1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Guys carrying a tote bag, ok or not?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Baby Pink, Oct 3, 2009.

1. yfyf

yfyf Well-Known Member

I have a Filson zippered tote and use it constantly. I've jammed carpenter tools in it to a bunch of fishing junk to the laptop and camera setup. It's a nice generic catchall. There's nothing ghey about it. I live in downtown Redneck City and nobody even pays attention to it other than to comment that it's a cool bag.

It's all about how you conduct yourself, nothing more.

Go for the tote. They're extremely practical, far more so than a messenger bag or a satchel. I don't like the short handled ones though, only the long handled ones you hang off your shoulder. The Filsons seem like a good choice, I use a Porter myself.

2. intent

intent Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a tote to carry textbooks. They're big and heavy. Right now I'm using a reusable bag I bought for $1. I'd like to upgrade. Probably have to accommodate 9 inches thick of books. Prefer under $100. Any tips?

3. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a tote to carry textbooks. They're big and heavy. Right now I'm using a reusable bag I bought for $1. I'd like to upgrade. Probably have to accommodate 9 inches thick of books. Prefer under $100. Any tips?

LL Bean.

4. negusnegas

negusnegas Well-Known Member

does anybody living in new york think there are just too many dudes with totes running around?

5. intent

intent Well-Known Member

LL Bean.
    Thanks, duh (being in Maine)! There're 2 outlets nearby.

6. oshinex

oshinex Well-Known Member

I actually have this bag and use it when I'm in Asia. The difference between a man's tote bag and a woman's is the handle length. If it can go over your shoulder and fit your arm through, it's a women's bag.

7. upnorth

upnorth Well-Known Member

just checking, would a bag like this look gay or otherwise inappropriate for someone over 38 years old? For business casual, since it doesn't look like an entirely manly briefcase.

[​IMG]

8. intent

intent Well-Known Member

It looks perfectly fine, like a laptop sleeve with a handle.

9. khaki sack

khaki sack Well-Known Member

I sometimes use an old LL Been tote, for when I go to the pool or the beach. I use it to carry all my stuff, such as house keys, sunglasses, book, research papers, thermos full of G&T or margarita mix, etc.

I would not bring it to the office.

10. JSC437

JSC437 Well-Known Member

Where I work... all of those really wealthy Harvard/Wharton MBA types carry tote bags to work. Kind of like those ones sold at LL Bean... but with the school logo on them.

I dont think the totes look ghey at all. If anything, they look preppy or WASPy.

11. saraanderson

saraanderson Member

I would think that if you like it enough, then there is no need to think about what others might say. It might turn out to be the next fashion statement for all you know!

12. grace2011

grace2011 Member

I would think that if you like it enough, then there is no need to think about what others might say. It might turn out to be the next fashion statement for all you know!

That's rather funny.

A 24oz canvas tote has pretty much been the bag of choice (for a very long time) for people with boats (and I'm not talking about those giant plastic things). I guess if you think the dudes who crew Americas Cup are feminine then you should probably stay away from totes.

13. El Jack

El Jack Active Member

Now now, there's nothing wrong with being gay. Anymore.

14. Daseinflaw

Daseinflaw Well-Known Member

15. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member