1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. chimaki

chimaki Well-Known Member

Did anyone get the email update for November delivery shirts? Honest feedback, the communication is a huge upgrade, appreciate the updates vs the blind wait, but just leave out the "(this one will be shipping late)" next time. Lots of the stuff on the list is shipping late, albeit by an extremely small amount of time. Pointing out the last item will be late when several other items above are in the same boat just rubs customers the wrong way, at least me. Just give the timeline.

2. name

name Well-Known Member

Previously I was told Unbranded is a better value for the same price? How this evolved over time?

3. turdburglar

turdburglar Well-Known Member

I have two pairs of Unbranded and I really don't think they can compare to the pair of Rainbow Neps I have. The Neps are far better in quality and construction IMHO. Things that come to mind - the hardware used (i'm not a fan of the brass hardware on the Unbranded), material (I suppose the two types of denim used arent comparable though) and fit (the Neps fit spot on... and the pockets actually- stuff fits in them!).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. .bishop

.bishop Well-Known Member

I haven't done anything to them, I wear them about 2-3 times a week for at least 25 hours if you want to get that defined.

5. gustin

gustin Well-Known Member

Each denim fades a little differently. I've found the Japanese denims tend to hold their indigo a little longer than the American denim in general, with the Japan Standard and Heavy being even more resilient.

6. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

+1 on the update emails being a nice touch. Over-communicationg > under-communicating with stuff like this.

I've heard that Unbranded stepped up their game a little by switching factories at some point, but when I first saw them they were absolute shite...uneven stitching and hardware, belt loops that weren't sewn down correctly, just bad news all over the place.

While the price points are pretty similar, I would say that Gustin and Unbranded are almost at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of production practices. Unbranded keeps its price down through economies of scale, outsourcing manufacturing, and keeping hardware and embellishments to a minimum.

1 person likes this.
  7. gustin

gustin Well-Known Member

I get confused when people compare us as equals with Unbranded. We use denim from Cone Mills and top Japanese mills, and make everything in SF in the same shops at the other premium brands. I know we've mentioned this before, but our jeans would be (and were) $205-269 at retail - it's our business model that lets us sell at much lower prices.

8. hpreston

hpreston Well-Known Member

I had originally posted my thoughts on my first pair of Gustin's in the other Gustin thread, so I will follow up here.

I have no QA/QC issues with my jeans, so I will not address any of those issues.

I am pretty new to selvedged denim, just as an FYI.

My first pair was "The Thirteener" in straight cut, size 36. I was waffling between 35 and 36, but decided to go with 36. They arrived, and I was very pleased with the quality of the jeans, but the fit was "perfect" out of the box. Knowing they would stretch, I immediatly figured I should have gone with the 35. Well life gets in the way...I posted once in the other Gustin thread to see if anyone was interested in an exhcange, then thought about listing them on B&S, but never really followed up on either. About six week go by, and I decide to shoot Gustin an e-mail. I was already convinced that 1) it was my fault for not e-mailing immediately, and 2) they would not do anything for me (why would they?)

Well Cody was super nice, and offered to take back the jeans for either an exchange for what they had in stock in 35, or a credit for future runs...

As soon as they received my package Cody e-mails me that they have the orginial "Heavy" in stock in 35, so I jump on it. A couple days later, they arrive, I am glad I went a size down, and the Heavy is a great jean...

All in all, my cudos to Cody, and everyone at team Gustin for a great product, and great customer service....now to debate a blue OCBD...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  9. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

I have a pair of the UB206. Wore that thing for a few month and I'm noticing some stitching are beginning to unravel especially along the outer seam...My Heavy Americans, on the other hand, no damages whatsoever.
    +1

10. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

I think the comparison is only due to the price point. The difference is that Unbranded jeans are cheap (cutting corners), whereas Gustin jeans are not expensive (trimming overhead and limiting markups by eliminating middle-men).

In other news, cobalt flannel is en route. :slayer:

11. .bishop

.bishop Well-Known Member

not to compare, i love my jeans, but im disappointed they aren't moving in color compared to my KMW which were also Japanese

12. HOT Sriracha

HOT Sriracha Well-Known Member

If I'm local, would it be possible for me to visit the offices to try on shirts, jeans? thanks!

13. BernieIsMyCat

BernieIsMyCat Well-Known Member

Send an email to team@weargustin.com requesting an appointment. I've been there twice already. If you are local (or visiting SF) it's definitely worth a visit.

14. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Well-Known Member

Anyone taking advantage of Gustin's "Black Friday" sales? I got a second pair of Japan Standard's for $71/$95 shipped to Canada. I should see it sometime in January.

1 person likes this.
  15. StillFly

StillFly Active Member

I just backed the Japan Standard as well. My first pair of Gustin's and really high quality denim in general.

How do you like your first pair?

16. ryosuke

ryosuke Well-Known Member

I backed the Black2. I was hoping for a Black Black denim to show up, but there's not much time left.

17. wunnaz

wunnaz Well-Known Member

Hey Gustin Team, Can I request to customise for my ordered pair? i just wanna smaller 2 inches in Leg Opening. 18 inches for Leg Opening seems quite wide. I just ordered 33 Straight fit and may i know any shrinkage of #82 AMERICAN SIXTEENER ?

18. flatspotting

flatspotting Well-Known Member

They won't do custom orders.

You'll have to take it to a trusted tailor.

19. wunnaz

wunnaz Well-Known Member

Thanks for ur advice. I just change the order with 1 size up Slim fit.

20. flatspotting

flatspotting Well-Known Member

The reason I know is my dad is 6'7 and I ordered him a pair and asked about extending the inseam 1" and was told it would not be possible and they could not do anything custom. (This was about 3 weeks ago I asked)

1 person likes this.