• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hampton's trip: Milano

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you plan to go shopping and sideseeing, you don't happen to go to the F1 race?
I'll be in Milano/Monza for a week as well.

HoratioNelson

Reaction score
Just got back from there a couple of weeks ago. Seems like everyone above has covered the place well and truly, but here are my two cents:

Rinascente shopping centre - Make sure you use the voucher for foreign tourists (10% off if you show your passport): http://www.rinascente.it/webapp/pdf/iniziativa_inglese.pdf If your native currency means that the euro is fairly weak, this only adds better value in case you do want to buy anything from the store. I'd second a drink or casual dinner on the top at the 7th floor - it's quite casual but it really is amazing being up next to the roof of the Duomo (though NB you can't use this voucher up there, but it's fair value anyway).

Someone suggested the restaurant Da Giacomo. I went there - I have to say it's pretty good; haven't seen an interior like it but the service was a tad patchy. Worth a visit though. We had another meal at Joia, which is a vegeratian restaurant but does some pretty amazing dishes. Particularly good value at lunch time. Agree that Cova is a must-do. I also really like Princi bakery (there's one about 5 minute walk form the Duomo); although there's one in London so it's not exclusive to Milan, their stuff is delicious (and good value).

Away from food/shopping, the Triennale design museum may be worth a visit if that sort of stuff interests you. I did find it mildly Italian-centric and it didn't ostensively cover much pre 20th Century, but it's still a cool place (with cafe and book shop too). I actually much prefer the castle museum (Castello). Great range of artwork and furniture pre-C20th (and much earlier).

Also, I'm sure you're street-wise, but watch out for the (harmless but annoying) African men who stand around the streets/tourist attractions who try to start talking to you and fob off bracelets from Africa for a euro or two.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you plan to go shopping and sideseeing, you don't happen to go to the F1 race?
I'll be in Milano/Monza for a week as well.
Not my cup of tea, but for the fun and experience of it that would be something nice to do. But isn't that quit expensive? When will you be there?
Just got back from there a couple of weeks ago. Seems like everyone above has covered the place well and truly, but here are my two cents:

Rinascente shopping centre - Make sure you use the voucher for foreign tourists (10% off if you show your passport): http://www.rinascente.it/webapp/pdf/iniziativa_inglese.pdf If your native currency means that the euro is fairly weak, this only adds better value in case you do want to buy anything from the store. I'd second a drink or casual dinner on the top at the 7th floor - it's quite casual but it really is amazing being up next to the roof of the Duomo (though NB you can't use this voucher up there, but it's fair value anyway).

Someone suggested the restaurant Da Giacomo. I went there - I have to say it's pretty good; haven't seen an interior like it but the service was a tad patchy. Worth a visit though. We had another meal at Joia, which is a vegeratian restaurant but does some pretty amazing dishes. Particularly good value at lunch time. Agree that Cova is a must-do. I also really like Princi bakery (there's one about 5 minute walk form the Duomo); although there's one in London so it's not exclusive to Milan, their stuff is delicious (and good value).

Away from food/shopping, the Triennale design museum may be worth a visit if that sort of stuff interests you. I did find it mildly Italian-centric and it didn't ostensively cover much pre 20th Century, but it's still a cool place (with cafe and book shop too). I actually much prefer the castle museum (Castello). Great range of artwork and furniture pre-C20th (and much earlier).

Also, I'm sure you're street-wise, but watch out for the (harmless but annoying) African men who stand around the streets/tourist attractions who try to start talking to you and fob off bracelets from Africa for a euro or two.
Wow this sounds good, thanks for the info mate. This I will do!

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not there to watch the race but rather to enjoy a few more days of summer while earning some money from working in the surroundings of the race.
Most likely will be there from 4th to 10th and sincerley hope I'll have as lovely customers as I did last year.
Now that I think of it both the gentlemen from Italy 2010 as well as the ones from the UK and Belgium in 2011 could very well be members of SF.

Last edited:

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not there to watch the race but rather to enjoy a few more days of summer while earning some money from working in the surroundings of the race.
Most likely will be there from 4th to 10th and sincerley hope I'll have as lovely customers as I did last year.
Now that I think of it both the gentlemen from Italy 2010 as well as the ones from the UK and Belgium in 2011 could very well be members of SF.
Aha sounds interesting, will check up on that.

Last edited:

hrb

Reaction score

Also, I'm sure you're street-wise, but watch out for the (harmless but annoying) African men who stand around the streets/tourist attractions who try to start talking to you and fob off bracelets from Africa for a euro or two. 

definitely this. I would buy one bracelet then flash it to any of them that asked in the future. They instantly stop hounding you once they see it. If you're rather not buy anything don't play the 'no italiano card', they speak english. essentially (and predictably) don't stop and talk, just shake your head and keep moving. I personally found the single bracelet to be a worthwhile investment.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

definitely this. I would buy one bracelet then flash it to any of them that asked in the future. They instantly stop hounding you once they see it. If you're rather not buy anything don't play the 'no italiano card', they speak english. essentially (and predictably) don't stop and talk, just shake your head and keep moving. I personally found the single bracelet to be a worthwhile investment.

You can also just completely ignore them and not waste any money on them. Do not say anything, do not look at them - and they will leave you alone.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Il Vecchio Drappiere in Via Meravigli.

Seconded. My go-to place for cloth in Milan. Guenzati's selection is smaller and much pricier, even though they do have the odd very interesting thing.

Lo Zingaro

Reaction score
Last time they had a 14-16 oz I don't remember the brand, maybe J.J. Minnis 3 ply at 130 euro meter. The suck your blood out, but they sometimes can get the hands on some crazy ultra rare pieces.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seconded. My go-to place for cloth in Milan. Guenzati's selection is smaller and much pricier, even though they do have the odd very interesting thing.
Like these kind of things, will do!

sdolina

Reaction score
Sorry to break in the thread.
I'm now in Milano, enjoying nice autumn, low season, trying to recover from the prices in the local shops.
Never ever have seen the boots for 15500 euro (Santoni). Also the sizes of the RTW pants/jackets seems to be limited, can't imagine Italians are so slim.
But have to say the choice is great, also the style is much more refined than in Germany for example.

PS very nice lantacci shop on the Gesu, can't recall if people mention it. Around hundred different shoes and boots. Prices start from 1300 euro, but the norwegese styly calf rtw was roughly 4000 euro. Damn.

Last edited:

Lo Zingaro

Reaction score

Sorry to break in the thread.
I'm now in Milano, enjoying nice autumn, low season, trying to recover from the prices in the local shops.
Never ever have seen the boots for 15500 euro (Santoni). Also the sizes of the RTW pants/jackets seems to be limited, can't imagine Italians are so slim.
But have to say the choice is great, also the style is much more refined than in Germany for example.
PS very nice lantacci shop on the Gesu, can't recall if people mention it. Around hundred different shoes and boots. Prices start from 1300 euro, but the norwegese styly calf rtw was roughly 4000 euro. Damn.

Did you visit some of the locations I mentioned before?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 Corso Como - great shop - great vibe.

Walk the Duomo roof - true it's touristy but it's truely worth the time.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads