1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. KPDarb

KPDarb Well-Known Member

Cant wait to see how this ages. It looks amazing. Nice to have a reference from someone who is the exact same size as myself. Cheers!

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Another Dublin arrival here. The color has a redder tone than the photo, but that is fine. The hardware seems extremely heavy-duty - very cool. The leather is robust

The Horween logo is a little hard to see, but my guess is that would fade over time anyway.

I'm very happy!

3. LatAm

LatAm Active Member

Just backed the CXL #8 jacket.

Interesting that the % funded before was 20%, went up to 26%, so that would be 16 CXL #8 jackets to make 100% in this run.

4. crossfi73

crossfi73 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Yes that seems to be in line with the email they sent out explaining that these runs were simply to use up excess materials from the larger L1 runs. That should mean you get your jacket relatively quickly!

5. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Well-Known Member

That seems reasonable. Gustin said in their recent email before reposting the L1 jackets that they had to order extra leather to be sure they had enough for the first run and were now making a second small run to consume the extra leather.

I'm looking forward to cooler weather when I can wear this #8 jacket!

6. crossfi73

crossfi73 Well-Known Member

Appreciate your thoughts. I've tried to get my head over to this thinking, but my concerns still linger on the extent of and significance of the creasing. I'm not sure even after break-in if the rest of the jacket will crease enough to make this sleeve not look out of place. Further, I have (completely unqualified) concerns about the durability of that piece that may or may not be unfounded. Anxiously awaiting G's response to get some more thoughts on it.

On the cream/upkeep of the jacket, keep us updated on any experience/wisdom you acquire on the subject.

Also, your jacket looks awesome. I teetered between the natural and the #8 probably 5 or 6 times before I settled on the natural. Still like my decision but those #8s sure do look good.

7. LatAm

LatAm Active Member

Thanks crossfi73!

So if the current run of CXL #8 is only 16 jackets, does anyone have a feel for what size other runs might be? For something like a straight foward pair of jeans for example, or the eternal trucker jackets?

8. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

Given that they are making the jackets of surplus leather it doesn't seem like it would be analogous.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  9. LatAm

LatAm Active Member

Right, and also perhaps because the L1 jackets are much higher value items than Gustin's other stuff, I assumed the runs for other more affordable items would be a lot bigger.

10. pima1234

pima1234 Well-Known Member

I just hope this isn't the end for the L1. They have a nice product at a reasonable price point. The demand isn't going to that high, but they don't seem to have a problem selling.

In other words, I'd love to be able to get one in black, eventually.

11. mountainman3520

I've bought many items from Gustin and I usually check the change in %funded before and after to estimate the quantity made.

Usually its ~100 items. Sometimes they only have a small amount of rare fabric and make only 25. Often they say in the posting that its a very limited run.

If an item is selling well and they have access to more fabric, they will modify the total number available midway through the posting or freeze the %funded (which drives me crazy). So it can change around and there's no way to tell exactly how many.

I think it would be cool if instead of the %funded they posted remaining quantity available, starting at the planned number to be made and counting down to zero. That would maximize my excitement and fun, which is a big factor in why I like to buy items from Gustin.

1 person likes this.
  12. mountainman3520

Yo Pima! Its available in black now. 85% funded. Get it while the gettin is good!

Take out a second mortgage on your house and the jacket interest will be tax deductible. :)

1 person likes this.
  13. pima1234

^ Missed it. Put in for a notification. Maybe closer to the end of summer.

14. mountainman3520

Sorry, you're right. I'd neglected to refresh the page. Bummer.

1 person likes this.
  15. pima1234

16. globalroamer

globalroamer Well-Known Member

Not sure if this belongs to the thread. How is the quality of Gustin chinos compared to

a) epaulet
    b) Taylor Stitch
    c) Berg & Berg ?

is there a possibility to get a discount if I buy 10 at once ? :-|

17. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

18. globalroamer

globalroamer Well-Known Member

Could be various colors but if there are 2-4 of the same color i do not mind.

19. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Probably not possible because Gustin doesn't run that many chinos at the same time/you'd want to wait for the ones you like - so the purchases would be spread out

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  20. LatAm

LatAm Active Member

Hmm, really interesting, thanks for sharing. I've also noticed that there seems to be some fudging going on when a campaign for a specific item is coming to the end of the number of days planned but they haven't reached 100%, ie. they don't have as many backed items as they originally wanted to do the run. Seems to me that if they are close, the days remaining stays on 1 for multiple days and they artificially push the % backed up until it reaches 100%.

I guess it's no skin off our noses if they can still make it work with 80 items instead of 100, and perhaps the lack of transparency gives them a bit more flexibility. If you are one of the 80 backers you will be happy the item is still going to be made.

I'm curious what happens when there simply aren't enough backers and they decide not to go ahead with an item. I've never managed to notice it happening but it must have happened. I guess the item disappears from the website as if it had never existed?