1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

handicapped people for an afternoon in Manhatten

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by globetrotter, Feb 29, 2012.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

my mom's 80th birthday is coming up. I am taking her and my siblings to Manhatton, basically for an afternoon. in the 50's and early 60's she lived and worked in manhatton (sort of mad men meets little house on the prarie meets fidler on the roof). she is pretty much imobile - she can walk a block or so, and that's about it. I wanted to take her to a few of the old haunts that she used to hang out in, but they aren't in business any more. my fucking sister keeps kosher, so that limits our eating possibilities. so here is what we were thinking:

maybe 2nd ave deli (kosher) for lunch
    visit her old college (colombia) my fucking sister thinks that she can arrange a tour of the rare books part of the library. not that exciting, but it will make my fucking sister feel like a big shot, and that is easier than her getting a job or having kidsor having her husband not be a bum or any other worthwhile pursuit, so I figure why fight it?
    a buggy ride in central park - expensive, but I believe that she said she has never done it, and it doens't involve walking
    maybe visit the old apartment she lived in on riverside drive
    maybe visit the zoo in central park, where she used to take my brother when he was a baby

any other suggestions for a handicaped person in manhaton that might be fun? or for kosher food?

thanks

2. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

Lol at "fucking sister"x3

3. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Well-Known Member

strip club
    cigar shop

4. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

Since you are on the UWS, have you considered going to Barney greengrass? Their smoked sturgeon is amazing. Not sure about the kosher requirement but given that it is an old time smoked fish place on the UWS, it might fit your bill.

5. globetrotter

cool, nothing my mother likes better than smelly fish.

keep the ideas coming, thanks !

6. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

Is halal the same thing as kosher? If so, I think coldarchon knows some spots.

7. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I have to imagine that a lot of the old school joints aren't going to be "kosher" kosher.

8. mordecai

You mean the opposite I think. They will be "kosher" not kosher.

9. shibbel

shibbel Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, GT, could you possibly lace your post with more disdain and content for your sister? I now know the wrath of GT is even handed and not reserved for those pesky Palestinians.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  10. mordecai

Columbia is synonymous with pesky Palestinians.

11. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I go to NYC all the time and never took the buggy ride until last year. My wife hasn't stopped talking about it. It is actually quite enjoyable.

12. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

We're on the same page here

13. globetrotter

hell, there are a lot of palestinians that I like a lot more than my fucking sister. as a matter of fact, one of our big arguments was over that I had set up my wedding rehersal dinnner in a palestinian resteraunt in east jerusalem (back before intadadah II) and she was concerned over the kashrut issue.

it's just one of those things - she makes any of these type of family get togethers difficult, because she can't just sit back and let the competant people run things, she wants to get in the way.

and, fuck, I possitivly love my sister when you compare her to my fucking MIL.

14. globetrotter

cool, thanks. anything else you did that was memorable?

15. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I love riding the ferry to Staten Island and back if the weather is nice. You get to see those beautiful city and water views. I think it may be one of the most under appreciated attractions in NYC. Its also good for someone with mobility issues. They get to sit and enjoy the ride.

16. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

The ferry is also a good idea. I second that..
    What month are u coming??

17. mgm9128

mgm9128 Well-Known Member

Get some mushrooms. Eat them. Then take a rickshaw ride through Central Park.

Thank me later.

18. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

this is cool, z. obviously I can't make any suggestions on what to do there, but maybe if you have the resources you can look up the old neighborhood and see if any of your mom's friends back in the day are still alive/still there and you could arrange a get together.

and regards to your fucking sister. hope she doesn't give you a hard time.

19. globetrotter

thanks ^

yeah, I've got two of her friends who may join us, they aren't the most mobile, either, so the logistics of this, carting a bunch of old people and little kids around manhattan is going to be interesting.

I would love to take them on a ferry or a cruise, have to see if that would work.

20. curzon

curzon Well-Known Member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

A few months back I took my not-fully mobile mother for a couple of weeks in China. Plenty to do and see. Wonders of the world. Amazing food. Spectacular performances. Have I failed to mention it's not a disabled-friendly place? A much too ambitious schedule that was too taxing, which I fully realized as she was about to be hit with heat stroke. I should have pared down the itinerary, planned for more breaks, longer lunches, etc. Anyway, I adjusted fire and things progressed better. For my mother seeing the Great Wall and the Forbidden City and Guilin and Shanghai was certainly memorable, but really for her spending time with my wife and me was far better. The old appreciate your time. You don't need to have so many plates spinning.

Do the cruise and any other activity that is seated for long stretches.