels, with the strong Anthony shoulder. If you need a tux in that size, jump on it.

Last but not least, Zegna mainline suits for around $500.

4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Welcome to Styleforum rsid77. Kudos to Firefox et al, for your informative responses. Well done.

5. NickInTO

NickInTO Well-Known Member

Sounds like it'll be worth checking out the GO Train schedule to get out to Mississauga.

6. Young Pro

Young Pro Well-Known Member

Sorry, just to clarify, this sale is only at the Heartland outlet location? Might be worth a trip across town on the weekend. If anyone happens to be there on Thursday, please report back with findings.

7. Frankie22

Frankie22 Well-Known Member

Geneva cut has a pretty high armhole. That's Sammy's most contemp cut. It's not Black Label high but its pretty high for Sammy.

As said, JP's house offerings are to the exact same specifications as Sammy's mainline. I asked their head of sales this question on the phone.

8. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

The discounts referred to by othertravel are for the Heartland outlet. Regular Rosen stores are also having a "private sale" starting Thursday. I don't know the specifics, but if past history is any guide, the outlet will be my first stop.

9. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Well-Known Member

If anyone is heading out there I would appreciate a heads up for a proxy. I live in midtown TO and work in downtown but simply will not be able to make it out there. Easy to meet up and do an in person exchange.

There is a specific Samuelsohn Sport Coat in the Geneva Cut I'm loooking for - it is a very large scale POW in brown and cream - I think it was Colombo cashmere if I am not mistaken.

I'd be looking for a 40R.

Send me a PM if you can help out.....

10. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

^^^ Wish I had seen your post earlier, Levoosh.

I popped up there this morning and scored a Brioni cashmere SC. [​IMG]

There wasn't a lot of Samuelsohn in my size (43 / 44) but they had one solid medium-grey wool SC that fit me exceptionally well. I probably would have grabbed it if I could figure out what the heck I would wear a solid grey SC with.

11. othertravel

I think brown or olive trousers would work with grey. With a solid navy tie (knit or grenadine).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  12. LEVOOSH

Good man Roger - it's the thought that counts! Another beneficint member of our Toronto SF community has offered to help me out so I should be ok.

Enjoy your new SC - would love to see a pic when you get a chance.

I picked up a light grey Canali cashmere and hemp K jacket last year. I think its very important for a grey jacket to have real texture to work at all.

I wear mine for more casual occasions so great with jeans but also with brown trousers as OT pointed out. If you are going to do a solid knit with it then I would recomend a bolder shirt to break up all of the solids.

13. othertravel

Also check out the Tilford shirts at the outlet. They're like $50 or something and with Thomas Mason fabrics. Check out the quality:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Thanks OT. I was thinking about brown, but I would want something in a flannel as it's a fairly heavy wool. Thanks for the heads-up that they would honour the sale a day early, as well.

I'm glad you're covered my man. I agree with you about texture. I think this one may have a fine herringbone, but there is texture of some kind to the cloth. I may go back and see what they might have in matching trousers - I don't own jeans decent enough to pair with a jacket. The fit was really good and the price hard to ignore.

Anyway, here's a crappy phone pic of the Brioni. I grabbed a pair of heavy grey flannel trousers which I needed in any event and happen to work well with the SC.

[​IMG]

15. LEVOOSH

Beautiful coat!

Who makes the trousers? Can never have too many pairs of mid-grey flannels.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  16. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Thanks. You're going to laugh, but I don't remember the trouser make. [​IMG] I had three different pairs laid out with the coat - one was a Rosen store brand and the other two I never checked the make - just picked the one that looked best. This was one of those other two.

17. LEVOOSH

A sign you shop too much is when you cannot remember what you bought :slayer:

18. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

19. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

Very nice coat. I have a friend who lives 15 minutes from there and she's heading over tomorrow to check stuff out. Will definitely be asking her if that's in a 40R.

20. othertravel

Somebody should pick up the Lattanzi for RLPL ankle boots. Something like $480 + tax.