1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Hang up the suit jacket when I get to work?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sdsurfer, May 22, 2006.

1. kdsvs

kdsvs Active Member

I'm in a pretty modern designed studio office space so no closet by me. I'm almost wondering do I need to leave a hanger at work and in my car from now on? I'll put on my jacket when I leave the office for lunch but when I get in my car I wish it was off again (I live in Southern California so it's warm all year here). Makes me almost think what's the point!

In warm weather, the jacket is decorative, not functional. If I were you, I'd probably just leave a blazer/jacket for those times when a jacket is needed (client meeting, etc.) instead of carrying it back and forth without really wearing it.

2. dressed2kill

dressed2kill Well-Known Member

When I'm at work I'm always wearing my jacket, but I'm always standing. As for dinner you just put a bib over your neck and nothing will happen to the jacket.

3. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

As for dinner you just put a bib over your neck and nothing will happen to the jacket.

Or you can just use utensils and make sure you take your bites of food over the plate. And also try to avoid food that has a tendency to roll - such as peas, meatballs, etc.

4. dressed2kill

Or you can just use utensils and make sure you take your bites of food over the plate. And also try to avoid food that has a tendency to roll - such as peas, meatballs, etc.

Common sense must be a foreign concept to me.

5. seok

seok Well-Known Member

everyone at the office i used to work in hung up their jacket at work. this was a business formal environment.

there are certain restaurants that require jackets-on.

however, i largely agree with some members' sentiments that oftentimes, rules are what the mass creates through their actions...

6. dressed2kill

Funny its in Boston. When I was In Boston the people that were wearing suits all looked like low level politicans. Not to mention their shoes were many times penny loafers or plain oxfoards. A very stylish shoes for that city. Well any city nowadays that quality would be rarely seen.

7. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

Funny its in Boston. When I was In Boston the people that were wearing suits all looked like low level politicans. Not to mention their shoes were many times penny loafers or plain oxfoards. A very stylish shoes for that city. Well any city nowadays that quality would be rarely seen.

Huh? [​IMG]

8. dressed2kill

just my personal observation.

9. Kid609

Kid609 Well-Known Member

I hang up my jacket and so should you.

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

haha well put [​IMG]

11. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

Sums up the tone of most of your posts.

12. Stuttjukken

Stuttjukken Well-Known Member

When I´m at work, I don´t wear my jacket. I wear the jacket if it´s cold, of course. I wear my waistcoat almost all the time, but not on the warmest days.

13. Eskie

Eskie Member

Actually, I keep two good hangers in my office. One for my jacket, and the second for my coat, when worn. If you are hanging up your jacket, at least make sure it's on the same quality of hanger you have at home, a wire hanger from the cleaners doesn't quite work.

As I typically have lunch at my desk, I don't wear my jacket to a restaurant. But, should I venture out for a meal, the jacket stays on. What I do find odd is that when the weather is cold, I see men keeping their coats at the table, either on an extra chair or the back of their own. There is a reason for a coat check, and not using it makes you appear either cheap, or suffering from separation anxiety.

14. Maggio

Maggio Member

Not many folks where the jackets at their desks. If you get up from your desk, however, put the jacket on. Why else would you wear a suit? I see a lot of people where a suit to the office only to leave the jacket hanging up all day until they leave for the day. Doesn't make any sense to me?