• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guys carrying a tote bag, ok or not?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
I would thinks it's ok, it's almost looks like a gym bag just more expensive and sophisticated.
Yes, looks like an expensive gym bag. Looks fine to me.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baby Pink
i am surprised by the comments on this forum. i would have thought members here would be more open minded

What? You're the one who is afraid to look "gay"

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just don't carry it like this:

murse1.jpg

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't you guys check the link, it comes in a "musculine palette." That makes it totally hetero. I checked UD and they said musculine is a combination of "masculine" and "muscular" (SOOOOO not gay
laugh.gif
). But yeah, OP, bag just looks fine. Either way, if you are comfortable wearing it, why not? Do you worry about your "baby pink" shirts making you look gay? For someone who registered in 2005, you haven't lurked very well.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just want to weigh in to say that I hate the term "tote" in any context, but especially on its own as a noun. And OP, if you think all the responses in this thread were serious (aside from this one) you need to lurk more.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, it's fine, though I agree with J that the word "tote" sounds dumb. "Manbag" sounds really dumb, too, as a word. Unfortunately, we only have so many words to use. Anyway,for some suggestions and lots of info, see this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=115841

Ziss

Reaction score
i am surprised by the comments on this forum. i would have thought members here would be more open minded

Perhaps you should review your original post again:

Will this bag make me look gay? Cause I'm not. I'm really really not. Look, I have a wife and kids, I can't possibly be gay, right? I'm really worried this may make me look gay. I'm afraid to even touch the bag - what if my colleagues see right through this facade I've put up? Please tell me I'm not gay.

I'd like to facepalm the entire thread, but that's just too easy.

Reaction score
I seriously thought the thread title was "Gays carrying a tote bag, ok or not?" I will have to revise my answer in light of the actual topic.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when i my wife makes me carry her tote bag when we shop i feel ****... then again those big stores in soho usually have seating in the middle ... what i like to call "boyfriend and husband seating"

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have to ask the question, you already know the answer.

Twotone

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I carry one one. I couldn't care less what other people think of it...

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mannix
I carry one one. I couldn't care less what other people think of it...

are you like a gay lumberjack or something?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i recently purchased a black leather Dunhill ADV8 tote bag. Does it look gay for a guy to carry this bag?

http://www.dunhill.com/en-es/catalog...s/adv8/l3g260a

I am 6ft tall, 200 pounds rugby guy. I am not gay. I am married with a baby. I always wanted to buy a tote as i really like the design. I carry the bag on the weekends with the strap thrown over my shoulders. I am afraid to just carry the bag in my hands as i am worried it would look like a handbag. I am afraid to carry the bag to the office as i am worried how my colleagues will take to it. What do you guys think?

The Asian contingency on the forum (ones from HK/Australia) ALL carry totes. Ask them if they feel gay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads