1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. jazzbassmatt

jazzbassmatt New Member

Was there a sale I missed? If so, how often do they happen?

2. ninjabynight

ninjabynight Member

Sample Sale (although there were a lot of items that weren't just "Samples") on Tuesday, emails went out last Friday.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

What?? How many thousands did you have to have spent to qualify to get such an email? As I'm up to 2 and received no such notice. Kinda effed up.

:fu:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. ninjabynight

ninjabynight Member

I should have clarified:
    [​IMG]

And I don't think Josh or the team were really expecting the turn out that they received. I realize how someone not local, but that may have been visiting SF, or may have had the financial means to make it there Tuesday would have liked to have been informed of the event and of course the feeling of being "left out" sets in. Especially after you've spent several thousands of dollars and are a loyal customer!

Let me digress a bit: I always like to bounce different clothing/fashion ideas off my older brother, he's in the private sector and I'm blue collar. He's always been skeptical of Gustin and similar companies because of their business model, as far as sizing, wait times, returns etc... The roll of the dice so to speak. Anyway, I basically dragged him down there with me with the idea that he could get a feel for how Gustin's sizing was, and maybe get in on a few deals... Win win. Now, I've never waited in line with my brother to buy stuff, before a store (or office for this matter) has opened. I USED TO avidly collect Star Wars toys and attend comic conventions back in the day. I've been around THOSE GUYS/GALS. That's kind of what began to run through my mind as we walked up to the line of about 10-12 guys already at the door of the building. Seth came down and led the first group of us to the elevator. My brother and I didn't make the first elevator and Seth joked about wondering how early the first guy had lined up, and we all had a laugh. Once we got up there, front of group 2, back of the elevator, lol, it was fairly organized into various sections. Everyone was cordial and no one was pushing, shoving or grabbing things out of other people's hands. I was fortunate enough to find a spot where we could place or try on the items we wanted to buy, so it wasn't like I had to sort through the selections with my hands full of other stuff. In the back office where the denim was, a few guys did take full stacks of denim, and put them off to the side til they figured out what they wanted. I get it, my brother and I discussed it later when I brought it up over an amazing lunch at Soto Mare in North Beach, that we understood the mindset, we just didn't want to be THAT GUY.
    Lunch:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back to my observations of the Gustin team. There was food for us, Ren went and bought like two 12 packs of PBR! The team was laid back and helpful, not pushy at all. Josh's eyes went wide when my brother's total came up... It was like $1000 or a little over (medium CXL#8 L1 Leather Jacket at $400 was the most expensive item). Josh joked at my brother to make him an offer and he could have it all... And I do have no doubt that my brother could have afforded it! I honestly believe that Josh did not expect just one person to spend that much. And I don't believe he or Stephen intended to offend or disregard his customers that did not receive an email invite. Back to the OTHER END of it, yeah I could have bought a bunch of extra stuff to resell and possibly make a "profit", but I didn't. I also contemplated the old "Would you take...?" When the sale finally rang up, but I didn't. I also thought about throwing some questions at Josh and the rest of the team "Why don't you guys...?", but I didn't. I just took it for what it was worth... Time with my brother. And that is priceless.

2 people like this.
  5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Ah I see. It was a local SF event. Dig.

About Star Wars toys...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. crossfi73

crossfi73 Well-Known Member

So briefcases....

Definitely on the casual side, but for my purposes I'm thinking would make a good day to day bag for cheap.

Leaning towards the natural essex, what are everyone else's thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  7. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

Wish the Gustin logo wasn't sewed on the outside. Or at least in a different position.

Would have put it in the inside personally.

Other then that for $200 bucks and a Horween bag, looks pretty damn good!

8. bigdemon

bigdemon Member

This! Will back it right away if no logo outside or some corner maybe?

9. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

^ agreed about the logo. Vast majority of their stuff carries no obvious label on the outside, not sure why they chose a briefcase to have it.

10. derrida26

derrida26 Well-Known Member

trying to decide between the chromoexcel and the nut brown...and definitely agreed about the logo. I might try messaging them to see if they could leave it off? Or maybe I could remove it myself?

11. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

Don't love the logo but love everything else. Backed the CXL 8.

12. JR Magat

JR Magat Well-Known Member

The CXL 8 would be my pick as well, and agree about the logo (inside by the inner pockets would be ideal IMO)

Overall it looks like a nice product from Gustin at a great price

13. Bryanb55

Bryanb55 Active Member

I'm in for the CXL 8 as well and also would love to see the logo in a less conspicuous place. It won't keep me from loving the bag, but it would be preferable.

**I emailed my request to move the logo to customer service. I guess it can't hurt to let them know.

14. derrida26

derrida26 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I emailed them as well. I mean, even if they can't change anything it's something for them to keep in mind for the future

15. JilSlander

JilSlander Well-Known Member

The write-up says there are feet on the briefcases, but the pics only show patches on the bottom?

16. ninjabynight

ninjabynight Member

Re: About Star Wars toys...
    That's awesome! Start em off right, with the vintage/original stuff! Good times! You know what's up man!!! :slayer:

17. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Well-Known Member

I just backed the CXL #8 as well. It will coordinate with my beautiful #8 jacket!

I feel the same way as everyone else regarding the logo label. Keep that beautiful big face of CXL #8 on the side of the bag CLEAN. Stick the label anywhere else than there.

18. Bryanb55

Bryanb55 Active Member

I just received a nice response from Stephen Powell, co-founder of Gustin. He said the patch will not be moving from its spot in the middle, but it is only on one side of the bag. Fair enough.

19. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Well-Known Member

Typical %funded manipulation ongoing. The CXL #8 was 78% funded before I backed it. It remained 78% funded after I backed it.

Now its down to 74% funded.

I really wish they would change it to show x funded of y available. That's what we really want to see. And I think it would be better from a marketing perspective because people are affected by knowing there are only a few of something, or that there are only a few left. And then never manipulate the number funded, but if they want to increase or decrease the number available midway through the auction based on how its going, that's fine.

Transparent is good.

1 person likes this.
  20. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Quote: All kinds of things can explain what you're seeing as for as the %, but in any case I think you're over-thinking it. Yeah - they're trying to create a buzz and a bit of mystery. It certainly makes give people incentive to sign up. I'm not sure why you think "transparency" is necessary or what value you think it has. For example, very, very few store show inventory levels. While I'd guess there is a decision point that means they can say "We can make enough money even though it only funded at 87%" (I'm making up an example), I think the idea that they're manipulating sounds like a conspiracy-theorist perspective. It's a pretty simple concept - for minimal risk, they make or have stuff made using customer's already-paid money and virtually zero inventory costs which saves them all kind of money. They sell stuff at pretty decent prices as result and seem to offer good customer service. They're doing things a little different, and while they're guilty of a bit of hyperbole here and there, I've been pretty happy with them.

1 person likes this.