1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Well-Known Member

I would avoid using the bar at all costs and maybe go for the wax that you can melt and apply with a brush. I used a bar of Otter wax on my G trucker and ruined it to the point that it looks like sh*t. I basically rubbed the bar into the fabric and then used a heat gun to try and melt the wax into the fabric, but that method proved to not work so well as it left chunks of wax residue in every little crevice.

2. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I was hoping for some advice on the fit of Gustin Chinos, as I'd like to upgrade my wardrobe.

My best fitting chinos are Banana Republic Emerson fit in 30 waist. My true waist is 33, but BR run 2-3 inches larger. What do you think my best option would be with Gustin chinos?

TIA

3. JR Magat

JR Magat Well-Known Member

From the size guide (https://www.weargustin.com/fitguide?filter=chinos) you'd likely be a size 32 in Gustin chinos

4. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

Better yet, measure your current chinos and compare to the size guide.

My dimensions are similar and I wear size 32 Gustin chinos in straight fit (for my thighs)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  5. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

Thanks. My intention was not to turn this into Find Your Fit 101 type of question :) I specifically mentioned BR Emerson fit to solicit opinions on the comparability with Gustin from those that have the experience. There is 1 inch difference in rise, which can can drastically change the fit.

6. Canadianguy

Canadianguy Well-Known Member

My heavy caramel chinos arrived the other day. Just got them back from the tailor for hemming and a slight taper. Material is nice and thick as promised, with great texture, but not terribly soft. I'm happy with them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. JilSlander

JilSlander Well-Known Member

^ How'd you size, brother?

8. Canadianguy

I usually wear a 29 in j crew 770 chino. With gustin, I went for a 30 slim and it's pretty much bang on.

9. CharlesThe1337

CharlesThe1337 Well-Known Member

@Canadianguy , would you mind sharing your size in Gustin's denim fit? They look great!

Nice shell rolls too! AE Dundees?

1 person likes this.
  10. Canadianguy

@CharlesThe1337 Thanks! Yes they are Dundees, good eye. Unfortunately I can't share my denim size with you because these chinos are my first experience with Gustin.

11. pima1234

pima1234 Well-Known Member

Anyone have a Moss Slub T in L they're willing to part with?

12. Churchill W

Surprised you needed to get the slim tapered. Did you measure the hem opening before you had it tapered? Curious to know how wide it was before and what you had it tapered to.

13. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

Just a hint, broke mine out yesterday for the first one since spring. They soften a lot with some washes. I have id guess 8 washes on mine with 30, wears? Very soft now and broken in.

Enjoy them

2 people like this.
  14. Canadianguy

Yeah, they were approximately 7 1/4 inch diameter and I had them taken in to 7 inches which is the leg opening I find works best for me.

Thanks, good to know!

15. Churchill W

Got it. It doesn't look that narrow to me.

16. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

GreyxBlack (with stretch). Insanely awesome and comfortable. So many of the grey offerings from G are really on point.

[​IMG]

17. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

That was fast. Shipping confirmation on CXL briefcase just in.

Edit: Will try to get some pictures later but just examined this and I have to say that I am really impressed. For the money this is an incredible item. It's substantial, well made and well though out. This is almost definitely the most bang for the buck I've had from a Gustin item.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    2 people like this.
  18. goodwillhinton

goodwillhinton Member

Just received my briefcase as well. CXL #8. The leather appears to be excellent quality. The strap that came with it is quite thick in a good way and the zipper looks to be high quality as well. I would agree that this is an excellent value.

Here are a few photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Well-Known Member

Cool. I also ordered the CXL#8 briefcase so it should be arriving this week.

Is that an MBP 15" Retina you've got inserted in the laptop sleeve? Did they put any bits of exposed metal such as zippers, snap insides, etc. that might touch the laptop and scratch it up? It sucks when bag makers do this because it means I've got to use an internal laptop sleeve which is a PITA and consumes volume and weight. I'm not going to allow my MBP to get scratched up by the bag and that would definitely happen if any metal can contact the laptop while it's being moved and shaken around inside the bag. The interior sleeve needs to provide 100% protection from any metal contact.

First style observations based on the photo:
    - CXL#8 leather body looks great
    - straps look a bit too brown and don't quite match/blend with the CXL#8

20. goodwillhinton

goodwillhinton Member

Yep. MBP 15" Retina. I had to be a little careful inserting it because of the zipper but not too difficult. There doesn't appear to be anything else that could scratch it.

The long strap is brown like the short ones but the extra leather shoulder padding matches the bag.

1 person likes this.