1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

Maybe try an anklet that goes right below the ankle?

I personally don't even have too many white socks. I have white no shows that I only really use when I wear my light colored Chucks.

I don't see the contrast between the white socks and dark shoes to be a good thing. It really highlights the white socks, which is something I don't think you want to do.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  2. Medoc

Medoc Well-Known Member

I've always thought socks necessary with sneakers to mitigate smell and keep them in best possible condition but many opt for no socks for comfort or appearance. If you're going to go the sock route with low top sneakers, there's nothing wrong with a little sock showing but it should be pretty minimal. Ankle/no-show/footie socks that hit below your ankle bones on your foot/leg. They don't have to be the kind that feel like they're falling off or bunching down the second you put them on, they can go a bit higher. Color option is up to you but something with low contract usually works well. I do see some people rocking the low tops with higher socks that hit mid calf but that doesn't look good or right in my opinion.

3. NorthCoast

NorthCoast Well-Known Member

Recently I learned that one of the primary functions of shoe trees is to wick moisture away from the interior of the shoe where leather rot/breakdown typically begins.

For that reason, I'd always wear socks, and consider shoe trees.

I've been using JC**W factory no shows and have been pondering a more expensive version, but these are pretty cheap and work well.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Churchill W

Contemplated picking up some Smartwool ones, but $14ish/pair is kind of pricey.

5. pima1234

pima1234 Well-Known Member

What happened to those cool looking striped workshirts?

6. bbconair

bbconair Well-Known Member

time to make some lanvin cap toes...when's that going to happen???

7. NorthCoast

Yeah, give them a shot, they look cool but I hear you on the price. I basically stalked Jc**W factory for sale and stocked up when they were super cheap.

I grabbed some Darn Tough no shows and they are def. not no shows.

8. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd never wear shoes without socks. i want a layer to help absorb moisture and reduce skin to leather friction that would be hard on the shoes and my feet.

But I could buy some shorter versions in a color other than white. I agree these white socks have too much contrast with the shoes.

Figures that when someone posts a rare product review with photos that he gets teased for his socks! That will teach everyone to never post photos.

I know, it was tough love. :)

9. Bryanb55

Bryanb55 Active Member

All four of the recent workshirts funded quickly. I hope that means more will be coming soon!

1 person likes this.
  10. pima1234

11. Bryanb55

Bryanb55 Active Member

Try filtering the store to Shirts - three of them are showing as Past Campaigns for me - the Japan Khaki isn't showing for some reason, but I backed it so I know it was there!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  12. pima1234

1 person likes this.
  13. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

re: sock talk, I like these ones from Uniqlo: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-pile-low-cut-socks-178360.html

They're low enough to be basically invisible under regular sneakers (you might be able to see them under slip-ons), but they offer more coverage and stay in place better relative to footies. Also, they look slightly less stupid / like ballet slippers when you take your shoes off.

They also make them in white and light grey, but they tend to sell out. I've seen them get restocked before, but sometimes Uniqlo restocks will show up under a separate product listing from the original.

14. Churchill W

Saw these at Uniqlo a few weeks ago, but actually prefer the thinner ones. Did not cop.

15. crossfi73

crossfi73 Well-Known Member

I think the burgundy color might pull me into the Gustin chino world. Wondering what everyone else's experience has been with sizing on them.

I wear either a 31 straight or 32 slim in Gustin jeans, though I would probably opt for a 31 slim if not for the thigh being so small. I'm not sure how much stretch is in the Gustin twill chinos, but the sizing looks like I could get away with a 31 slim, given the extra thigh room. That being said, I'm not much for the ultra skinny chino look, and I'm having trouble translating the measurements into a good idea of how it would look.

Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  16. Churchill W

I wear 32 straight in denim and chinos. The chinos I have feel a bit more tapered though. I've had both of these hemmed since these were taken, but the chinos are more tapered.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Well-Known Member

I go up one size in chinos versus jeans. They don't stretch like denim in my experience at least.

1 person likes this.
  18. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

The burgundy is great! I would go 32 slim in the chino. They do fit better in the thighs then the denim. But it's only 7.5 oz so will sew up on the smaller side or just feel a bit smaller.

19. Usonian

Usonian Well-Known Member

I know this has been discussed several billion times in here, but how do the sneakers fit? I need white shoes, and I'm not spending 200 more dollars for a few little gold numbers.

I'm generally a 10.5E after break in, should I be going for the 10 or the 11? most of my sneakers are 10.5, so I can't really compare to those...

20. NorthCoast

I've been thinking the same thing though I'd have to have them hemmed. I like my chinos on the shorter side than denim, have no desire to roll them, and stacks on chinos would drive me crazy.

But you asked the same question I had. Thanks for the pics guys..